Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

charirider

by charirider

Lina wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:52 pm
charirider wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:40 pm
Lol, nothing changed, and actually became worse that 1/2gen. I'll pass this gen also. Or come to Specialized.
The 4th generation is a massive improvement over the 3rd generation. And as a race bike they both blow 1/2 gen out of the park.
Better than 3rd gen, maybe yes... but 1/2 which are modern classic race bikes? Hmm...

- Triangle fork steerer is a gimmick
- Same creaking issues with seatpost reported
- Brake caliper mounts are not in plain issues reported
- Heck, even no rim brake option

I don't feel my SS Evo 2 is slow uphill, neither do British hillclimb champion:)
And I DO like pf30 with SiSl crankset. Lighter than almost anything, stiff, and I experienced no creaking whatsoever with Wacos Brake Protector grease.

Now educate me how 4th gen is more superior to 2gen. Maybe aerodynamically, and that's it.
Handling, stiffness? I don't think so.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO gen2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe 105 size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

charirider wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:56 pm
Lina wrote:
charirider wrote:
Lol, nothing changed, and actually became worse that 1/2gen. I'll pass this gen also. Or come to Specialized.
The 4th generation is a massive improvement over the 3rd generation. And as a race bike they both blow 1/2 gen out of the park.
Better than 3rd gen, maybe yes... but 1/2 which are modern classic race bikes? Hmm...

I don't feel my SS Evo 2 is slow uphill, neither do British hillclimb champion:)
And I DO like pf30 with SiSl crankset. Lighter than almost anything, stiff, and I experienced no creaking whatsoever with Wacos Brake Protector grease.

Now educate me how 4th gen is more superior to 2gen. Maybe aerodynamically, and that's it.
BSA, disc brake, and tire clearance. Yes please. I’ll take that any day. I don’t think it’s even a contest. Gen 4 is also one of the best looking bikes out there IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

charirider wrote:
Lina wrote:
charirider wrote:

Yes aerodynamically it's superior. Which makes it a superior racing bike. It also has better tire clearance which makes it a superior racing bike. Can you fit 30 - 32 mm WAM tires on your gen 2? Because that's the fastest option right now. Also BSA, seatpost has been fixed, almost all disc brake bikes require facing, the triangle fork might be a gimmick but it's still one of the better integration solutions out there and has no real life issues.

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

charirider wrote:

Andrew Feather rides the new SuperSix Evo.

gurk700

by gurk700

I loved my gen 2 and i love gen 4 but can we drop the whole "this athlete uses this" arguments?
I can totally see world tour pros using latest and greatest but do you REALLY think feather would choose gen 4 over gen 2 if he had a choice? he rides what he's given. on a hill climb where only weight matters, you can't argue gen2 won't always end up lighter in the end. that's just ignorance.

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

gurk700 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:14 pm
I loved my gen 2 and i love gen 4 but can we drop the whole "this athlete uses this" arguments?
I can totally see world tour pros using latest and greatest but do you REALLY think feather would choose gen 4 over gen 2 if he had a choice? he rides what he's given. on a hill climb where only weight matters, you can't argue gen2 won't always end up lighter in the end. that's just ignorance.
I'm not arguing about anything. The poster said Feather rides said bike, which is not true. He rides the lastest bike, which is fact. All that other stuff is speculation, I made no arguments about bike performance. Also, Feather is grown man, he's not being forced to do anything. He entered into a partnership with Cannondale. He made a conscienous choice to be in the partnerhip. No one forced him to do anything, which is fact.

gurk700

by gurk700

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:54 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:14 pm
I'm not arguing about anything. The poster said Feather rides said bike, which is not true. He rides the lastest bike, which is fact. All that other stuff is speculation, I made no arguments about bike performance. Also, Feather is grown man, he's not being forced to do anything. He entered into a partnership with Cannondale. He made a conscienous choice to be in the partnerhip. No one forced him to do anything, which is fact.
Yes. He chose to make more money.
Fact that he chose Cannondale has absolutely 0 to do with the argument here. It's not like he can choose a better suited bike (lighter, older model) if he went to any other manufacturer.
So don't confuse choosing a paycheck over choosing performance.

