Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vanerven

by vanerven

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:25 pm
vanerven wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:56 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 pm
Has anybody been told to size down the SuperSix? I emailed a shop about what they had in stock and the manager asked my height and inseam, and said that most people size down this frame because it runs bigger than other brands. I’ve never heard this before. I know the stack is slightly higher but the reach is shorter than most other brands. Curious if anybody else has heard this advice. I was planning on just getting the same size as my Tarmac with maybe a longer stem.
I also sized down from 60 (supersix evo 2) to 58 evo4. I fell in between 61 and 58.
I never considered downsizing either, but it doesn't feel or look too bad. Also bought a pair of Bont shoes with low stack height and Speedplay (Wahoo) sole which save about a cm in saddle height.

Interesting. I've never ridden a SuperSix so I was just surprised that I was told this coming from a 58 Specialized Tarmac. The 56 SS Evo looks way too small for me and the 58 looks spot on. So it was odd to me and I never even considered sizing down.

vanerven

by vanerven

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:25 pm
vanerven wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:56 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Has anybody been told to size down the SuperSix? I emailed a shop about what they had in stock and the manager asked my height and inseam, and said that most people size down this frame because it runs bigger than other brands. I’ve never heard this before. I know the stack is slightly higher but the reach is shorter than most other brands. Curious if anybody else has heard this advice. I was planning on just getting the same size as my Tarmac with maybe a longer stem.
I also sized down from 60 (supersix evo 2) to 58 evo4. I fell in between 61 and 58.
Interesting. I've never ridden a SuperSix so I was just surprised that I was told this coming from a 58 Specialized Tarmac. The 56 SS Evo looks way too small for me and the 58 looks spot on. So it was odd to me and I never even considered sizing down.
I never considered downsizing either, but it doesn't feel or look too bad. Also bought a pair of Bont shoes with low stack height and Speedplay (Wahoo) sole which save about a cm in saddle height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

I think there is no general rule. Some pros like to downsize and Max Pedersen at 180cm rides 58 Trek bike with 130mm stem. I don´t see much reason to downsize Supersix unless you already ride a slammed bike. Supersix has generous stack height but its reach and other specs are normal.

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

BikeTyson wrote:
Yeah I usually run a 58 on most bikes but have sized down on the Supersix to a 56 as the geometry allows it. I had a size 58 gen 3 and while it felt comfortable, for me aesthetically 56 and below just looks better. I sold my gen 3 Supersix and bought a Caad13 as a winter bike in a 56 to see how it felt and it fits perfectly, so I've literally just ordered a gen 4 Supersix in 56 as I know it'll fit me. For reference i'm 185cm tall with an 86cm inseam.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

hannawald wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:59 pm
I think there is no general rule. Some pros like to downsize and Max Pedersen at 180cm rides 58 Trek bike with 130mm stem. I don´t see much reason to downsize Supersix unless you already ride a slammed bike. Supersix has generous stack height but its reach and other specs are normal.
I’m 190cm tall, 92 inseam. And had a 120mm stem on my 58 Tarmac. It wasn’t slammed though. Going to a 56 I’d need a 130 probably.

gurk700

by gurk700

Supersix is higher than most other race bikes. It's not longer. Sizing down depends on what you need.

For example my 51 supersix and 52 tarmac:
tarmac is lower stack and longer reach.
at same stem length and stem angle supersix would be 8mm higher.
2mm shorter from data but also around 3mm more because of steeper seat angle. i.e. 5mm shorter reach.

I'd check the comparison to whatever bike you're coming from on geometry geeks website. Make sure the values they have for your bike are correct. sometimes they aren't.

daukstik

by daukstik

BikeTyson wrote:
yes I did exactly this, have a super six evo hi mod tour de future size 54 and ride a lab 71 size 51 where the fit ends up being similar all else being equal
Attachments
IMG20231119231054.jpg
IMG20240523112243.jpg

daukstik

by daukstik

Martin.F wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:51 pm
I did the topcap-modification mentioned earlier in the thread for my own vision metron 5d evo today

Used dremel to expand the hole in the topcap to fit the internal-threaded cannondale compression bolt
Chamfered it to make it sit flush

I had to cut the fork to compensate for different stack height between vision and original conceal stem, so with proper steerer tube length the bolt barely reaches through to grab threads on expander-bolt.

