Help me find a comfy (and light) saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RNAV

by RNAV

Berk wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:58 pm
RNAV wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:38 pm

Berk refused to accept delivery of the saddle twice, and it got returned to me both times. I said the hell with it, repaired it myself, and then sold all my Berks.

Now, if Berk were ever to create a structural carbon fiber connection between the saddle rails and shell that didn't rely solely on the strength of expoxy adhesion, I'd probably reconsider despite the clownshow of warranty support because the saddles are extremely comfortable.
Hi,
sorry if there were problems, we have problems with Slovenian customs and also if it is shipped to us we can't import it. It is really hard to work with EU/Slovenian customs since they reject packages which don't contain an invoice or any kind of official document. We can't import even if it is a repair/warranty request in most cases. Unfortunately it can get as complicated as I described.

If you had a warranty case please contact info(a)berk-composites.com and we'll take care, we are happy to provide a replacement if you liked the saddle shape. We give our best and the saddles are ISO tested, shouldn't fail like that (material failure) and we give our best to prevent any kind of such failure. Also working hard to provide test saddles to our dealers and it slowly got more and more popular, if possible we direct our customers to the closest dealer and hopefully you can get there a TEST saddle to try it out for a week or two. Since it is an expensive product and it depends from each cyclists we give our best to provide that service worldwide.
Berk,

Thank you for commenting. The complications with EU/Slovenian customs you described are exactly the challenges I experienced -- the saddles got stuck in Slovenian customs, and Slovenian customs said the recipient could not accept the package.

Is it true that you had issues with faulty epoxy (as @kode54 stated) and have since corrected this? If so, I'd be willing to give your saddles another shot. Sometimes bad luck can happen, and perhaps I was unlucky and bought some saddles with faulty epoxy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
no problem! Yes unfortunatley in some cases they don't even check with us if there isn't any document included, we can't get it from the customs in some cases, depends on who is taking care of the paper work there, so sorry for all the trouble.

Yes we had in the past an epoxy recall from the epoxy manufacturer, but they were too late and around 250 saddles had that faulty material. We contactec most customers and replaced them, if they didn't failed already, so if there is any problem for anyone just drop us an email we always took care. Thanks!

DHG01

by DHG01

I use Berk Dila on 3 bikes. Very comfy saddle (alongside light and good looking). The oldest has been with me 3 years almost; no issues with any of the three.

I wouldn't want to put a Berk on a gravel bike (Berk - feedback welcome). For my gravel bike, I use this one. More humble option, but cheaper and also light and comfy. It weighs about 120 grams.
Attachments
6A1CCEC2-59C6-47AD-8B2F-4D5EEB98904C.jpeg

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Our saddles really aren't the most robust and in case of a crash or bigger impact it can of course get damaged

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

RNAV wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:25 am

Another option that I have not tried yet, but looks promising is the Repente Prime 3.0. It's relatively light, not crazy expensive, and appears to be robust with the rail-to-saddle-shell connection.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in with narrow saddle suggestions as I'm back in the market in light of Selle Italia's decision to stop producing SLR Superflows.
Repente Italian Road Bike Carbon Saddle Aleena 4.0 - been using this for >5000km - majority of it indoor and some out door.

It is light and comfortable for me (~130lbs) - the advantage of this saddle being that you can swap out the top for something with more padding and leave the chassis in place (not having to keep resetting the saddle fore/aft position or tilt - i have not had to swap the Aleena top for another option.

My bibs have contributed alot to comfort on the bike as well e.g. some bibs i'd not do any indoor rides on whereas others i can opt for 90min rides.

ry5n

by ry5n

Thanks for the input everyone! I’m in touch with the North American distributor for Berk and will see if they have a test Lupina available. I may also try out a non-Boost Selle Italia SLR. We’ll see how it goes.

forklifter

by forklifter

Also Think about Selle San Marco Shortfit Superleggera

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

RNAV wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:25 am
I also have 100mm sit bones and have found it challenging to find saddles that are narrow enough to be comfortable. After much trial and error, I settled on the Selle Italia SLR Superflow (non-boost versions) series (various models with different rails, but same shape). Unfortunately, Selle Italia has decided to discontinue the SLR Superflow shape and only produce SLR Boost shape saddles, which don't work as well for me. Good news = you might be able to find some SLR Superflow saddles on sale. Bad news = you might not be able to get any more in the future.

I also got on well with the Berk Lupina, but all three saddles I tried broke where the rails are epoxied to the saddle shell. I would not recommend Berk until they make their saddles more robust.

