Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:40 pm
StevieB wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:01 am
The internal ones that fill out the space created by the triangular steerer are the same for the Conceal as for any other standard stem. The external spacers you use to set stem height are different. The aero ones intended for the OEM stems provide a wider interface and give better support than standard round spacers. For an extreme example, imagine a non-integrated setup like in the first pic here with as many spacers as the one in the OEM pic (shared earlier in this thread). Just from playing with parts on my uncut steerer, I can tell you that would feel pretty flexy side to side. The delta steerer is a normal 28.6mm depth, but it's only 23.4mm wide, so it's just not going to be as laterally stiff as a round steerer.

Again all this is just from my first impressions on a yet to be ridden frameset (as well as ilprofessore's experience with the EXS Aerover setup) . It'll be interesting to see how various combo's work out (or not).
Nice bike! Can you use a normal stem with the delta steerer tube? Would a normal (round internal) stem clamp adequately on the delta profile of the steerer?
Read the first sentence of the post you just quoted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rayrick

by rayrick

S6ED wrote:

Nice bike! Can you use a normal stem with the delta steerer tube? Would a normal (round internal) stem clamp adequately on the delta profile of the steerer?
Looks like this is going to be one of those evergreen questions that comes up again and again (and I do have sympathy for folks who do not want to scroll through 90+ pages of SSE content). Anyway, yes, the delta steerer supports regular stems with the use of some adapter spacer thingies that come with it. Folks have successfully fitted a wide variety of stems/integrated bars to the new SSE's.
Last edited by rayrick on Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S6ED

by S6ED

Karvalo wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:48 pm
S6ED wrote:
StevieB wrote:
The internal ones that fill out the space created by the triangular steerer are the same for the Conceal as for any other standard stem. The external spacers you use to set stem height are different. The aero ones intended for the OEM stems provide a wider interface and give better support than standard round spacers. For an extreme example, imagine a non-integrated setup like in the first pic here with as many spacers as the one in the OEM pic (shared earlier in this thread). Just from playing with parts on my uncut steerer, I can tell you that would feel pretty flexy side to side. The delta steerer is a normal 28.6mm depth, but it's only 23.4mm wide, so it's just not going to be as laterally stiff as a round steerer.

Again all this is just from my first impressions on a yet to be ridden frameset (as well as ilprofessore's experience with the EXS Aerover setup) . It'll be interesting to see how various combo's work out (or not).
Are you a thread policeman or something?

S6ED

by S6ED

rayrick wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:53 pm
S6ED wrote:

Looks like this is going to be one of those evergreen questions that comes up again and again (and I do have sympathy for folks who do not want to scroll through 90+ pages of SSE content). Anyway, yes, the delta steerer supports regular stems with the use of some adapter spacer thingies that come with it. Folks have successfully fitted a wide variety of stems/integrated bars to the new SSE's.
Thanks!

rayrick

by rayrick

In fact (and folks can correct me if I'm wrong here), I believe one needs to use the delta-to-round spacers for *everything*, including the C'dale conceal stem (as discussed above) and the momo integrated bars that come equipped with the standard C'dale builds. I was under the misimpression for a while that the momo bars were manufactured specifically to fit the delta steerer, but it looks from the manual like they've got a round stem hole like everything else, so one could theoretically buy them as a stand-alone component (were they actually available!) and put them on a different bike.

S6ED

by S6ED

rayrick wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:07 pm
In fact (and folks can correct me if I'm wrong here), I believe one needs to use the delta-to-round spacers for *everything*, including the C'dale conceal stem (as discussed above) and the momo integrated bars that come equipped with the standard C'dale builds. I was under the misimpression for a while that the momo bars were manufactured specifically to fit the delta steerer, but it looks from the manual like they've got a round stem hole like everything else, so one could theoretically buy them as a stand-alone component (were they actually available!) and put them on a different bike.
Looks like these "fillers" have to be used regardless of type of stem/bar. In fact, Cdale provides two different ones, for the momo combo and for the conceal stem. I suppose/hope the ones or the others can/should be used with a normal stem.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 16.40.56.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 16.43.36.png

S6ED

by S6ED

skinnybex wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 am
Vision Trimax Aero Carbon 38mm and Extralite 120mm stem arrive tomorrow and should be 245 grams and 87 grams and also my Red 12spd Rainbow chain is 249 grams. My build will be 6.8kg ready to ride
Nice build! Apropos the delta steerer mystery, which "fillers" have you used with the normal (i.e. non proprietary Cdale) Extralite stem, the black or the pink ones?