Anyway this is such widely known cookie cutter basic crap that I'm not gonna argue about it. Believe what you like lol

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

johnpuga1982 wrote:
charirider wrote:

A follow up interview with the older bike. Towards the end he compares his impressions with the new Lab71. It’s a good watch.

https://youtu.be/EQ_8WOs21R4?si=9JhVc9O6uQHeQo6c

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

chuingbeans wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:07 am
johnpuga1982 wrote:
charirider wrote:

A follow up interview with the older bike. Towards the end he compares his impressions with the new Lab71. It’s a good watch.

https://youtu.be/EQ_8WOs21R4?si=9JhVc9O6uQHeQo6c
600g savings for a less stiff bike that he says feels like it's going to break. So for a very specific type of racing (hill climb) it might be the faster bike. For every other type of racing, the gen 4 will be faster. And I remember reading that this past year's hill climb champs had enough "flat" sections that aerodynamics could actually be important and make a difference. Possibly negating some of those gram savings. Yea I'm sorry I just don't see how anybody could say the gen 2 is the better race bike.

charirider

by charirider

Lina wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:18 pm
charirider wrote:
Lina wrote:
charirider wrote:

Yes aerodynamically it's superior. Which makes it a superior racing bike. It also has better tire clearance which makes it a superior racing bike. Can you fit 30 - 32 mm WAM tires on your gen 2? Because that's the fastest option right now. Also BSA, seatpost has been fixed, almost all disc brake bikes require facing, the triangle fork might be a gimmick but it's still one of the better integration solutions out there and has no real life issues.
BSA is a heavy BB that can creak as well and usually lasts only for 1 season (at least shimano stuff). I can press PF30 in not slower than threaded BBs.
Regarding the tires, I can easily fit 30mm tires on my 56 size gen2. Rode Panaracer GK SS 28mm that on 21mm int Reynolds measured 30mm, no rub whatsoever.

Only advantage of 3/4 gen is AERO, it is very good actually, but for me all downsides make in a no-go.
I am not racing at all, so it is just a point of view from a normal rider.
Last edited by charirider on Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

charirider wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:50 am
Lina wrote:
charirider wrote:
Lina wrote:

BSA is a heavy BB that can creak as well and usually lasts only for 1 season (at least shimano stuff). I can press PF30 in so slower that threaded BBs.
Regarding the tires, I can easily fit 30mm tires on my 56 size gen2. Rode Panaracer GK SS 28mm that on 21mm int Reynolds measured 30mm, no rub whatsoever.

Only advantage of 3/4 gen is AERO, it is ery good actually, but for me all downsides make in a no-go.
It all comes down to preference I guess. I'm not racing mine either so everything I mentioned is an advantage for a normal rider. BSA is stupid simple to install and replace. And I've only had a creaking BB with pressfit, never with BSA. Though to be fair, I've only had a creaking BB once over my entire riding. I just prefer BSA for ease of maintenance and not having to hammer out a pressfit BB. Disc brakes I vastly prefer but I won't get into a debate about rim vs disc. And tire width is probably the biggest thing. 28s or 30s just don't cut it. Especially as a non-racer, I don't see the point of limiting myself to small tires. 32s (measured at ~34mm on my 24int rims) ride like a cloud. My race bike runs 30s. But for my everyday bike I'm going as big as I can. And they're just as fast. I'll probably try some 35s next.

charirider

by charirider

BikeTyson wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:58 am
charirider wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:50 am
Lina wrote:
charirider wrote:

BSA is a heavy BB that can creak as well and usually lasts only for 1 season (at least shimano stuff). I can press PF30 in so slower that threaded BBs.

Only advantage of 3/4 gen is AERO, it is ery good actually, but for me all downsides make in a no-go.
It all comes down to preference I guess. I'm not racing mine either so everything I mentioned is an advantage for a normal rider. BSA is stupid simple to install and replace. And I've only had a creaking BB with pressfit, never with BSA. Though to be fair, I've only had a creaking BB once over my entire riding. I just prefer BSA for ease of maintenance and not having to hammer out a pressfit BB. Disc brakes I vastly prefer but I won't get into a debate about rim vs disc. And tire width is probably the biggest thing. 28s or 30s just don't cut it. Especially as a non-racer, I don't see the point of limiting myself to small tires. 32s (measured at ~34mm on my 24int rims) ride like a cloud. My race bike runs 30s. But for my everyday bike I'm going as big as I can. And they're just as fast. I'll probably try some 35s next.
I see your points of preference.
For you 4th gen will be an easy choice. At least if doesn't have stipud limiters inside the fork that destroys your frame like 3rd gen...

For me living in Japan = almost inavitable climbing in the mountains, 2nd gen is a bless.
Hope to get mine to 6.5 with small extra bits of carbon here and there.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Took the SSE out for a fourth ride today. Brought my Silca pocket torque wrench with the intention of stopping a couple of times to check that the seat post binder was at 8nm. Of course, I left the 4mm insert at home. I did tighten it a couple of times. Seems to be holding better than the first ride. However, toward the end of 50 bumpy and hilly miles it was starting to creak ever so slightly.

