Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:46 pm
So, I have previously owned an SSE 4 and had awful issues with the seatpost.

Ended up getting one yesterday. Unfortunately, being somewhat experienced with the seatpost, I took it out cleaned it up, applied a liberal amount of carbon paste to it. Next I took out the seatpost clamping mechanism, made sure it was purple (it was), applied a liberal amount of thick grease to the front face, and carbon paste to the back. Reinserted the post to the proper height and torqued it to exactly 8nm.

Fast forward to my first ride today, I was reminded of why I love this bike and why it’s perfect for me. It’s super fast, comfortable, and is a great climber. It’s an amazing bike.

And then the seatpost started to creak and crack a little bit. Ugh!

I made sure it was the seatpost and not something else and then pulled over. Taking my multitool, I could feel that the bolt was no longer at 8nm. I retightened it by hand to my best guess at 8nm. No more creak!

By the end of the ride, the creak was starting to come back a bit.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nothing. I bet it'll be fine once it settles. I've had many bikes with brand new parts that lost torque and came lose in my first ride.
If for some reason anything is lose, start creaking again, my Cdale dealer that I bought the Lab71 asked cannondale and came back and said it's ok to tighten .5nm more than recommended for both the saddle side (rails) and the seatpost.
When I first had creaks it was my saddle rails. Tightened 0.5 nm more like recommended and it has gone away.
Since then I've never tightened more than recommended values with still the same saddle and post and nothing's creaking or slipping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

Ended up getting one yesterday. Unfortunately, being somewhat experienced with the seatpost, I took it out cleaned it up, applied a liberal amount of carbon paste to it. Next I took out the seatpost clamping mechanism, made sure it was purple (it was), applied a liberal amount of thick grease to the front face, and carbon paste to the back. Reinserted the post to the proper height and torqued it to exactly 8nm.

Fast forward to my first ride today, I was reminded of why I love this bike and why it’s perfect for me. It’s super fast, comfortable, and is a great climber. It’s an amazing bike.

I made sure it was the seatpost and not something else and then pulled over. Taking my multitool, I could feel that the bolt was no longer at 8nm. I retightened it by hand to my best guess at 8nm. No more creak!

I had some problem in the past and then found out my torque wrench was undertorqueing by 2Nm. With my new digital torque wrench it holds well. When I mount the seatpost I torque to 8Nm. Then I jump on the saddle at home and move forward and back, I also try to move it heavily with my hand. Then torque again to 8Nm, it always settles a bit. Then I go out around the corner over some holes etc. Then torque again to 8Nm. It is usually enough and it holds. I would try to borrow different torque wrench to be sure yours is OK. After couple of years of service it might be off.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

Has anyone else experienced speed wobble / shimmy on their SuperSix Evo4? I'm trying to isolate the cause. Is it the fork (which Tour Magazaine tested as being flexy), frame, or another part? I've already tried two sets of wheels, balancing the wheels, etc. Thanks for sharing any experience you have of this.

charirider

by charirider

Does 4 gen have fork rotation limiters inside head tube?
How is seatpost clamp? Still creaking and not holding seatpost firmly?
After gen2 ss evo became a nightmare, I am thinking about switching to Specialized Aethos, which was designed by same dude who designed ss evo gen2, Peter Denk. As I am climbing most if my rides, I don't need either full integration for aero, or gimmick seatpoat clamp/propeitary fork...
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

BobbyB

by BobbyB

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:23 am
Has anyone else experienced speed wobble / shimmy on their SuperSix Evo4? I'm trying to isolate the cause. Is it the fork (which Tour Magazaine tested as being flexy), frame, or another part? I've already tried two sets of wheels, balancing the wheels, etc. Thanks for sharing any experience you have of this.

No speed wobble etc here with a max speed so far of just over 50mph (in blustery wind too). I've got the Evo 3 with stock heavy DT Swiss aluminium wheels for reference.

hannawald

by hannawald

No rotation limiter, no seatpost problems (with the latest clamp greased how it should be).
If you want a pure climbing bike I believe there are better bikes than Supersix which excels in aero and is an allrounder. Not sure it is Aethos as well. SL8 might be the same weight as Aethos but stiffer and as a bonus you get aero for flat parts.

StephanDoubleU

by StephanDoubleU

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

Maybe Loctice will help.

longtimelurker

by longtimelurker

Longtimelurker here.
I'm riding a SS Evo 4 for elite amateur level races in germany. Have this bike since february, recently I felt like my backend became more loose, including the seatpost flexing a lot sideways, my seatstays shifting from side to side quite a lot under seated power, under high speed downhills the backend flutters, the fork flex has been there since the start, flex literally shifting my body weight to the font when braking hard into corners.
I'm not a sprinter (max. Watt of around 1300) so definitely not too much stress on the frame, no crashes ofc since I first rode the bike.

Ofcourse everything is tightened to the specs, with some parts slightly overtightened a bit, not running any abnormal specs on the bike (Scope R4 wheels true and tensioned, 2cm Spacer, regualar 10cm Conceal Stem, alloy vision handlebar). Saddle is positioned within the limit of the rails.

Not sure if this bike is supposed to be so wobbly and noodleish. Pros riding it too afterall, and by a quote from the cannondale rep of my local bikestore, the highmods are even more flexy, because of less carbon layers (My opinion, he had no clue and just tried to calm me)

Been dissapointed by the flex as I was expecting a stiff rocket for races. The bike is beautiful though and it would be a shame to sell, I'm writing to get some feedback on my highlighted issues.
Last edited by longtimelurker on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

I think that the pros riding this bike have modified it. The pro bikes resold (so we have pictures) have had solid metal inserts bonded into the fork steerer instead of the expansion plug we amateurs get. I understand that as an attempt to improve the handling by stiffening the fork.

Cannondale, and my local Cannondale dealers, told me that the stiffness of the Hi-Mod and Lab71 are designed to be the same, with only the weight changing due to more-expensive carbon layup.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I've seen others refer to it as a noodle here as well, so you're not alone. What do you weigh?
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

ridenfish39

by ridenfish39

73 kg here. I don't have any flex issues with mine, and I put out decent power. Make sure the thru axles are tight. Peak Torque tested this and it in one of his videos.

TiCass

by TiCass

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:17 am
I think that the pros riding this bike have modified it. The pro bikes resold (so we have pictures) have had solid metal inserts bonded into the fork steerer instead of the expansion plug we amateurs get. I understand that as an attempt to improve the handling by stiffening the fork.

Cannondale, and my local Cannondale dealers, told me that the stiffness of the Hi-Mod and Lab71 are designed to be the same, with only the weight changing due to more-expensive carbon layup.
I think the metal insert is simply because of their original Vision handlebar. With the metal insert, you can compress the whole thing with the normal bolt used by Vision handlebar instead of the custom Cannondale one... only compatible with Cannondale handlebar.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

It was only speculation about the pros. I certainly don't know, and would like to. Does anybody know if the pro-insert was truly the full length of the steerer or a short section where the stem clamps? That would clarify the purpose.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

My experience is similar to that of longtimelurker. Wrote about that a few pages back and the thought of selling the frameset is growing in my head.
I can live with the flex under pedal power, but i think i can't get used to the squishy feeling front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

longtimelurker

by longtimelurker

cleanneon98 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:32 am
I've seen others refer to it as a noodle here as well, so you're not alone. What do you weigh?
69-71kg so not on the heavy side, being 1.77m in size.

Through axles are tightened to the correct amount. I have no idea where that flexy backend is coming from. Comparing the bike to the Merida Reactos and Sculturas of my teammates, those are stiff as it can get.

Thanks for your input eins4eins.