Edit: in the pic you've posted above, I can (probably) see the black ones on your scales (in the bag with the expander assembly). Did they work well with the Extralite stem? Any difficulties you have perhaps encountered?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Vision Trimax Aero Carbon 38mm and Extralite 120mm stem arrive tomorrow and should be 245 grams and 87 grams and also my Red 12spd Rainbow chain is 249 grams. My build will be 6.8kg ready to ride
Nice build! Apropos the delta steerer mystery, which "fillers" have you used with the normal (i.e. non proprietary Cdale) Extralite stem, the black or the pink ones?

Edit: in the pic you've posted above, I can (probably) see the black ones on your scales (in the bag with the expander assembly). Did they work well with the Extralite stem? Any difficulties you have perhaps encountered?
I used the black and it works fine. No issues with the Exralite stem and I've also fitted an Sworks -12 degree stem just to get a bit lower. I only received the black filler pieces with my Hi-mod frameset and I believe if you purchase the Momo bar seperatelrey you get the pink fillers.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

S6ED

by S6ED

skinnybex wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm
S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm
skinnybex wrote:

I used the black and it works fine. No issues with the Exralite stem and I've also fitted an Sworks -12 degree stem just to get a bit lower. I only received the black filler pieces with my Hi-mod frameset and I believe if you purchase the Momo bar seperatelrey you get the pink fillers.
Thanks! Thinking of upgrading to the new Hi-MOd frameset from my 2017 Evo Hi-MOd Disc build. Hence the questions. It's a bummer I won't be able to use the SiSl2 crankset currently on my bike...

By the way, how come you didn't route the brake hoses through the bar (since it does have a hole in the middle) and the stem (I suppose it also has a hole where it clamps onto the steerer) and then into the steerer, for an all internal integrated setup?
Last edited by S6ED on Wed May 31, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieB

by StevieB

S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm
rayrick wrote:
Looks like these "fillers" have to be used regardless of type of stem/bar. In fact, Cdale provides two different ones, for the momo combo and for the conceal stem. I suppose/hope the ones or the others can/should be used with a normal stem.
Confirming that the black delta-to-round spacers ship with framesets and are what Cannondale intends for use with non-oem stems. The pink ones are intended for the Momo/SystemBar stem. There aren't many of the latter floating around and no one has weighed in on their dimensions to date, but my guess is that they only differ in height. The black ones are meant for stems with the industry-common 40mm stack height at the clamp. I wish they made some without the lower cutout and "feet" at the rear so they fully supported the stem top to bottom when running a standard stem. As it is, you can feel the difference when tightening the upper and lower stem clamp bolts; there's noticeably more flex on the bottom due to the cutouts, which aren't needed unless you're running internal brake lines.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:55 pm
Karvalo wrote:
S6ED wrote:
StevieB wrote:

No, I'm just pointing thing out that the answer to your question was contained within your own post, thereby helping you find the answer. Seems like a thank you would be a more appropriate response, don't you think?

S6ED

by S6ED

StevieB wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:30 pm
S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm
rayrick wrote:
Confirming that the black delta-to-round spacers ship with framesets and are what Cannondale intends for use with non-oem stems. The pink ones are intended for the Momo/SystemBar stem. There aren't many of the latter floating around and no one has weighed in on their dimensions to date, but my guess is that they only differ in height. The black ones are meant for stems with the industry-common 40mm stack height at the clamp. I wish they made some without the lower cutout and "feet" at the rear so they fully supported the stem top to bottom when running a standard stem. As it is, you can feel the difference when tightening the upper and lower stem clamp bolts; there's noticeably more flex on the bottom due to the cutouts, which aren't needed unless you're running internal brake lines.
Will it flex even if you slam the (standard) stem? Don't you have to run internal brake lines?

S6ED

by S6ED

Karvalo wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm
S6ED wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:55 pm
Karvalo wrote:
S6ED wrote:

No, I'm just pointing thing out that the answer to your question was contained within your own post, thereby helping you find the answer. Seems like a thank you would be a more appropriate response, don't you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOa5UOHdwnc

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Has anyone gone from a Tarmac SL7 to an EVO4? Curious if there is any noticeable difference.

rayrick

by rayrick

Well, others' mileage may vary but, while I'm very excited for my new EVO4 (which I think I might be getting within the next two weeks!), if I already had an SL7 I would not be in the market for a new top-tier all-rounder race bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com