Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mike’s Bikes has the obvious advantage in that they are the only bike shop with the same corporate owners as Cannondale.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Stendhal wrote:Without further ado, CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO 4 HI-MOD LAGUNA YELLOW ACTUAL WEIGHTS, size 56.
Any weighing errors mine, but last time I did this my Park Scale weights were close to the LBS weights.

Uncut fork: 431 g
(On the high end. But the Australia bike shop video was right, the forks is elegant.)

Cage: 46 g
Bottle: 66 g
(As you'll see if I can post pictures, very unimpressive plastic. cajer, strongly thinking of seeling to you cheap. Depends on a few htings.)

Thru-axle front: 26 g
Thru-axle rear: 45 g
(Very good!)

Seatpost including two white plastic dowels on the rails I dared not remove: 162 g
Light! It's beautiful too.

Di2 hole plug: 3 g
(I'm SRAM all the way so this is an annoyance. By the way, the pre-race commentators were right -- there are holes all over! The Di2 bottom hole, the downtube hole to be covered by the small plate (also useless for me as a SRAM fan), a hole on the other side of the front derailleur mount, etc. Holey moley!)

LOTS of small parts, hopefully I can show. Did not open headset from plastic bag to weigh it.

And for the grand finale --

Frame including front derailleur hanger and dropout: .84 kg
(My scale is only two decimal places so technically not 840 g, but a good surrogate.)
So probably NOT unreasonable to cite 810g for black matte.
The entire box was ridiculously light. The frame is close to rim brake Cervelo territory, it floats (perhaps due to all the holes :) )

Pictures to follow, technology allowing.
What’s your thoughts on the quality and colour of the frame? Do you know what your expected full build weight is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:35 am
(...)
(I'm SRAM all the way so this is an annoyance. By the way, the pre-race commentators were right -- there are holes all over! The Di2 bottom hole, the downtube hole to be covered by the small plate (also useless for me as a SRAM fan), a hole on the other side of the front derailleur mount, etc. Holey moley!)

(...)
I really think that in 2 years time they will come up with some special version with many of those holes being removed. At least the ones in the downtube. They will call it a cleaner version of the ss4.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:35 am
Without further ado, CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO 4 HI-MOD LAGUNA YELLOW ACTUAL WEIGHTS, size 56.
Any weighing errors mine, but last time I did this my Park Scale weights were close to the LBS weights.

Uncut fork: 431 g
(On the high end. But the Australia bike shop video was right, the forks is elegant.)

Cage: 46 g
Bottle: 66 g
(As you'll see if I can post pictures, very unimpressive plastic. cajer, strongly thinking of seeling to you cheap. Depends on a few htings.)

Thru-axle front: 26 g
Thru-axle rear: 45 g
(Very good!)

Seatpost including two white plastic dowels on the rails I dared not remove: 162 g
Light! It's beautiful too.

Di2 hole plug: 3 g

LOTS of small parts, hopefully I can show. Did not open headset from plastic bag to weigh it.

(My scale is only two decimal places so technically not 840 g, but a good surrogate.)
So probably NOT unreasonable to cite 810g for black matte.
The entire box was ridiculously light. The frame is close to rim brake Cervelo territory, it floats (perhaps due to all the holes :) )

Ok thx. This means you basically better of building from scratch.
- cages by arundel -40gr
- rotor crank instead of dura ace -70gr
- handlebar exs 100-150gr
- wheels ? Easy -200gr with 56mm height
- tubes -130gr

Starting from lab71 frame means in size 54 you can propely hit 6.7-6.8kg without

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:07 pm
BadBoyR wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:08 am
Stendhal wrote:Without further ado, CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO 4 HI-MOD LAGUNA YELLOW ACTUAL WEIGHTS, size 56

What’s your thoughts on the quality and colour of the frame? Do you know what your expected full build weight is?

I love the weight question because a large part of the fun in bike projects for me is estimating weights. Thank you for asking. (As to quality and finish it seemed very good but I quickly re-boxed everything pending the build and did not want to handle the frame and parts too much lest I drop them on my hard garage floor.)

I'm moving almost all the parts from my existing bike. I know what that bike weighs and that is the constant. I either estimate or know what the parts that are different from the new bike (the frame, cockpit, thru axles, fork, bottom bracket, and seatpost) weigh. I know the current parts and as new parts arrive I weigh them (prior to arrival I use published weights). Thus, I can adjust for the differences to estimate to the new bike total weight.

So my current estimate for the Cannondale is 6909 g or about 15.2 lbs. That is without mounts, lights and cages per my protocol, but with pedals. That estimate may increase as I double check the weight of the thru axles on the current bike.

