Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vanerven

by vanerven

My SSEVO4 (58cm) went back to the LBS last Saturday, lots of flex and a hard creaking sound from the seat post, they can't figure out what it is so they will contact Cannondale, who is around the corner (i.e. Woudenberg, the Netherlands).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:23 am
Has anyone else experienced speed wobble / shimmy on their SuperSix Evo4? I'm trying to isolate the cause. Is it the fork (which Tour Magazaine tested as being flexy), frame, or another part? I've already tried two sets of wheels, balancing the wheels, etc. Thanks for sharing any experience you have of this.
What stem (momo handlebars?) are you using? Did you cut the carbon steerer tube at -1mm, flush, or +2mm. I've talked about this a lot in this thread. I tried cutting my steerer tube with +2mm extra and the front felt wobbly. I recommend cutting the steerer tube flush with your stem for best results. That's all I'll say about it. Do a search if you're interested or you think this applies to you.

I've done 50 mph descends with no issues on my Evo 3 with Momo handlebars.

ColonelMustard

by ColonelMustard

njleach wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:28 am
gurk700 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:52 am
I think the fact that the more you tighten the caliper the more it rubs can mean the facing on where your calipers are mounted aren't done properly. Not the end of the world it's rarely PERFECT from factory.
This. Sounds like you need someone to reface your brake mounts to make them perfectly aligned to the rotor. Simple enough if your LBS has the right tools - only need to do it right once and then you'll be set.
Just wanted to mention I had this same problem on my LAB71 frameset. Was impossible to align the rear caliper, I ended up having to use some metal shims. Asked LBS to check the facing and turns out it was off by quite a bit, they used the Park DT-5.2 to correct. Bit of a joke really considering the price of the frameset! Going to try and see if I can get the Labour £ back from Cannondale.

RhettLeeMacau

by RhettLeeMacau

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:58 am
RhettLeeMacau wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:52 am
I'm planning to build a Supersix Hi-mod now. I'm located in Macau(near Hong Kong).
Hi-mod and lab71 frameset are all sold out in China now, and the fastest pre-order I found is in Taiwan. They got Hi-mod my size48 restock in October.
So I got plenty of time to plan how to build it..
I've been trying to find builds in ww but cant find one. Until I found this thread!
As a Lab71 owner, absolutely go for HM. Extra money for Lab71 is only worth it for bragging rights, nothing else.
I can't find any hi-mod pink fork one in stock in Asia. But one Lab71 team EF in my size. I might just get that!
Still thinking if 8170 or 9270. not sure the difference between them. just weight?

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Can anybody with the Momo cockpit measure the depth of the tops? One of my biggest complaints when I ran the Aerofly II bar on my Tarmac was that the flat tops were too wide/deep. The Roval ones got better. Just curious how deep the Momo is because I ride a fair bit in the tops and usually wrap the full bars.

gurk700

by gurk700

RhettLeeMacau wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:30 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:58 am
RhettLeeMacau wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:52 am
I'm planning to build a Supersix Hi-mod now. I'm located in Macau(near Hong Kong).
Hi-mod and lab71 frameset are all sold out in China now, and the fastest pre-order I found is in Taiwan. They got Hi-mod my size48 restock in October.
So I got plenty of time to plan how to build it..
I've been trying to find builds in ww but cant find one. Until I found this thread!
As a Lab71 owner, absolutely go for HM. Extra money for Lab71 is only worth it for bragging rights, nothing else.
I can't find any hi-mod pink fork one in stock in Asia. But one Lab71 team EF in my size. I might just get that!
Still thinking if 8170 or 9270. not sure the difference between them. just weight?
Yes dura ace vs ultegra will just be weight and bragging rights. Personally though I'd still spend the extra on groupset vs the frame. I'm sure an HM will pop up somewhere around you sooner or later!

prenard

by prenard

Hello.

I am installing a Rotor Inspider on my new Supersix Gen4 and I am not able to find which spacers I have to use.

In Rotor Inspider documentation, I get the following table.

In line BSA-68, it is specified DS = 0.5 mm / NDS = 0.5 mm

I use a Hawk Racing BSA30 bottom bracket - https://www.hawk-racing.com/product/bb-eng-30/

But when I mount the Rotor Road spindle with 2 x 0.5 spacers, the axis is too long ! I have to replace the 0.5 spacer on DS by a 2.5 mm one to get a correct result.

Very strange... Any help would be apreciated !

Thanks

Patrick
Attachments
2024-06-13 22 26 07.jpg
Last edited by prenard on Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:08 am
CogInTheMachine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:23 am
Has anyone else experienced speed wobble / shimmy on their SuperSix Evo4? I'm trying to isolate the cause. Is it the fork (which Tour Magazaine tested as being flexy), frame, or another part? I've already tried two sets of wheels, balancing the wheels, etc. Thanks for sharing any experience you have of this.
What stem (momo handlebars?) are you using? Did you cut the carbon steerer tube at -1mm, flush, or +2mm. I've talked about this a lot in this thread. I tried cutting my steerer tube with +2mm extra and the front felt wobbly. I recommend cutting the steerer tube flush with your stem for best results. That's all I'll say about it. Do a search if you're interested or you think this applies to you.

