Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

Spinnekop wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:49 pm
nooski wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:27 pm
Not a special hub but different lacing. There was also previous Topstne Carbon (Gravel bike) and right now SS Evo CX/SE that requires Ai lacing of the rear wheel.
Jip.

On the CX and MTB they have AI spacing.
It boils down to the wheel needs to be dished 6mm more to one side.

I took stock standard Campy Eurus wheels (and many have done this with Zipp 303 and 404) and just dish the wheel 6mm more to the one side.
This, the topstone had the same Ai spacing. I think they've now ditched it on the latest model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

LedZeppelin007 wrote:Rode my SSE4 today in a hilly Fondo.

Observations:

-Rough pavement, handled quite well
-Very fast, nice and responsive
-Great in or out of the saddle
-Appreciated the less stiff front end
-Still haven’t gotten completely used to the handling, almost overshot a corner!
-Really does feel like an aero bike in a lightweight bike’s skin
-Overall, I like it better than the SL7 and think it’s a better bike
-I used, and like, the Cannondale aero bottles.

It was oddly the only SSE4 I saw. Plenty of Pinarellos and SL7 S-Works.

99% of the people there were overgeared. People will never learn. A lot were completely gassed by the last timed segment due to grinding out a never-ending supply of short, but steep, pitches. The Cannondale just loved cruising by folks grunting 50-something RPM in its 1:1 ratio at 90rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Was it highlands by any chance?

rayrick

by rayrick

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:00 am

99% of the people there were overgeared. People will never learn. A lot were completely gassed by the last timed segment due to grinding out a never-ending supply of short, but steep, pitches. The Cannondale just loved cruising by folks grunting 50-something RPM in its 1:1 ratio at 90rpm.

What gearing did you put on yours? Trying to decide on chainrings right now, since I may be swapping in the Quarq powermeter versions on mine and might have an opportunity to change from the stock 48/35 Red config to a 46/33. This is with a 10-28 cassette in back.

StevieB

by StevieB

S6ED wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:35 pm
The attached pic shows the spacers inside a Deda EL stem. The EL is a pretty beefy stem (used for its hard to find 115mm length), and you can see the spacers stop inside the extension, well above the bottom of the stem clamp; don't have a pic handy, but it shows even more in the Uno 3D. If you had a bar with a center port for the brake lines, you could grind off a bit more spacer and run fully internal lines with most any stem, but at a cost of stem/steerer interface and stiffness at the bars. Jonas Rusch's EF Pro bike is set up that way, so it's doable. As for me, with the lines external from bar to headset cap I'd be happier with spacers that didnt have the cutaway. I'd also like to see better sealing of the holes where the brake lines enter the cap. I filled mine with silicone seal around the brake lines, otherwise you have a direct path for water/junk to go straight to the bearings.
[/quote]

How long are these spacers/fillers? Shorter than 40mm, which is the typical height of the clamp area of a stem?

Or do they sit higher because you've left a bit of the steerer tube uncut above the stem?

You mean girinding off a bit of these spacers/fillers here?
[/quote]

The spacer/fillers are 40mm tall at the very rear "feet", but for most of their width they're about 33mm tall since they're cut away at the bottom to make room for the brake lines. I'll have to re-measure next time I have 'em out to get the actual dimensions. The "feet" sit on top of the transitional spacer that you have to use just below any stem; it's round externally but the inner hole is triangular to match the fork steerer . If you don't use it, the spacer/fillers will just fall down below the stem and be useless. What happens is that the stem, any stem, doesnt contact the steerer on the sides where it's triangular for the bottom 7mm or so, only at the front and rear. With a beefy stem it's not noticeable, but with a light one you can tell the difference. And yes, that is where I meant grinding them off. Other stems with thinner walls will leave more internal space, so the amount would be stem-specific.
Last edited by StevieB on Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieB

by StevieB

Spinnekop wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:19 am
StevieB wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:13 pm

The Conceal has a recess on the bottom of the extension, as well as a cable guide, so the brake lines appear to be fully internal when in reality they're not. See pic from an earlier thread
You can run the cables INSIDE the stem, no problem.
The pic that you have quoted is just a lazy way of assembly out of the factory. Just reroute it through the stem. :thumbup:
Does the Conceal not run the lines under there even if using the center port for bars that have one? My Easton's don't, so that's the only option I have anyway. I actually prefer the semi-hidden approach as it makes stem removal simpler.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