A big reason for the lower weight as compared to, say, the Lab71 weight reported above is that I use light, low rim height wheels even on aero or aero-ish bikes. So far I've not experienced subjective gains from using deeper rims, and shallower rims are less vulnerable to crosswinds. Also, oddly enough, I am not engineering to the fastest bike possible (I'm not that good a rider), more to a mix of acceleration and safety. The wheels are the previous generation Roval Alpinists at 1248 g, probably 250 g lighter than the stock Cannondale wheels. I also discovered TPU tubes, which are tremendous weight saving values and work well.

The main goal of this exercise, other than fun, is NOT to get the lowest weight possible. Actually if a bike is too light it makes me a bit nervous, and I've been as low as 13.88 lbs. It's to hit target weights and decide whether to buy a particular bike at all. The maximum weight on a road bike I want to hit is 16.75 lbs. That's from experience, once you get below that a bike is light enough although not suited for climbs per se. (I'm a heavier rider.) A bike at that weight can be great due to other qualities such as aero.

My current bike, which I love (I am giving it to my son), is now about 16.4 lbs / 7400 g. It's so good that I would not replace it (I have switched to N = 1 for sake of simplicity) without a really good reason. The reason, in addition to giving my son a good road bike, is weight. There had to be a large enough weight savings to matter. In the end the new bike will be about 1 lb lighter and yes I can tell the difference. A weight in the range I think I'll hit is a gain to acceleration on the rolling roads in my areas.

There's one other goal: giving back to weight weenies by reporting weights so that other bike fans can make buying decisions.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:10 pm
Stendhal wrote:
BadBoyR wrote:
Stendhal wrote:Without further ado, CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO 4 HI-MOD LAGUNA YELLOW ACTUAL WEIGHTS, size 56

I love the weight question because a large part of the fun in bike projects for me is estimating weights. Thank you for asking. (As to quality and finish it seemed very good but I quickly re-boxed everything pending the build and did not want to handle the frame and parts too much lest I drop them on my hard garage floor.)

I'm moving almost all the parts from my existing bike. I know what that bike weighs and that is the constant. I either estimate or know what the parts that are different from the new bike (the frame, cockpit, thru axles, fork, bottom bracket, and seatpost) weigh. I know the current parts and as new parts arrive I weigh them (prior to arrival I use published weights). Thus, I can adjust for the differences to estimate to the new bike total weight.

So my current estimate for the Cannondale is 6909 g or about 15.2 lbs. That is without mounts, lights and cages per my protocol, but with pedals. That estimate may increase as I double check the weight of the thru axles on the current bike.

A big reason for the lower weight as compared to, say, the Lab71 weight reported above is that I use light, low rim height wheels even on aero or aero-ish bikes. So far I've not experienced subjective gains from using deeper rims, and shallower rims are less vulnerable to crosswinds. Also, oddly enough, I am not engineering to the fastest bike possible (I'm not that good a rider), more to a mix of acceleration and safety. The wheels are the previous generation Roval Alpinists at 1248 g, probably 250 g lighter than the stock Cannondale wheels. I also discovered TPU tubes, which are tremendous weight saving values and work well.

The main goal of this exercise, other than fun, is NOT to get the lowest weight possible. Actually if a bike is too light it makes me a bit nervous, and I've been as low as 13.88 lbs. It's to hit target weights and decide whether to buy a particular bike at all. The maximum weight on a road bike I want to hit is 16.75 lbs. That's from experience, once you get below that a bike is light enough although not suited for climbs per se. (I'm a heavier rider.) A bike at that weight can be great due to other qualities such as aero.

My current bike, which I love (I am giving it to my son), is now about 16.4 lbs / 7400 g. It's so good that I would not replace it (I have switched to N = 1 for sake of simplicity) without a really good reason. The reason, in addition to giving my son a good road bike, is weight. There had to be a large enough weight savings to matter. In the end the new bike will be about 1 lb lighter and yes I can tell the difference. A weight in the range I think I'll hit is a gain to acceleration on the rolling roads in my areas.

There's one other goal: giving back to weight weenies by reporting weights so that other bike fans can make buying decisions.
But you can get higher wheels with appropriate weight. I will at least swap the hubs on the cannondale saving 135gr and bringing it down to say 1380 or so. If I would take my Dukes 48/56 rims which I ride in strong winds without problems the weight is around 230-250 gr lighter. Reveloops save another 130gr and I use them already for a few years.
The handlebar is also something to save on. I found that the MOMO bar weighs around 410 so and EXS cycling aerover would save there 80-90gr also and I like the compact setup too. Change the crank to rotor including powermeter saves another 70gr to say and at least its a powermeter that works and is accurate contrary to the shimano stuff ...
I got my V3Rs down to 6.7kg without going to Darimo stuff and the likes and with the heave Frozen paint ...
But its cool if you make a final list of componentry that you have from the stock frame and weigh them ... It gives a good idea what to swap immediately for something else :D

pmprego

by pmprego

wickedstealthy wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm
I got my V3Rs down to 6.7kg without going to Darimo stuff and the likes and with the heave Frozen paint ...
But its cool if you make a final list of componentry that you have from the stock frame and weigh them ... It gives a good idea what to swap immediately for something else :D
Ooooh... You the guy with that gorgeous red v3rs! :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Stendhal

by Stendhal

wickedstealthy wrote:
Stendhal wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:10 pm
Stendhal wrote:
BadBoyR wrote:

