Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lina wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:39 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:23 am
Anybody here racing their SuperSix? I want a new race bike. My short list is down to the SuperSix, Tarmac SL7, and Tarmac SL8. Mainly because I can get a decent Specialized or Cannondale discount from my local shop that carries both brands. I vaguely remember seeing the Tour tested the SuperSix as not very stiff. Obviously world tour guys are using it so I'm sure it's fine. Just curious how people are finding it. The SS and SL7 I can get the 105 mech build for around $3000, and I'd strip it and build up with Di2. I just want the paint job. The SL8 would be more expensive in the color I want (Rival AXS), and I use Shimano so I'd have to build it from the frame. Could probably sell the groupset and wheels. I'm not a fan of the SL8 looks, but it might be more aero than the SL7. The SS tested the most aero of the three. The other thing is that I have an ENVE stem and bar, and they make a top cap for the Tarmacs. I'm not sure how I'd use the Enve stem with the SS. Anybody try fitting the In Route stem?

Edit: Oh, and I know it's a stupid reason, but one other reason I like the SS is that everybody and their mom has a Tarmac and I kind of wanted something different.
I've done what you plan on doing and went with the SuperSix, mostly because I got a deal on the 105 mech build at $2500. If it isn't as stiff as some other bikes I can't tell. It doesn't feel like a noodle and behaves very well even when the group is pushing 70 km/h.
Man if I could get that price I'd order it right now. I missed out on a 15% off deal (for the SS)a couple months back and now I'm kicking myself. The shop can give me 20% off the SL7 because it's the older model. The SS would only be 10%.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I race my supersix but there are more racy bikes out there. It doesn't feel really fast, as its not the most stiff, responsive or nimble bike.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

eins4eins wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:05 pm
I race my supersix but there are more racy bikes out there. It doesn't feel really fast, as its not the most stiff, responsive or nimble bike.
I also race my bike. Supersix normal (Not Lab or Himod) And I have the opposite experience.
Aero. Stiff. Good in a sprint. Good in 'n break of 50km plus.

For reference:
5 top 20 results the past year with 1 podium win in my age cat/race batch.
Race win was done over 105km, time 2:41 39km/h agv.
Another 4th place was done ove 90km in 2:23 38km/h avg.
13th position at the last race over 116km in 2:52 with 40km/h avg.
Good enough vir 'n non-pro, mediocre, wannabe old Vet racer doing 300km per week training.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

eins4eins

by eins4eins

You can get good results on any bike, doesn't tell much in my opinion. I had some very good results with the supersix as well, yet a bike like the systemsix i also have, feels much more like a racing machine.
Doesn't mean the supersix isn't a great bike.

Lina

by Lina

eins4eins wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:05 pm
A super stiff bike, while feeling fast because of all the bumpiness isn't as fast over a long race. The stiffness takes a toll on your body over time. If we went by what feels fast we'd be riding 20 mm tires pumped to 10 bars. It sure feels fast with all the vibrations. But it isn't as fast as something smoother. In general smooth = fast when it comes to bikes.

The one caveat to SuperSix is that the geometry is on the taller side. So people with short legs will have problems with getting aero on it. I have disproportionately long legs and even I'm slammed with a long -17 degree stem.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Has anybody been told to size down the SuperSix? I emailed a shop about what they had in stock and the manager asked my height and inseam, and said that most people size down this frame because it runs bigger than other brands. I’ve never heard this before. I know the stack is slightly higher but the reach is shorter than most other brands. Curious if anybody else has heard this advice. I was planning on just getting the same size as my Tarmac with maybe a longer stem.

prenard

by prenard

BikeTyson wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 pm
Has anybody been told to size down the SuperSix? I emailed a shop about what they had in stock and the manager asked my height and inseam, and said that most people size down this frame because it runs bigger than other brands. I’ve never heard this before. I know the stack is slightly higher but the reach is shorter than most other brands. Curious if anybody else has heard this advice. I was planning on just getting the same size as my Tarmac with maybe a longer stem.
I sized down from 60 to 58 when I upgraded from gen2 to gen3/gen4 - new Supersix geometry of Supersix starting with gen3 is diffrenet from older generations 1/2

