Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

S6ED

by S6ED

C36 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:22 pm
BI was Black Inc version of the ssevo1 a lighter and flexier version of the SSevo1.
Sorry, I meant to to ask, what does "BI" mean in "SuperSix Evo2 BI"? (I've edited it now)

A Black Inc version of Gen2? If so, is that for the rim or disc version?

Since "Disc" is not mentioned, I suppose these numbers refer to the rim brake Gen2 Evo Black Inc, which may mean that the Disc Hi-Mod version Gen2 is even stiffer. For better or worse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

So BI is a line that existed since the caad7 usually the top of the line built.
- evo1 Bi is an exception with different frame, lighter and flexier
- evo2 Bi is the same evo2HM frame but was their top of the line built. The one displayed here is rim brake.

I will give you the evo2HM disc numbers once home, on top of my head the HT was brutally stiff like in the 120N/mm range.
Last edited by C36 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayrick

by rayrick

Some awfully nice bikes (Dogma F, MVDP Aeroad) with a fork stiffness in the same neighborhood and the Evo4. If it's good enough for MVDP, it's good enough for me!

C36

by C36

First, thinking the pro use the same layup is erroneous, I saw f12 made by Sarto rather than the Asian factories, Supersix from EF with different BB with full aluminium insert, Lapierre with thicker HT and Sl7 with weird weights.

The aeroad is super stiff from the HT so even if frame and fork behaves as springs in serie, it helps compensating.

For the SSevo4 I am still very curious where the change in philosophy came from…
Last edited by C36 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S6ED

by S6ED

C36 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:54 pm
I will give you the evo2HM disc numbers once home, on top of my head the HY was brutally stiff like in the 120N/mm range.
Thanks

Edit: Just checked the Sarto site. Nice bikes. I must admit, I was not aware of this company.

So you reckon they do make famesets for other brands, as in the case of Pinarello.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

pmprego wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:37 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:08 am
I distinctly remember some brands saying that beyond 65n/mm BB stiffness was detrimental to ride feel and that 55-60 was the ideal range.
I guess people here are complaining mostly about front end (lack of) stiffness. I've heard other places talk about disc rub when out of the saddle also.
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that yet, I have noticed that on my foil and it's noticeably stiffer. I think wheels might have more to do with that?

S6ED

by S6ED

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:53 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:37 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:08 am
I distinctly remember some brands saying that beyond 65n/mm BB stiffness was detrimental to ride feel and that 55-60 was the ideal range.
I guess people here are complaining mostly about front end (lack of) stiffness. I've heard other places talk about disc rub when out of the saddle also.
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that yet, I have noticed that on my foil and it's noticeably stiffer. I think wheels might have more to do with that?
As noted in a post above, I do sometimes get disc rub with my 2017 Evo Hi-Mod Disc when out of the saddle in steep hair pins. But I think it has a lot to do with how well the front caliper functions, i.e. it the pistons retract fully alowwing for break pad clearance. If the pistons are full of brake pad dust and grime and don't fully retract, rub occurs often; if everything is clean and break pad clearance is as it should, then there's hardly any rub. Thickness of rotor and pads (new vs used) also plays a role. All that with Dura-Ace 9100 calipers etc.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

C36 wrote:
- evo2 Bi is the same evo2HM frame but was their top of the line built. The one displayed here is rim brake.

I will give you the evo2HM disc numbers once home, on top of my head the HT was brutally stiff like in the 120N/mm range.
I'm buying Evo2 Bi very soon, stoked that stiffness and especially comfort is super good. Coming off my CAAD10, it's going to feel like riding on silk.

Surprised by the weights though. It's only 30 grams lighter than a SSE4 frame?

S6ED

by S6ED

justkeepedaling wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:00 am
C36 wrote:

I'm buying Evo2 Bi very soon, stoked that stiffness and especially comfort is super good. Coming off my CAAD10, it's going to feel like riding on silk.

Are you buying disc or rim?

Regardless, you'll be able to use the SiSL2 crank (unfortunately not compatible with the SSE4), which is super stiff and at least 120g lighter than the new Dura-Ace crank. And also looks better. :)

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Rode my SSE4 today in a hilly Fondo.

Observations:

-Rough pavement, handled quite well
-Very fast, nice and responsive
-Great in or out of the saddle
-Appreciated the less stiff front end
-Still haven’t gotten completely used to the handling, almost overshot a corner!
-Really does feel like an aero bike in a lightweight bike’s skin
-Overall, I like it better than the SL7 and think it’s a better bike
-I used, and like, the Cannondale aero bottles.

It was oddly the only SSE4 I saw. Plenty of Pinarellos and SL7 S-Works.

99% of the people there were overgeared. People will never learn. A lot were completely gassed by the last timed segment due to grinding out a never-ending supply of short, but steep, pitches. The Cannondale just loved cruising by folks grunting 50-something RPM in its 1:1 ratio at 90rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

S6ED wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:18 am
justkeepedaling wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:00 am
C36 wrote:

Are you buying disc or rim?

Regardless, you'll be able to use the SiSL2 crank (unfortunately not compatible with the SSE4), which is super stiff and at least 120g lighter than the new Dura-Ace crank. And also looks better. :)
It's rim brake, already comes with SISL2 but this one has a Quarq so it doesn't have the Spidering, too bad. Praxis rings ain't bad at all though

I picked up a Gen 1 Himod last week for pennies, it's amazing, but needs some minor fixing up.

SSE4 will probably be in my cards in a few years, lol

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

StevieB wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:13 pm

The Conceal has a recess on the bottom of the extension, as well as a cable guide, so the brake lines appear to be fully internal when in reality they're not. See pic from an earlier thread
You can run the cables INSIDE the stem, no problem.
The pic that you have quoted is just a lazy way of assembly out of the factory. Just reroute it through the stem. :thumbup:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

alanyu

by alanyu

I'm wondering if anyone here has recieved a LAB 71. All I see in the real world is HM and Carbon...

njleach

by njleach

alanyu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am
I'm wondering if anyone here has recieved a LAB 71. All I see in the real world is HM and Carbon...
Ordered the frameset shortly after the announcement and ETA is ~September 2023 (to Australia)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

njleach wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 am
alanyu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am
Ordered the frameset shortly after the announcement and ETA is ~September 2023 (to Australia)
My ETA was mid April, but the order was cut due to the low production and the shop can't assure on new ETA now. If it will be at least Sept., I will cancel it for SL8...