Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

ilprofessore wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:12 am
All I got were the black ones with my frame. Has anyone reached out to cannondale or a distributor about this?

It seems odd that there is no direction given at all for installation nor specificity of insert. If cannondale would just stop the insanity and put their service manuals online too, it would help.
There's this manual and it's where I read about the pink fillers

https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/file ... 3-eng.ashx
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Aren't the SystemBar R-One and the C1 Conceal Stem just using standard 1 1/8" round clamps? Looks like it from the pictures... If so, could it be the pink vs black fillers only differ in length to match the stack height of each stem clamp and maximize the surface area? And maybe the pink ones only come with the SystemBar that requires them? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:50 am
Aren't the SystemBar R-One and the C1 Conceal Stem just using standard 1 1/8" round clamps? Looks like it from the pictures... If so, could it be the pink vs black fillers only differ in length to match the stack height of each stem clamp and maximize the surface area? And maybe the pink ones only come with the SystemBar that requires them? :noidea:
EF-Tibco-SVB, and the bike shop in Australia that posted the video, found some way to make a one piece barstem that is not the Momo work. Surely EF has special access to Cannondale parts, and I hope my bike shop can duplicate its Australian comrades' success.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

alanyu wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:35 pm
Wait for June or July. EXS has started the first draft of the headset cover and the triangle shim. I've ordered a LAB7, but it will be first delivered to him, which is supposed to arrive in May. Thus, he can properly R&D then. I will pick up the bike in summer when I travel back home.

P. S. It's the same problem for Ostro ver. 1 and ver. 2, which also need a proper shim instead of the original one.
ilprofessore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:08 pm
So i just built my himod frame up...a word of warning with the EXS Aerover bars:

first off, they are great looking bars and seem very well constructed...however, the issue with fitment on the new EVO is that since they are made with a sleeve to accomodate both 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 steerers, the fit with the triangle steerer and wedges makes for a wobbly fit at full sprint level bar pulling. I'll keep them just to maybe throw them on my Standert or something as a backup bike.

If you are a climber or just rolling i think its probably A-OK. But for me it was just too much slop for me to be happy. Everything was torqued to spec and the wedges were totally flush as well so the fit was solid, its just that sleeve+the steerer design isn't ideal. Threw and SL7 stem on and its pretty solid, no worries.

58cm w/ DA 12sp, and a power2max ROTOR powermeter crank, DA pedals, alpinist 2 wheels and 5000S TR 25mm tires, SL7 stem and enve aerobar...6.8kg on the nose. Lighter than i thought it woudl be. oh, maybe ad 50g for sealant. pretty good.
Nice to know 👍👍👍 I really like the bars and want to use those. Momo bars I have in order too but will not ship soon 🤣

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:09 am
I read somewhere too that the bike uses pink steerer tube spacers for the Momo one piece cockpit, which is disconcerting as I don't remember seeing pink spacers in the parts box that came with my frameset and a mechanic is starting to build my bike using a one piece cockpit on Sunday or Monday.
My assumption would be that the pink fillers are very specifically for the Momo bar only. There's really no logical reason why they should also be used for other one piece cockpits just because the Momo is a one piece.

Annoyingly the Owners Manual doesn't specificy which fillers to use for other stems than the Momo or Conceal - but if the frame only comes with the black ones for the Conceal then almost certainly the Conceal has a 'normal' clamping area and for some reason the Momo doesn't.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ilprofessore wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:12 am
It seems odd that there is no direction given at all for installation nor specificity of insert. If cannondale would just stop the insanity and put their service manuals online too, it would help.
Cannondale supplemental manuals are both online and supplied with bikes/frames. They're not super comprehensive but they do show you what to do with the inserts if you're using either one of Cannondale's stem options.

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

I have it. But like you said, not super comprehensive. When shimano put their shop manuals online awhile ago it was a huge boon to everyone. I wish C did the same.

I do love that all spares are SKU’d in the manual as opposed to some Italian manufacturers where you’re lucky to find a seat wedge spare that fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:39 am
Stendhal wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:09 am
I read somewhere too that the bike uses pink steerer tube spacers for the Momo one piece cockpit, which is disconcerting as I don't remember seeing pink spacers in the parts box that came with my frameset and a mechanic is starting to build my bike using a one piece cockpit on Sunday or Monday.
My assumption would be that the pink fillers are very specifically for the Momo bar only. There's really no logical reason why they should also be used for other one piece cockpits just because the Momo is a one piece.

