Elilee Blize XXE 680g Disc Frame 330g Fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wishmaster77

by Wishmaster77

Maddie wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:45 pm
I sanded 6 different frames to bare carbon in the last 6 months. This one was the easiest by a country mile. And I didn't do it for the weight saving primarily but rather to have a uniform surface on which paint can be added.
Stickers were over clearcoat.
Wow, thats a lot... i am at a Canyon Aeorad 2019 atm and its some tedious work.
Maybe some tipps from a pro? :lol: do you wet or dry sand? and which grit sandpaper do you use? I started with 320 but thats really slow progress...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The geometry seems odd. Super steep STA across the range of sizes makes for an interasting time if you need normal saddle set back.

Maddie

by Maddie

That's just the last 6 months, I don't know how many in total...

Mount the frame in a stable position and then start to remove the first layers with the knife. Pull the blade towards you, don't push. Remove as much clear, paint and primer as possible before you switch to sand paper. When you reach epoxy resin, the sound changes. That's when you want to use 320 grit paper. I wouldn't go coarser than that. I always dry sand with a quality face mask and filter. Wet sanding makes less of a mess but you don't see the progress and when to stop. On areas with easy access, you can also use a sander like the Bosch Professional GEX 12V, but only with a soft pad. You need to be careful and for a one-time project, it's probably overkill. After the 320, I use 400, 600 and then 800 grit sandpaper.

Areas like the rear flat mounts or the bottom bracket area where access is limited need a lot of patience. On average, I need around 20-25 hours from start to finish. Exceptions were Supersix EVO from 2013 was easiest (6 or 7 hours, lucky for me, the paintjob was lousy quality) and Venge from 2019 with a special edition paintjob was worst (>50 hours) because it had two complete paintjobs including clear. And that's always the problem with paintjobs. You never know what you can expect until you start... It's not a work that I like BTW :lol: :lol: I could tell lots of stories in terms of quality and also weight of paintjobs, from top tier manufacturers to open mould stuff that would probably surprise many. But this is not the place for that.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Maddie wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:45 pm
I could tell lots of stories in terms of quality and also weight of paintjobs, from top tier manufacturers to open mould stuff that would probably surprise many. But this is not the place for that.
You should start that thread...I'd definitely tune in frequently! (esp. if there were pictures).

haublock

by haublock

@maddie Any updates on your build? Really liking the frameset.

Maddie

by Maddie

No update, frame is still with the painter. But I'm supposed to receive it this week. Busy times at work so probably won't be able to build it before the weekend.

haublock

by haublock

So did you ever build the bike? :D

Maddie

by Maddie

Ah yes, forgot to post... Image

I had to modify the seatpost and the saddle clamps for the rails. Impossible to mount a Tune saddle otherwise.

6.7kg with bottle cages and Garmin mount. Fantastic handling, very responsive. I haven't touched my SL7 since I have this bike.Image

haublock

by haublock

Wow looks great. So it seems like you can fully recommend buying the frameset?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alanyu wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:35 am
It looks like an SL 7 copy. Pure white without logo.
The Elilee?
No it doesn't....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

alanyu

by alanyu

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:32 pm
alanyu wrote:
The Elilee?
No it doesn't....
Didn't you see the wind tunnel picture? They compare Blize with SL 7 and TCR, but SL 7 looks like a copy.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alanyu wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:41 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:32 pm
alanyu wrote:
The Elilee?
No it doesn't....
Didn't you see the wind tunnel picture? They compare Blize with SL 7 and TCR, but SL 7 looks like a copy.
I only ment the visual appearance...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Maddie wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:35 pm
Ah yes, forgot to post... Image

I had to modify the seatpost and the saddle clamps for the rails. Impossible to mount a Tune saddle otherwise.

6.7kg with bottle cages and Garmin mount. Fantastic handling, very responsive. I haven't touched my SL7 since I have this bike.Image
Any chance of posting more photos? Maybe a few closeups? It looks very nice! And maybe a build list?

Maddie

by Maddie

haublock wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:12 am
Wow looks great. So it seems like you can fully recommend buying the frameset?
Thank you. In terms of customer experience: You need to be comfortable to go through an order process on instagram. But they are responsive and helpful. No problem for me but YMMV.
I consider this frameset and EXS aerover handlebar excellent quality, both inside and outside. The seatpost clamp is a bit unsual but it works very well. You only need 3-4Nms of torque and there's no slipping at all. The only gripe is the design of the seat rails mount and the riv nuts for the bottle cages. The latter are suuuper soft and one of the threads couldn't handle 4Nm. I exchanged all of the them as a consequence.

I have no build list but most parts can be easily identified on the picture. Wheels are Farsports 45/28mm with RD230 hubs (1240g) and GP5000S TR in 28. Sanded Red AXS cranks, Quarq Dfour PM and Dura Ace pedals. Mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra 12s groupset (semi-wireless setup) and 11s Dura Ace chain rings. BB standard is BB386EVO and I'm using a generic threaded BB with NTN llb bearings.

Two crit races so far with it and very happy how it handles. Will try to add more pics during the weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

A question: price of the frame set is over 2000 euro.
Is it too expensive as a Chinese frame from AliExpress ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
http://eliflap.it/