But you can get higher wheels with appropriate weight. I will at least swap the hubs on the cannondale saving 135gr and bringing it down to say 1380 or so. If I would take my Dukes 48/56 rims which I ride in strong winds without problems the weight is around 230-250 gr lighter. Reveloops save another 130gr and I use them already for a few years.
The handlebar is also something to save on. I found that the MOMO bar weighs around 410 so and EXS cycling aerover would save there 80-90gr also and I like the compact setup too. Change the crank to rotor including powermeter saves another 70gr to say and at least its a powermeter that works and is accurate contrary to the shimano stuff ...
Very good observations! They go to the complex engineering and financial considerations that make projects interesting.

Moving over the Roval wheels from my current bike, which have worked well, preserves a $2500 investment. At the time I bought them, deeper rimmed wheels were either much more expensive or materially heavier. I wish I'd known about the Aerover, for some reason I'd never heard of it, but the Vision Metron I bought is not much heavier at 354 g actual, so yes I've saved from the Momo. The cockpit could be lighter with separate stem and bar, but I like one piece barstems because they impart a better sense of control to me, subjectively.

You're right too thst you can do this exercise from the stock complete bike -- I've done that in the past -- but here I knew I was buying only the frameset and moving the drivetrain, brakes, wheels, and seat from my current bike. Makes it easier to estimate and saves lots of money!
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

pmprego wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:40 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:
Ooooh... You the guy with that gorgeous red v3rs! :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Hahah thx. I switched wheels now too 🤣 And I have two handlebars from exs aerover as I can get the stuff a little lower and makes it even nicer 🤣
The new wheels are definitely stiffer at the same weight. Running now 56/56 black decals 23/29.4 with Pirelli tubes. Nice fit

I'm pretty annoyed by the delivery date of the lab71 or any frame/bike here (ordered one of the first) as this leaves me me another year with my Canyon Endurace 🤣 Bought as an in between bike in 2018 after accident but it has now 35k km 🤣

ilprofessore

by ilprofessore

My kingdom for a zero offset post.

Anywhooo, anyone else think its odd that the front thru axle is 8mm and the rear is 6mm? Is that a carry-over from the Evo3? I haven't been in the cannondale family since the SS himod rim brake models.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

ilprofessore wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:30 pm
My kingdom for a zero offset post.

Anywhooo, anyone else think its odd that the front thru axle is 8mm and the rear is 6mm? Is that a carry-over from the Evo3? I haven't been in the cannondale family since the SS himod rim brake models.
It is odd yes, and new, both were 6mm on the Evo 3... Mismatched and 8mm could be annoying, not all multi tools have 8mm bits, all of mine don't at least, but I don't like to carry big multi tools. It's a perfect excuse to change the rear one to a lighter option though. :mrgreen:

njleach

by njleach

Curious about the geometry on handling of the new SS evo 4, in particular the slacker head angle, longer wheelbase, taller BB height and standover, compared to the gen 2 evo or even the tarmac sl6.

For example, compared to the Tarmac SL6, for a size 54 the evo gen 4 has a 1.8 degree slacker head angle, 37mm longer wheelbase, 13mm higher standover, and 3mm higher BB. All would seem to suggest that the bike wouldn't feel as racey by comparison?

Curious on other people's thoughts on the geo changes, and of course any real-world feedback from riding the gen 4

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ Geo is the same as Gen3.
You can get lots of feedback from those as well.
IMO, 71.2deg HTA +55mm fork offset is brilliant.
58mm trail as usual. But the weight distribution is no longer too 'front heavy'. It synegize very well with modern fitting theory: cleats more toward midfoot, lower offset seatpost, etc. all put you more forward on the bike.

However, people with short torso and use short stem or people that like to sit far behind the bb may find they like a more compact bike more.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can someone share the facts/ info on what "exactly" is the difference with the LAB71?
Personally i think it should be a very detailed spec on what this is about, because if anything, that exclusivity is what they try to sell, so it should be easy access information.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

njleach wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:30 pm
I wonder what weight the Look frameset have and ofcourse the cost.
I think these two are quite close.

looknew.jpg
What Look model is this?
It's likely the forthcoming Blade. I think Cofidis have a few different layups they currently ride.
If we look at Looks Blade frameset cost, to me it seems one of few brands having better prices.
Let's hope this new frameset follow the same line.
I think this might be released late 2023. But i am not sure.
As usual, speculations should be taken with a grain of salt.
Google: cofidis new look bike
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.