Next gen LOOK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ytse

by Ytse

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:24 pm
Ytse wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 pm
Looks like every other dropped seatstay semi aero allround race bike. If you cover the logo, it can be literally anything. Too bad. :/
Yeah but it's more or less a forced progress.
The main has been light bikes for eternity.
Then came aero, but people kind of noticed that these became like heavy old bikes.
So this i guess is the half-breeds!?

I still wonder what next chapter in frameset design will be.
I have a hard time seeing these designs hammer a full blown aero bike.

I wonder when a shield going from low fork, hiding front caliper (partly and most of the time downtube to) and stem will be on the radar.
A new crop of handlebars you lean forearms on. If you're going to gain speed and save time, it's probably on the flat.
True that. When you start to design a bike in a wind tunnel / CFD analysis, eventually all should be the same - something within UCI limits, optimized for drag. Less and less bikes will have a distinct personality.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

the diff in drag between the current lowest drag bike simplon pride2 and pina dogma is less than 5w(tour mag data)
the dogma is 1lb lighter. look finally decided to get their sh***t together and do proper testing. the result a frame that looks alot like a tarmac sl7 but with a cleaner front end integration. look's manufacturing/tolerances are superior to most asian made frames. looks like a winner.

wheelsONfire wrote:
Ytse wrote:
Looks like every other dropped seatstay semi aero allround race bike. If you cover the logo, it can be literally anything. Too bad. :/
Then came aero, but people kind of noticed that these became like heavy old bikes.

I wonder when a shield going from low fork, hiding front caliper (partly and most of the time downtube to) and stem will be on the radar.
A new crop of handlebars you lean forearms on. If you're going to gain speed and save time, it's probably on the flat.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

mrlobber

by mrlobber

To my eyes, it doesn't look like the fork/downtube interface could clear big tyres (32mm + WAM).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RDY

by RDY

spartan wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:09 pm
the diff in drag between the current lowest drag bike simplon pride2 and pina dogma is less than 5w(tour mag data)
the dogma is 1lb lighter. look finally decided to get their sh***t together and do proper testing. the result a frame that looks alot like a tarmac sl7 but with a cleaner front end integration. look's manufacturing/tolerances are superior to most asian made frames. looks like a winner.

wheelsONfire wrote:
Ytse wrote:

Where are you getting it from that they're doing 'proper testing' (define proper testing) and have departed from what they did before? Reportedly they were mainly doing CFD before ... I doubt that has changed much. Can't imagine a brand of their size is spending a lot of time working on transient testing outdoors with the right equipment to measure and right people to analyze. The only bigger brand we know of doing this is Pon with the new Reserve wheels - and then the results are arguable. Wind tunnel static testing is pretty hopeless, and mainly an expensive marketing crutch for bigger brands. Edit: If you're referring to their IRL conditions (velodrome) testing of their track and TT stuff, then the French cycling federation massively subsidizes this. There's no analogue for their road stuff.

Dunno about being better than most Asian made frames. Since the 795 has been made in TW since the RS changes for MY21, and there've been BB shell and frame cracking issues reported. In fact I think maybe the Tunisia production has eneded entirely now? Their track and TT stuff is made in France AFAIK, and now that production has ceased on non RS versions of the 795, that might be the end of made in NA (North Africa)?

But it is a shame that this looks so derivative, when the 795 series has been so out there previously, and their highly successful track offerings (and 795 TT) are anything but derivative, and beautiful with it.
Last edited by RDY on Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDY

by RDY

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:46 pm
To my eyes, it doesn't look like the fork/downtube interface could clear big tyres (32mm + WAM).
Looks plenty to me, and more than enough at the back, which is usually the tighter.

naavt

by naavt

I was very afraid to commit to a 795 RS like I did one month ago, simply because I was advised by Look importer themselfs that they had the new bike presentation comming just one month ahead.

Now, after looking at the new bike... I'm very pleased with my decision of buying a 795 RS!

I would be happy even if I had bought it without a discount, imagine how happy I am knowing I got it at a huge black Friday discount :D

Only thing that I've asked the importer is if the integrated cockpit is made by Look, and if yes... If there's any possibility to integrate it in my 795 frame. They don't have that kind of information right now but they are going to see if that's a possibility.
Last edited by naavt on Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDY

by RDY

naavt wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:52 pm
I was very afraid to commit to a 795 RS like I did one month ago, simply because I was advised by Look importer themselfs that they had the new bike presentation comming just one month ahead.

Now, after looking at the new bike... I'm very pleased with my decision of buying a 795 RS! Even if I didn't bought it with a great BF discount, which I did!

Only thing that I've asked the importer is if the integrated cockpit is made by Look, and if yes... If there's any possibility to integrate it in my 795 frame. They don't have that kind of information right now but they are going to see if that's a possibility.
Pretty sure the new bike is using a round steerer (likely 1 1/8") and IS52, per the new Optimum. So latter unlikely to be possible.

naavt

by naavt

RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm

Pretty sure the new bike is using a round steerer (likely 1 1/8") and IS52, per the new Optimum. So latter unlikely to be possible.
This is my mod for my integrated handlebar. It works fine. It's just a case of knowing if the new cockpit is Look made (if it's not I'll keep mine), and if it's not a proprietary fit to some awkard shaped steerer tube

RDY

by RDY

naavt wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:58 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm

This is my mod for my integrated handlebar. It works fine. It's just a case of knowing if the new cockpit is Look made (if it's not I'll keep mine), and if it's not a proprietary fit to some awkard shaped steerer tube

But surely the 795 steerer is a flattened 1 1/4"? You can't fit a 1 1/4" steerer into a 1 1/8" cockpit.

naavt

by naavt

RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:05 pm

But surely the 795 steerer is a flattened 1 1/4"? You can't fit a 1 1/4" steerer into a 1 1/8" cockpit.
That ring that you see in the picture is a reducer for fitting a 1 1/8 stem into a 1 1/4 steerer fork like the Blade

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Last gen 795 blade/rs was built with compromise for regular sapiens.

This one prob built for supersapiens to win races...not that previous gen was not capable.

Wondering what geometry might be and compliance..

racingtiger

by racingtiger

I, for one, love the new Look VR795 SL Evo Hi-Mod Advanced.
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

Leon

by Leon

naavt wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:52 pm
Now, after looking at the new bike... I'm very pleased with my decision of buying a 795 RS!
+1 very happy with the 795RS. The looks are just (almost) one of a kind (if we forget the old Madone or the Lapierre Aircode).

And I'm in the market for a 785 Huez RS. But lets see which bike this new bike is going to replace. Possibly both?
Ride bikes, not tanks!

eric01

by eric01

Hoping this is a good one. Have a soft spot for look. Rode a kg381 back in the day and had a 585 for a brief period too. Both excellent bikes.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Aress

by Aress

So i got new inforamtion:
-Bike wont be realeased in 2023
-All the riders are extremly happy with the bike
-Cofidis ows 300k to DeRosa because of the leaks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com