StevieB wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm
Spinnekop wrote:
StevieB wrote:

The Conceal has a recess on the bottom of the extension, as well as a cable guide, so the brake lines appear to be fully internal when in reality they're not. See pic from an earlier thread
The pic that you have quoted is just a lazy way of assembly out of the factory. Just reroute it through the stem. :thumbup:
Does the Conceal not run the lines under there even if using the center port for bars that have one? My Easton's don't, so that's the only option I have anyway. I actually prefer the semi-hidden approach as it makes stem removal simpler.
Well.........you have two options.
IMG_3998.jpeg
Easy stem removal. Less hassle at installation. For me.......I am not switching stems that much. Maybe once. So for now I don't mind running the stem and cables like this:

IMG_3998.jpeg
Attachments
Cannondale-SuperSix-EVO-Gen4-025.jpg
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Verbal

by Verbal

What about the factory setup mount ?

StevieB

by StevieB

Spinnekop wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 am
StevieB wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:18 pm
Spinnekop wrote:
StevieB wrote:

Well.........you have two options.
IMG_3998.jpeg
Easy stem removal. Less hassle at installation. For me.......I am not switching stems that much. Maybe once. So for now I don't mind running the stem and cables like this:

IMG_3998.jpeg
Thanks! :thumbup:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Anyone in CANADA looking to get their hands on these?

SS Evo1 looks enticing, but as usual all stores show OOS on the website. Wondering if someone has enquired and what their word was on the supply side

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

rayrick wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Rode my SSE4 today in a hilly Fondo.

Observations:

-Still haven’t gotten completely used to the handling, almost overshot a corner!

Thanks for the review! So, you've actually spent meaningful time on an SL7 and prefer the SSE4? Very nice to hear. My anticipation is building - pretty sure mine is landing in my LBS this week!
Yes I have and yes I do. It did take Cannondale three years to better the SL7, though. Wonder how awesome the SL8 will be…

But, seriously, it was a pleasure to ride. Gotta get used to how hard I can push it on the downhills. The bike is more capable than my skills.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Aryeh wrote:

Observations:

Yessir! That third segment should’ve been classified as gravel adjacent.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:

Observations:

I was riding next to people with 53/39 and 11-28T they just love grinding.
I didn't have 1:1 but 35-33 was good enough for me.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

rayrick wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

What gearing did you put on yours? Trying to decide on chainrings right now, since I may be swapping in the Quarq powermeter versions on mine and might have an opportunity to change from the stock 48/35 Red config to a 46/33. This is with a 10-28 cassette in back.
I weigh approximately 80ish kg right now at 6’3” (still have some pounds to shed). Running 50/34t, 11-34t. Works great for 99% of things. By the time I overrun 50/11t, I don’t really want to pedal anymore anyway (45+ mph). If I did crits, I’d run a 52/36, I think. Saw a ton of people at the fondo running 50/37, 10-26t, and 53/39, 11-25-28t. Enjoy that on a 14% grade after 80 miles.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Aryeh wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:

Observations:

I was riding next to people with 53/39 and 11-28T they just love grinding.
I didn't have 1:1 but 35-33 was good enough for me.
I really love SRAM gearing. 48/35, 10-33t is just really solid stuff. Highlands was kind of out of control this year. There was a near fight right in front of me. Plenty of people were acting like cars weren’t there. Teams were being super territorial. Considering I got very very little drafting benefit, I thought I did OK. Give a lot of credit to my set up and familiarity with the roads. I rode an Aeroad CFR last year and my SSE4 Hi-mod 2 (with Enve 4.5s) seemed just as fast on the flats and faster on the hills.

S6ED

by S6ED

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Rode my SSE4 today in a hilly Fondo.

Observations:
Congrats on the new bike! Interesting observations, especially liking the less stiff front end.

End of 2016, when I went from a Synapse Hi-Mod Disc to an Evo Hi-Mod Disc (2017 model), I was pleasantly surprised (even shocked) at how much stiffer the front end of the Evo was and how much more confidence it gave me in fast technical descents.

I still ride this Evo and I would be quite hesitant to upgrade to a frameset with a less stiff front end because it would be like downgrading in that respect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com