I've done 50 mph descends with no issues on my Evo 3 with Momo handlebars.
The Momo bar/stem doesn't fit me (the reach is way too long), so I'm riding the Storck bar/stem (shortest reach I could find).
The steerer is cut flush with the stem. Yes, I read all about that here. I've read every post, most of them before buying the bike. Thanks for all the great information that let me get to this point.
I realize that the vast majority of owners will not experience speed wobble. I'm most interested in how many do, and if they've found anything to correct it.
My speed wobble depends on which wheels I'm using, speed, crosswind, and cornering forces. I've certainly exceeded 50mph without wobble too, on a straight descent without sidewind.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

ColonelMustard wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:28 am
njleach wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:28 am
gurk700 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:52 am
I think the fact that the more you tighten the caliper the more it rubs can mean the facing on where your calipers are mounted aren't done properly. Not the end of the world it's rarely PERFECT from factory.
This. Sounds like you need someone to reface your brake mounts to make them perfectly aligned to the rotor. Simple enough if your LBS has the right tools - only need to do it right once and then you'll be set.
Just wanted to mention I had this same problem on my LAB71 frameset. Was impossible to align the rear caliper, I ended up having to use some metal shims. Asked LBS to check the facing and turns out it was off by quite a bit, they used the Park DT-5.2 to correct. Bit of a joke really considering the price of the frameset! Going to try and see if I can get the Labour £ back from Cannondale.
Facing my rear brake mounts drastically improved the ease of caliper alignment. Before facing, the caliper would slide as it was tightened, no matter how we braced it (three mechanics tried). After facing, gentle finger pressure is only needed until it is snug and then tightening it down doesn't budge it at all. So, I second facing. In the old days we had to face all the frames before we built them up. I guess those days are back. My facing was done under warranty, paid for by Cannondale.

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:31 pm
The Momo bar/stem doesn't fit me (the reach is way too long), so I'm riding the Storck bar/stem (shortest reach I could find).
The steerer is cut flush with the stem. Yes, I read all about that here. I've read every post, most of them before buying the bike. Thanks for all the great information that let me get to this point.

I realize that the vast majority of owners will not experience speed wobble. I'm most interested in how many do, and if they've found anything to correct it.
My speed wobble depends on which wheels I'm using, speed, crosswind, and cornering forces. I've certainly exceeded 50mph without wobble too, on a straight descent without sidewind.
Do you think what your experiencing is just a characteristic of the wheels and aerodynamics and not the bike? I say this because as you state, "it varies depending on your wheel choice." I have a pair of 65mm wheels and they do feel twitchy in heavy wind conditions, but that is expected.

Here’s a video on how wind effects the tail rotor of a helicopter. It can be dangerous. Having flown in the military, I recognize these states while riding the bike. This may be way more information than is needed, or maybe it's useless information.

Loss of Tail Roter Effectiveness (LTE)

LTE Crash

This is a good article to read if you have access to a research database. You can read the summary if you want to skip the technical part.

Aerodynamics of isolated cycling wheels using wind tunnel tests and computational fluid dynamics
by Wei Yi, Celia Bertin, Peng Zhou, Jiaqi Mao, Siyang Zhong, Xin Zhang
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2022.105085
Attachments
Page 7
Page 7
Page 8
Page 8
Page 9
Page 9
Page 10
Page 10
Page 11
Page 11

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:01 pm
Can anybody with the Momo cockpit measure the depth of the tops? One of my biggest complaints when I ran the Aerofly II bar on my Tarmac was that the flat tops were too wide/deep. The Roval ones got better. Just curious how deep the Momo is because I ride a fair bit in the tops and usually wrap the full bars.
Let me know if this works for you.
Attachments
Momo Tops 1
Momo Tops 1
Momo Tops 2
Momo Tops 2
Momo Tops 3
Momo Tops 3
Momo Tops 4
Momo Tops 4

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:53 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:01 pm
Let me know if this works for you.
Awesome, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Pajazo

by Pajazo

Hi

What lenght stem does the 58cm SSE come with? I couldn't find that information listed on Cannondales website.

charirider

by charirider

Lol, nothing changed, and actually became worse that 1/2gen. I'll pass this gen also. Or come to Specialized.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO gen2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe 105 size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Lina

by Lina

charirider wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:40 pm
Lol, nothing changed, and actually became worse that 1/2gen. I'll pass this gen also. Or come to Specialized.
The 4th generation is a massive improvement over the 3rd generation. And as a race bike they both blow 1/2 gen out of the park.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com