Annoyingly the Owners Manual doesn't specificy which fillers to use for other stems than the Momo or Conceal - but if the frame only comes with the black ones for the Conceal then almost certainly the Conceal has a 'normal' clamping area and for some reason the Momo doesn't.
That would explain why pink fillers were not included with my frameset-only, no Momo purchase, so I hope you're correct. Thanks Karvalo :thumbup:

StevieB

by StevieB

The black spacers that come with framesets are the universal ones, as confirmed to me pre-receipt by Cannondale. Those and the threaded top cap allow use of a standard 1 1/8 stem.

That said, I wish they'd shipped it with some full-size spacers for non-integrated stems. I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of lateral flex I'm seeing from the delta steerer, and when trial mounting bar/stem combos I know to be solid, they no longer feel that way tugging at the bars ala sprinting. As it is, the supplied spacers are only 37mm tall at the "feet", and 30mm for most of the spacer. With stem stacks being generally 40mm or more, that leaves a good centimeter of the stem unsupported on either side, at the bottom if the spacers are installed as directed. The cutaways in front of the "feet" are only there to make room for internal cables, and so are unneeded if running them externally. I think this exacerbates the inherent flex in the steerer.

The bikes are obviously performing well under pros with more or less slammed one-piece setups, but I'm suspecting that if you add some spacers and a standard stem the results may be less than ideal.

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

I may just fabricate solid spacers from a colnago D steerer section. See if it changes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

StevieB wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:45 am
The black spacers that come with framesets are the universal ones, as confirmed to me pre-receipt by Cannondale. Those and the threaded top cap allow use of a standard 1 1/8 stem.

That said, I wish they'd shipped it with some full-size spacers for non-integrated stems. I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of lateral flex I'm seeing from the delta steerer, and when trial mounting bar/stem combos I know to be solid, they no longer feel that way tugging at the bars ala sprinting. As it is, the supplied spacers are only 37mm tall at the "feet", and 30mm for most of the spacer. With stem stacks being generally 40mm or more, that leaves a good centimeter of the stem unsupported on either side, at the bottom if the spacers are installed as directed. The cutaways in front of the "feet" are only there to make room for internal cables, and so are unneeded if running them externally. I think this exacerbates the inherent flex in the steerer.

The bikes are obviously performing well under pros with more or less slammed one-piece setups, but I'm suspecting that if you add some spacers and a standard stem the results may be less than ideal.
Very helpful, thank you. I've instructed the mechanic to use a 10mm spacer, so I hope that is not too much.

The build in this video surely has >10 mm of spacers, that being said it could be built but have suboptimal performance as you said.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCSksykuPo

StevieB

by StevieB

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 pm
StevieB wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:45 am

Very helpful, thank you. I've instructed the mechanic to use a 10mm spacer, so I hope that is not too much.

The build in this video surely has >10 mm of spacers, that being said it could be built but have suboptimal performance as you said.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCSksykuPo
I think you'll be fine with that setup. The oem stems (as well as the Vision Metron) interface well with the supplied aero spacers, which are a lot wider laterally than a typical round stem height spacer. That wider contact point area should help mitigate the flex of the steerer, and the lower you go the better of course. I think the issue is going to be more noticeable with standard, non-integrated stems as shown in the attached pic (from the Singapore reveal, if memory serves). Take the smaller diameter stem clamp, add a few round spacers above the bearing cap and it starts to get quite noodly; moreso than I've seen on a bike in a good while. Note that the setup in the pic is not actually rideable; they have the small external aluminum spacer (that supports the internal spacers) below the carbon one, so the internal spacers would actuall fall down to it. In that shot, the upper half of the stem would not have any support at all on the sides where the steerer is triangular. Maybe ok for showing on a stand, but not for riding!

Thinking I'll end up with a conceal stem once they're available; hope they're not boat anchors... :wink:
Attachments
Standard Stem Setup.jpg
Last edited by StevieB on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieB

by StevieB

Deleted double post

chris1234

by chris1234

So is the delta steerer a wet noodle then?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StevieB

by StevieB

chris1234 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:13 pm
So is the delta steerer a wet noodle then?
That might be a bit strong, but at first encounter it certainly doesn't seem to have the lateral stiffness of a standard round steerer. At least in comparison to the bikes in my inventory. Makes sense due to the dimensions. It should be good longitudinally, since it's full depth in that direction. I suspect it's designed to work best with either of the OEM stems and related spacers, and while it will work with standard, non-integrated stems, you're going to lose some stiffness if you can't take advantage of the wider aero spacer interface. That will apply especially for folks running higher bars/more (round) spacers.

Still getting parts together for my build, so it remains to be seen how noticeable it is on the road, but when putting opposing force on the bars with bar/stem in roughly final position, you can easily see the uncut portion of the extended steer flexing laterally. Same bar stem combo as on my Aspero (Uno 3D/Easton EC90), so that's a known item. Marked difference between the two.