I had to lift the "lip" of my expander by 1 or 2 mm above steerer tube to engage enough threads

Looks pretty original to me :D
nice work, glad I could be helpful!!

one question, what spacer did you use below the handlebar to allow the feet of the fillers to sit on properly?

currently I had to mix and match spacers to allow the compression assembly filler pieces to sit on the cannondale spacer but I'm using vision spacers for the remainder, see photo
Attachments
IMG20240523112233.jpg

ultyguy

by ultyguy

So just on the racing front…I have a the 3rd gen SS Leichtbau and an SL7 non-sworks (now 4 years old?). I use the SS for big mountain sportives and long races and the SL7 for crits and fast races and I think each is well suited to what I’m using them for. Imho the SL7 is a better handling, more twitchy bike but the SS is better for long days. I’ve got the SL7 set up around 1.5cm lower with narrower bars.

I’m contemplating the evo4 himod to replace the SS I have for the more aero etc and to go electronic (DA mech now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RhettLeeMacau

by RhettLeeMacau

I'm planning to build a Supersix Hi-mod now. I'm located in Macau(near Hong Kong).
Hi-mod and lab71 frameset are all sold out in China now, and the fastest pre-order I found is in Taiwan. They got Hi-mod my size48 restock in October.
So I got plenty of time to plan how to build it..
I've been trying to find builds in ww but cant find one. Until I found this thread!

gurk700

by gurk700

RhettLeeMacau wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:52 am
I'm planning to build a Supersix Hi-mod now. I'm located in Macau(near Hong Kong).
Hi-mod and lab71 frameset are all sold out in China now, and the fastest pre-order I found is in Taiwan. They got Hi-mod my size48 restock in October.
So I got plenty of time to plan how to build it..
I've been trying to find builds in ww but cant find one. Until I found this thread!
As a Lab71 owner, absolutely go for HM. Extra money for Lab71 is only worth it for bragging rights, nothing else.

hannawald

by hannawald

Does anybody (for example those who have bought EF Education First ex bike) know what bottom bracket do EF team bikes have? Do they use standard FSA bb or something more fancy? Looking for the best BSA to 30mm cranks option. So far I like the BB Infinite solution the best (very light at 73g, almost the same as Shimano BB for Dura Ace cranks) but being from Europe it is rather expensive when I have to count with 70 euros shipping and 21 % VAT... Most BBs are around 90g.

TiCass

by TiCass

hannawald wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:00 pm
Does anybody (for example those who have bought EF Education First ex bike) know what bottom bracket do EF team bikes have? Do they use standard FSA bb or something more fancy? Looking for the best BSA to 30mm cranks option. So far I like the BB Infinite solution the best (very light at 73g, almost the same as Shimano BB for Dura Ace cranks) but being from Europe it is rather expensive when I have to count with 70 euros shipping and 21 % VAT... Most BBs are around 90g.
I put the BBInfinite on mine and its fantastic!

cobc11

by cobc11

hannawald wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:00 pm
EF is using FSA K-Force BB386 cranks so they have the FSA MegaEVO Ceramic BB386EVO to BSA BB. Oddly enough I cant seem to find it on FSAs website anymore but do see it listed on some online retialers

https://www.thecyclepath.com/product/fs ... 6124-1.htm

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

So, I have previously owned an SSE 4 and had awful issues with the seatpost.

Ended up getting one yesterday. Unfortunately, being somewhat experienced with the seatpost, I took it out cleaned it up, applied a liberal amount of carbon paste to it. Next I took out the seatpost clamping mechanism, made sure it was purple (it was), applied a liberal amount of thick grease to the front face, and carbon paste to the back. Reinserted the post to the proper height and torqued it to exactly 8nm.

Fast forward to my first ride today, I was reminded of why I love this bike and why it’s perfect for me. It’s super fast, comfortable, and is a great climber. It’s an amazing bike.

And then the seatpost started to creak and crack a little bit. Ugh!

I made sure it was the seatpost and not something else and then pulled over. Taking my multitool, I could feel that the bolt was no longer at 8nm. I retightened it by hand to my best guess at 8nm. No more creak!

By the end of the ride, the creak was starting to come back a bit.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com