36cm traditional bend aero bar - DIY?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

IMG_20230112_191345.jpg
Some photos as promised.

However, if op wants a long reach at hood, aerover may not be your choice. Its reach at drop is long, but relatively short at hood, since I have to mount the hoods high enough to offer more space for my hands due to its huge drop around the corner. In comparison, aeroflux offers 0.5-1cm more reach at hoods when I feel the same roomy comfort.

Also the bend at drop is quite tight, even my small hands (wearing small size gloves) feel slightly tight if I need to grab the lever at the drop for a long time.

You may try deda shallow first to check if it is the correct shape for you.
Attachments
IMG_20230112_191402.jpg
IMG_20230112_191418.jpg

physeter

by physeter

If you still want to get a mix of the Pro pursuit and the Zipp SL88 may you should ask some framebuilders, just found this post :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkwLLHg-Mw ... _copy_link

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thank you very much. Interesting shape and looks much deeper than I thought. I like it on your bike!

I had the Deda Vinci Shallow in 38 and returned it, does not look good and I don't hink it is aero but I liked the shape.
I also have a very rare Deda Campeone in 38 and like the shape.

So i might try the EXS, if I don't like it I can still sell it on or put it in my collection of one piece combos I don't use...

alanyu wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:25 pm
IMG_20230112_191345.jpgSome photos as promised.

However, if op wants a long reach at hood, aerover may not be your choice. Its reach at drop is long, but relatively short at hood, since I have to mount the hoods high enough to offer more space for my hands due to its huge drop around the corner. In comparison, aeroflux offers 0.5-1cm more reach at hoods when I feel the same roomy comfort.

Also the bend at drop is quite tight, even my small hands (wearing small size gloves) feel slightly tight if I need to grab the lever at the drop for a long time.

You may try deda shallow first to check if it is the correct shape for you.

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

This is excellent. I always admired the man's work! Will get in touch with him.
physeter wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:26 pm
If you still want to get a mix of the Pro pursuit and the Zipp SL88 may you should ask some framebuilders, just found this post :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkwLLHg-Mw ... _copy_link

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

We have some progress:
- a German welding firm will look at combining the aluminium bars. I'll send them the donor bars next week once I have the Pro Vibe Aero
- a German carbon expert with significant expertise in cycling will look at creating a narrow aero bar with traditional bend
- I ordered a 380 / 130mm EXS bar

I have also send emails to Mythos / Metron (for developing a product), Berk (for manually bonding a 3T and a Zipp SL) and English (for welding).

Lets see how this works out!

Thank you all for the kind and productive feedback and information so far!

physeter

by physeter

Great! Keep us updated.

Finn

by Finn

Wow, definitely watching this thread

C36

by C36

Fabianinduplo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:32 pm
We have some progress:
- a German welding firm will look at combining the aluminium bars. I'll send them the donor bars next week once I have the Pro Vibe Aero
- a German carbon expert with significant expertise in cycling will look at creating a narrow aero bar with traditional bend

I have also send emails to Mythos / Metron (for developing a product), Berk (for manually bonding a 3T and a Zipp SL) and English (for welding).

Hi Fabian, How is this coming together?

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Slower than I expected:
- the 380/130mm EXS bars arrived yesterday. They look high quality, but I'm not sure I like them. The bars look huge on the BMC TMR01 and my Pina F10 and the -10 degrees of course point the stem upwards. So exactly what I did not want. I will need to think about them. A few pictures below
- Rob English politely declined
- a 40cm Ritchey Streem II is on the way to Jure to make it a 36/37 bar if possible, this might be the best solution in the end although I don't like the tops
- the two Aluminium bars await being worked on at the welder...
- I had a very interesting discussion with the German carbon experts about building a small batch bar to my specs but it seems to be prohibitively expensive (EUR 1200 / bar for a series of 5-10)
- I enquired at Speeco if they can do a one-off bar for me. They did that already but EUR 1400 / piece
- no response from Mythos

So it will take a while. For those interested here are some pictures of the EXS:

C36 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:14 pm
Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

Attachments
EA80212A-DC8A-40F6-86FC-EB911FEAB5A8.jpeg
C6482048-F512-4CA9-8A64-9B8E690A9968.jpeg
3A5F6B6B-2555-4EB4-A27B-C332B6FE0267.jpeg
0F55C48A-216F-4C1C-92BD-A81B824DBD65.jpeg
6C15C616-A41C-401C-9480-3D62FC8E91CC.jpeg
15A93188-A1F3-48DB-AC1F-774276A93BAE.jpeg
1D093CD2-DD9D-4398-BB8A-773E2F895539.jpeg

C36

by C36

The bar will be pointing up if you have a -10 deg configuration, since that's a 1' 1/4", then you have room for a -3 deg angle, -13 will still be slightly up (around 5deg) but quite less.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Why would a 10deg stem be pointing down on a bike with ~17deg headtube? It should still point up 7deg just less than the usual 10-11deg

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Just to avoid confusion: I was totally aware that the stem points upwards with a -10° stem. -17° should be about level and anything else of course looks up. That is not a problem with a sloping top tube but looks very bad on bikes like the BMC TMR01. A -13° is where it starts working I guess.

Anyway: the main thing with the EXS combo is that it is a mighty component sitting next to the slim top tube of the BMC and the swooping lines of the Pina.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Fabianinduplo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:19 pm
Slower than I expected:
- the 380/130mm EXS bars arrived yesterday. They look high quality, but I'm not sure I like them. The bars look huge on the BMC TMR01 and my Pina F10 and the -10 degrees of course point the stem upwards. So exactly what I did not want. I will need to think about them. A few pictures below
- a 40cm Ritchey Streem II is on the way to Jure to make it a 36/37 bar if possible, this might be the best solution in the end although I don't like the tops
- I had a very interesting discussion with the German carbon experts about building a small batch bar to my specs but it seems to be prohibitively expensive (EUR 1200 / bar for a series of 5-10)
- I enquired at Speeco if they can do a one-off bar for me. They did that already but EUR 1400 / piece

So it will take a while. For those interested here are some pictures of the EXS:

C36 wrote:
Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

If you want to sell the EXS cockpit please let me know. Located in germany as well. cheers

micky

by micky

Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

Time ago I got in touch with the guy managing WR Compositi bike section and asked about a traditional bend bar (not aero) in carbon as they are difficult to get.
He said they still have molds and could be possible to get something done.
No idea if by any chance they would be able to manage an areo version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Sorry, just too late. I sent it back but they should soon have one available.
eins4eins wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:42 am
Fabianinduplo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:19 pm
Slower than I expected:

C36 wrote:
Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

If you want to sell the EXS cockpit please let me know. Located in germany as well. cheers