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

BikeTyson wrote:
I'm a size 54 and I purchased a size 54. However, I did ride a 51. Although I could ride a 51, I don't like the feel of the high seatpost/saddle position.

hannawald

by hannawald

183cm and 56. I ride 56 in other bikes as well but some sizing charts put me on 58, for example Trek. Well, I could never ride 58, too long (and ugly:). I don´t see Supersix geometry any bigger than others, maybe 1cm more stack than some, but that´s good for me:) Reach is similar. It also doesn´t have much sloping in the top tube so many bikes in size 56 have abound 52cm seat tube length and Supersix is something like 534mm if I recall correctly. But that´s just how it is shaped, doesn´t affect anything at my 76,7cm saddle height. They say less sloping is better for aero. I looked at what pros from EF Education ride and it doesn´t look they downsize. Pretty much standard sizes for their height.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I did the topcap-modification mentioned earlier in the thread for my own vision metron 5d evo today

Used dremel to expand the hole in the topcap to fit the internal-threaded cannondale compression bolt
Chamfered it to make it sit flush

I had to cut the fork to compensate for different stack height between vision and original conceal stem, so with proper steerer tube length the bolt barely reaches through to grab threads on expander-bolt.

I had to lift the "lip" of my expander by 1 or 2 mm above steerer tube to engage enough threads

Looks pretty original to me :D
Attachments
441426847_338084622637386_113247776161567147_n.jpg
438158396_454137724036626_1401570173092205928_n.jpg
441430398_971646261255963_7608177452283148652_n.jpg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Finally pulled the trigger on a SuperSix. I was waffling between the SuperSix and a Tarmac SL7. Found a deal on a Hi-Mod build for 20% off and figured it was a sign (at least that's what I'll tell my wife). The original plan was to get a 4 spec (mech 105) and strip it down to the frame and rebuild with my parts (Ultegra 12sp Di2) and my wheels. But with this build the group is good to go. I don't know too much about the included wheels but they retail for $2500 USD. Probably could get a decent price on the secondhand market. My question now comes down to the cockpit. I have an ENVE in route stem and Aero handlebar that I was going to put on a different race bike. The handlebars I can use for sure, but I haven't seen anybody try the Enve in route stem with the SS. I don't believe anybody makes a spacer that would fit the Enve stem. The other option is just use the Conceal stem (in a longer length).

Also, anybody have a link for the Hylix 0 setback seatpost? And a Garmin Varia mount?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

BikeTyson wrote:
Yes I ride SystemSix Size 51 but Supersix size 48.
Supersix size 51's​ stack is simply taller than I'd like so I downsize to keep my handlebar low. That's all.
Unless you regularly slam the stem on most of your prior bikes, this is not a concern.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:37 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Yes I ride SystemSix Size 51 but Supersix size 48.
Supersix size 51's​ stack is simply taller than I'd like so I downsize to keep my handlebar low. That's all.
Unless you regularly slam the stem on most of your prior bikes, this is not a concern.
I don't. Which is why I'm looking forward to the higher stack because I can just about slam my stem now. Sizing down would put me at 16mm lower stack, 13mm shorter reach, 15mm shorter top tube, 12mm shorter wheelbase coming from a 12mm shorter front center. I'm not sure why he said to size down. Getting a 58 like I usually ride puts me way closer to what I have now but I can take out a spacer. Need a longer stem but all the other geo is like within 1mm.

vanerven

by vanerven

BikeTyson wrote:
I also sized down from 60 (supersix evo 2) to 58 evo4. I fell in between 61 and 58.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

vanerven wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:56 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
I also sized down from 60 (supersix evo 2) to 58 evo4. I fell in between 61 and 58.
Interesting. I've never ridden a SuperSix so I was just surprised that I was told this coming from a 58 Specialized Tarmac. The 56 SS Evo looks way too small for me and the 58 looks spot on. So it was odd to me and I never even considered sizing down.