Another option that I have not tried yet, but looks promising is the Repente Prime 3.0. It's relatively light, not crazy expensive, and appears to be robust with the rail-to-saddle-shell connection.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in with narrow saddle suggestions as I'm back in the market in light of Selle Italia's decision to stop producing SLR Superflows.
Well I struggled for years and the best fit was a SLR saddle. My brother had the same. Gelu saddles are a horror for me. Never had such a painful saddle. After 10min my seatbones where hurting like hell. It's just because I was sitting on the cut out ridges so this saddle form is not for me
I discovered that a really flat saddle worked best so took a shot an tried the selle flite boost
Best saddle for me I ever had.
The slr boost shape is different from the old and is less flat then the old slr saddle.
The old flite long saddle doesn't suit me but the flite boost on the contrary suits me very well
My brother changed also from his beloved old long slr saddles and now rides all flite boost
Give them a try I think they suit you if I hear the the slr is fitting you

RNAV

by RNAV

wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am
Well I struggled for years and the best fit was a SLR saddle. My brother had the same. Gelu saddles are a horror for me. Never had such a painful saddle. After 10min my seatbones where hurting like hell. It's just because I was sitting on the cut out ridges so this saddle form is not for me
I discovered that a really flat saddle worked best so took a shot an tried the selle flite boost
The slr boost shape is different from the old and is less flat then the old slr saddle.
The old flite long saddle doesn't suit me but the flite boost on the contrary suits me very well
My brother changed also from his beloved old long slr saddles and now rides all flite boost
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at them previously because I was concerned the 135mm width may be too wide for me.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

RNAV wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:12 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at them previously because I was concerned the 135mm width may be too wide for me.
Flite saddles are typically for seatbone widths between 100-114 and the nose is long and not wide so perfect. As said the long flite didn't suit me burchten boost is ideal

cheapvega

by cheapvega

naavt wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:10 pm
ry5n wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:23 pm

[*] SMP Stratos (relatively comfy but heavy)

I’m looking for advice on what to do next. Should I:

Thanks all 🙏
I've learn at my own expense (literally), that the best saddle is the most confortable one. Not the most expensive or the lightest!

After years of trial and error and spending my hard earned money on almost everything light and top of the line, I've ended with a 3d printed ZTTO saddle bought for cheap on AliExpress, and I can tell you 2 things:

1. It's probably the heaviest saddle I haver had
2. It's the most confortable one and the only where I'm capable of some amount of suffering on a indoor trainer.

So my advise is... Forget the weight and keep the SMP if that's the one that makes your bum happy!
How cheap are we talking? Do you have a link to the specific one? Only ones I've seen are about $70.

ry5n

by ry5n

An update on my progress: Eric at Elite Velo in the States was able to send me a test Lupina in 132 width, though they don't have an official test program at the moment.

It's worked out better than the Schmolke TLO 65, so I bought one. I recently clocked some longer rides and had some discomfort return, so I'm considering trying a Selle Italia C59 if they are in fact being discontinued.

The other route I could go is to add padding (foam with a cover, cork or even custom 3D-printed TPU) to the Schmolke 🤔

tireheb

by tireheb

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:15 pm
For my gravel bike, I use this one. More humble option, but cheaper and also light and comfy. It weighs about 120 grams.
Would you recommend this ali saddle for someone with 100mm sitbones?

macwatt

by macwatt

ry5n wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:23 pm
I had my heart set on a Gelu saddle, but eventually picked a Schmolke TLO 65 because of the forward rail position.

After 2 weeks of 2 hour rides (mostly indoors), I don’t think it’s going to work out. No matter where I sit, I end up with perineum pressure.

Previous saddles:
  • Romin Evo 143 mm (sitbone and inside/rear thigh pain)
  • SMP Stratos (relatively comfy but heavy)
I have fairly narrow (100 mm) sitbones, so I assumed the issue with the Romin was the width.

I’m looking for advice on what to do next. Should I:
  • Try another unpadded saddle, maybe a little wider/curvier? Gelu E-series maybe?
  • Try a lightweight padded saddle? Berk Lupina?
  • Skip the trial and error and go custom with Meld? Not exactly heavy but heavier than I'd like, and aesthetically less than ideal. But could be worth it to find the right shape?
Thanks all 🙏
My sit bone width is 95mm I have eventually managed to find the types of saddle that suit

Width < 135mm
Slope - fairly flat saddle
Saddle tilt - I use spirit level laid across saddle then sit small finger underneath at saddle tip until spirit is level.

For outside currently using

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-primavera-carbon-saddle

For indoors

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-marc ... mic-saddle

These are by far the cheapest saddles I have ever used but by far the most comfortable due to the correct width and shape.
Last edited by macwatt on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seph

by Seph

I have a san marco aspire from second hand and it's pretty horrible.
the saddle were like new but after 3k kms every parts of the rail is became loose.
I'm planning to swap it soon. As the weight 200g real with manganese rails is pretty good for me, also it's comfy.

the repente looks ok but still low on reviews

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com