Hopefully it will continue to “set” and I can stop worrying about it.

Other observations: the bike fits me like a glove. It’s a very good climbing bike. Interestingly, even though it’s better than the vast majority of bikes at climbing, I think the bike’s strengths are actually on the flats and downhills. Just a confident, rapid bike.

I like the Momo bar and don’t find it too flexy.

Stock Cannondale bar tape is trash.

Other than the seat post, it’s a pretty much a perfect race bike for me.

I put some Enve 4.5s on there with the Innerdrive hub. I forgot how fantastic those wheels are. They are super fast, comfortable, and very good in the cross winds. But, my lord, the new free hub is like a buzzsaw. Jesus.

Shimano R8150 is generally excellent. The front shifting is insane and I don’t feel like I have to really hesitate for the gears to shift in the front to avoid a drop. I don’t notice much difference between shifts in the back between SRAM and Shimano. Shimano may be a little smoother, but not noticeably faster.

Conclusions: feels like a climbing bike on climbs, descends spectacularly, and rides on the flats like an all-out aero bike.

Re: the seat post, has anyone tried Loctite on the bolt to prevent it from loosening during the ride? I’d say mine loosened much less today, but was still sitting around 6.5-7nm at the end of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charirider

by charirider

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:44 am
Took the SSE out for a fourth ride today. Brought my Silca pocket torque wrench with the intention of stopping a couple of times to check that the seat post binder was at 8nm. Of course, I left the 4mm insert at home. I did tighten it a couple of times. Seems to be holding better than the first ride. However, toward the end of 50 bumpy and hilly miles it was starting to creak ever so slightly.

Hopefully it will continue to “set” and I can stop worrying about it.

Other observations: the bike fits me like a glove. It’s a very good climbing bike. Interestingly, even though it’s better than the vast majority of bikes at climbing, I think the bike’s strengths are actually on the flats and downhills. Just a confident, rapid bike.

I like the Momo bar and don’t find it too flexy.

Other than the seat post, it’s a pretty much a perfect race bike for me.

I put some Enve 4.5s on there with the Innerdrive hub. I forgot how fantastic those wheels are. They are super fast, comfortable, and very good in the cross winds. But, my lord, the new free hub is like a buzzsaw. Jesus.

Shimano R8150 is generally excellent. The front shifting is insane and I don’t feel like I have to really hesitate for the gears to shift in the front to avoid a drop. I don’t notice much difference between shifts in the back between SRAM and Shimano. Shimano may be a little smoother, but not noticeably faster.

Conclusions: feels like a climbing bike on climbs, descends spectacularly, and rides on the flats like an all-out aero bike.

Re: the seat post, has anyone tried Loctite on the bolt to prevent it from loosening during the ride? I’d say mine loosened much less today, but was still sitting around 6.5-7nm at the end of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do this:
IMG_9952.jpeg
Carbon gel - only generous amount of Finish Line one worked on my friend's gen3 ss evo (clamping system is basically the same between 3gen and 4gen).
Also, regarding clamp frame side: grease the heck of it, I mean, drip it in mid viscosity grease like SRAM butter (it worked).
Strong Loctite to threads, then tighten it to specified torque (6nm was enough for gen3 mentioned above).
And don't touch it for a couple of days, better 1 week to let loctite solidify and do its job.
Then, seatpost shouldn't be giving you any troubles.
My friend is 65kg, for the record. Frame size was 54 and hollowgram seatpost 350mm uncut.
Hope it helps.
Last edited by charirider on Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Took the SSE out for a fourth ride today.

NICE BIKE!!! Love the red, blue, and black coloway!

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

In the few races/events I've done with the bike, I find that the bike excels in downhill descents.

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

In the past few weeks I've applied sunscreen before riding. It seems like the leftover residue on my hands eats away at the Cannondale bar tape quickly.

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

Nice wheel choice! I have the Foundation 45 & 65 wheelsets. However, I've been eyeing the SES 4.5s. After reading your post I checked a few websites and found a set for 20% off during a Father's Day sale. You just saved me a good chunk of change.

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

I agree!

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

Recently, I had a similar issue with the Momo bar bolts coming lose. I only checked them because another person in this thread mention they were having the issue. I torqued the bolts back to spec, did a few rides, and they slightly came lose after each ride. However, after letting the bike sit for about a week, the Momo bolts have remained torqued to the correct values.