Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

So i just built my himod frame up...a word of warning with the EXS Aerover bars:

first off, they are great looking bars and seem very well constructed...however, the issue with fitment on the new EVO is that since they are made with a sleeve to accomodate both 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 steerers, the fit with the triangle steerer and wedges makes for a wobbly fit at full sprint level bar pulling. I'll keep them just to maybe throw them on my Standert or something as a backup bike.

If you are a climber or just rolling i think its probably A-OK. But for me it was just too much slop for me to be happy. Everything was torqued to spec and the wedges were totally flush as well so the fit was solid, its just that sleeve+the steerer design isn't ideal. Threw and SL7 stem on and its pretty solid, no worries.

58cm w/ DA 12sp, and a power2max ROTOR powermeter crank, DA pedals, alpinist 2 wheels and 5000S TR 25mm tires, SL7 stem and enve aerobar...6.8kg on the nose. Lighter than i thought it woudl be. oh, maybe ad 50g for sealant. pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

I heard from the dealer here May for delivery of Lab71 and bought an Aeroad CFR EPS today. I'm not waiting around for a frame that might never turn up.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

ilprofessore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:08 pm
So i just built my himod frame up...a word of warning with the EXS Aerover bars:

first off, they are great looking bars and seem very well constructed...however, the issue with fitment on the new EVO is that since they are made with a sleeve to accomodate both 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 steerers, the fit with the triangle steerer and wedges makes for a wobbly fit at full sprint level bar pulling. I'll keep them just to maybe throw them on my Standert or something as a backup bike.

If you are a climber or just rolling i think its probably A-OK. But for me it was just too much slop for me to be happy. Everything was torqued to spec and the wedges were totally flush as well so the fit was solid, its just that sleeve+the steerer design isn't ideal. Threw and SL7 stem on and its pretty solid, no worries.

58cm w/ DA 12sp, and a power2max ROTOR powermeter crank, DA pedals, alpinist 2 wheels and 5000S TR 25mm tires, SL7 stem and enve aerobar...6.8kg on the nose. Lighter than i thought it woudl be. oh, maybe ad 50g for sealant. pretty good.
That's really a pity. Did you communicate this to EXS ? This is by far the best fitting bar to date. Hate to fit some normal stem/handlebar in that frame. I ordered the for my V3rs which has now a farsport on it. Didn't find any slack there tough it also uses a half moon wedge and those famous reduction spacers

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ilprofessore wrote:

Which steerer filler pieces did you use? IIRC Cannondale supplies different fillers for the cockpit and stem

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

So @wickedstealthy no, but i also own a V3RS and it may go on that bike. I think its the 2 wedges pluss the aluminum sizing collar on the EXS/Evo combo that just a bit too slack. The V3RS with only the front section wedge needign to be pulled in should work better. I actually cut a wedge from the extra steerer i lopped off. Its a perfect fit and offers a much more solid clamping base to work with. I have more confidence clamping it on the V3rs setup than on this one. Again, it works. But I'm big and have been a sprinter since i could turn a pedal, so my preferences for rock solid bars skew to the shimano PRO full alloy end of the spectrum. YMMV

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

[/quote]

Which steerer filler pieces did you use? IIRC Cannondale supplies different fillers for the cockpit and stem
[/quote]

Yeah, its a good point. I am building a fuselage here. So i only have the black spacers not the pink?, i think they are pink, ones.

StevieB

by StevieB

ilprofessore wrote:

Your experience mirrors my observations regarding stiffness at the stem/bars. I'm still waiting on parts to build my frame with, but while fooling around with different non-integrated stem/bar combos in the meantime, I am seeing significantly more lateral flex when tugging at the bars ala sprinting than on other bikes with round steerers using the same bar/stem. My steerer is still uncut, and you can see the flex in the steerer tube easily. The Delta steerer can't be as laterally stiff as a round one at the bar/stem junction, so it appears CD are depending on a wide stem/spacer interface for lateral bending stiffness. I could see that being an issue depending on choice of stem...

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ilprofessore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 pm
Yeah, its a good point. I am building a fuselage here. So i only have the black spacers not the pink?, i think they are pink, ones.
Not sure but ccache built their new SSE with Aerover too so surely there's a way to make it work?

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

StevieB wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 pm
ilprofessore wrote:

Your experience mirrors my observations regarding stiffness at the stem/bars. I'm still waiting on parts to build my frame with, but while fooling around with different non-integrated stem/bar combos in the meantime, I am seeing significantly more lateral flex when tugging at the bars ala sprinting than on other bikes with round steerers using the same bar/stem. My steerer is still uncut, and you can see the flex in the steerer tube easily. The Delta steerer can't be as laterally stiff as a round one at the bar/stem junction, so it appears CD are depending on a wide stem/spacer interface for lateral bending stiffness. I could see that being an issue depending on choice of stem...
The SL7 stem is pretty solid. what i may do is shim the flat edge of the wedges in order to take out all the slack before tightening. I'd also really appreciate it if there is a better connection to be had with the conceal stem...if @cannondale would just release the damn things.

alanyu

by alanyu

Wait for June or July. EXS has started the first draft of the headset cover and the triangle shim. I've ordered a LAB7, but it will be first delivered to him, which is supposed to arrive in May. Thus, he can properly R&D then. I will pick up the bike in summer when I travel back home.

P. S. It's the same problem for Ostro ver. 1 and ver. 2, which also need a proper shim instead of the original one.
ilprofessore wrote:

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

That’s good to know. I’ll hold onto them. Not relishing rerouting brake hoses. But cest la vie these days with bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I just got home from 15 days riding in Girona....Trip of a lifetime as I had 1 hour of rain in 15 days and was able to ride 1,162 miles and 75,000' climbing.
My SuperSix Evo4 HiMod frame was wairing at home when I arrived and hopefully it'll be fully built by Thursday assuming my Bar arrives this upcoming week.
SS4 HiMod 54 Frameset Black/Yellow
Full Sram Red - 48x35t - 172.5 - 10-28t Rainbow
Assioma Dual PM Pedals
Vision Trimax Aero Carbon 38cm Bar
Exralite 120mm -6 Stem
Farsports Feder 45's 1,239 grams Wheelset
Veloflex Corsa Race 25's TLR Tires
Galfer Road Wave CL 160/140mm Rotors
Fizik Antares 00 Carbon Saddle
Lizard Skinz 1.8mm Black Camo Bartape
x2 Cannondale Aero Cage - Bottles
Garmin Mount/Go-Pro
I should be at 6.8KG with pedals/Cages/Comp Mount since my Wheels are so light weight
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Weights for Frameset parts:
54 HiMod Laguna Yellow - 810 grams for frame with Derailleur Hanger, 6 bottle bolts and front Derailleur mount
Fork - 410 grams
Seatpost - with the 2 plastic dowels - 167 grams
Bottle cage - 47 grams
Aero Bottle - 69 grams
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Stendhal

by Stendhal

ilprofessore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]

I read somewhere too that the bike uses pink steerer tube spacers for the Momo one piece cockpit, which is disconcerting as I don't remember seeing pink spacers in the parts box that came with my frameset and a mechanic is starting to build my bike using a one piece cockpit on Sunday or Monday.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

All I got were the black ones with my frame. Has anyone reached out to cannondale or a distributor about this?

It seems odd that there is no direction given at all for installation nor specificity of insert. If cannondale would just stop the insanity and put their service manuals online too, it would help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com