Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

action2096
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:27 am

by action2096

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:27 am
action2096 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 am
Hi,

I'm currently bike shopping and the SSE has made its way onto my shortlist and i was hoping that someone might be able to give me some objective feedback in regards road feel/comfort. I've read a whole heap of reviews and while some people have said that the bike is very comfortable others have mentioned that it rides a bit harsh. For reference my current bike is the the latest generation Emonda SLR and while there is a lot i like about it i do find that on rough road surfaces there is a lot of vibration and road buzz which can get fatiguing after a while. I've tried playing around with wider tyres and lower pressures etc and its still noticeable. I recently managed to ride a couple of chapter 2 demo bikes and while they were both stiff they felt smoother than my Emonda on roads that i know very well. Even their full on aero bike was still an improvement which leads me believe that its the Emonda frame that is the issue.

What is the general concensus on the latest EVO and has anyone got any experience with an Emonda for comparasion ? In terms of models i was looking at the Hi-Mod frame but have also read that with some bikes the 2nd tier frameset can often offer up a bit more comfort due to the type of carbon used in certain parts of the frame. Not sure how true this is but i'd happily trade an extra 100g or so in weight for a smoother ride.

Cheers
I used to have current generation Emonda SLR and now I ride current generation Supersix Hi Mod. While I know some people that are happy with Emonda I sold it quite quickly. I don´t blame Emonda because I rode it with 100mm stem, short reach bars and maybe 5cm of spacers - maximum as it came from the factory. While the bike is measured as not stiff by Tour Magazine my feelings were that it is a fantastic climber but I didn´t like how it descended and mostly it felt very harsh on broker tarmac. I had a chance to ride it on broken Tuscany roads and I really didn´t enjoy it. The bike is not comfortable and probably the short wheelbase combined with my not very stretched position made it very jumpy over the broken tarmac. I really prefer the Supersix which is a decent climber but I remember Emonda maybe slightly better, but in all other areas I prefer Supersix. Definitely much much more comfortable and better handling bike. Maybe if you ride on perfect tarmac and have a slammed and stretched position you might have different feelings but in my case I definitely value Supersix more.
And if you are conserned in comfort then Supersix is definitely better than Emonda. Emonda was one of the worst bikes I have ever had in this regard. Supersix is not as good as Domane but surprisingly not by much.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Must admit sounds similar to mine in many ways. On smooth tarmac I absolutely love the way the Emonda descends however on less than perfect roads it just feels jittery and that I'm getting thrown around a bit. What model supersix do you have by the way ?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



hannawald
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

action2096 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 11:30 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. Must admit sounds similar to mine in many ways. On smooth tarmac I absolutely love the way the Emonda descends however on less than perfect roads it just feels jittery and that I'm getting thrown around a bit. What model supersix do you have by the way ?
Mine is hi mod. I have built it from the frameset. I don´t think hi mod is any harsher then standard mod. It is really a comfortable bike. For me it is the best option if you can afford it. Almost as light as LAB71 and the same pros are riding (they are on hi mod and not LAB71 frames), so you don´t have to have regrets:)

BobbyB
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm

by BobbyB

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 5:30 am
Noticed some knocking while in the big ring and the 11 cog. At first I thought I ran over a thumbtack or had something stuck in my rear tire. After further inspection I noticed my rear derailleur hanger came loose. I've had the bike one year and have 2,500 miles/4023 kilometers on it. Don't forget to check your rear derailleur hanger. It torques down to 2 Nm.

I had the exact same issue. I have about 2k miles on mine but about 3/4 of those are on the trainer so static miles without much vibration etc. I suspect the hanger bolt (just one) was loose when I received the bike and worked it's way out over time before I noticed it. I tightened it back up and has been fine since but I check it every so often just in case it turns into a recurring issue.

User avatar
wheelbuilder
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am

by wheelbuilder

action2096 wrote:Hi,

I'm currently bike shopping and the SSE has made its way onto my shortlist and i was hoping that someone might be able to give me some objective feedback in regards road feel/comfort. I've read a whole heap of reviews and while some people have said that the bike is very comfortable others have mentioned that it rides a bit harsh. For reference my current bike is the the latest generation Emonda SLR and while there is a lot i like about it i do find that on rough road surfaces there is a lot of vibration and road buzz which can get fatiguing after a while. I've tried playing around with wider tyres and lower pressures etc and its still noticeable. I recently managed to ride a couple of chapter 2 demo bikes and while they were both stiff they felt smoother than my Emonda on roads that i know very well. Even their full on aero bike was still an improvement which leads me believe that its the Emonda frame that is the issue.

What is the general concensus on the latest EVO and has anyone got any experience with an Emonda for comparasion ? In terms of models i was looking at the Hi-Mod frame but have also read that with some bikes the 2nd tier frameset can often offer up a bit more comfort due to the type of carbon used in certain parts of the frame. Not sure how true this is but i'd happily trade an extra 100g or so in weight for a smoother ride.

Cheers
What makes you value comfort so highly? Do you have injuries?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

gurk700
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

by gurk700

Comfort: If you aren't comfortable on a road bike even though you are fitted correctly, I doubt changing frames will fix that.
Either fix your fit or if you don't ride 10+ hours per week, maybe road race bike isn't your thing.

Sorry it's just the harsh reality. Our bodies aren't naturally made to be in that weird as hell ride position. We just get used to it by doing it for thousands of hours.

And I realize comfort can also mean road buzz, etc etc but you get used to all of that. For example, hands irritated by road buzz = could be that you're not using your core enough and have too much weight on your hands. Road buzz directly transfers to your hands, arms, shoulders. If you are able to loosen your hands via engaging core, you won't be uncomfortable on your hands.

If you ride hours and hours per week, your ass kinda gets used to it and you aren't even bothered by bumps etc.

And so on... My take anyway. I've been on both sides of this. Soon I might stop chasing PR's and strict training etc but I never wanna drop volume down too much because it's really hard to enjoy cycling with all the aches and discomfort. Only way for me to get rid of all of that was to ride more. My fit got more aggressive over the years if anything. (I'm 41 btw)

action2096
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:27 am

by action2096

gurk700 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 am
Comfort: If you aren't comfortable on a road bike even though you are fitted correctly, I doubt changing frames will fix that.
Either fix your fit or if you don't ride 10+ hours per week, maybe road race bike isn't your thing.

Sorry it's just the harsh reality. Our bodies aren't naturally made to be in that weird as hell ride position. We just get used to it by doing it for thousands of hours.

And I realize comfort can also mean road buzz, etc etc but you get used to all of that. For example, hands irritated by road buzz = could be that you're not using your core enough and have too much weight on your hands. Road buzz directly transfers to your hands, arms, shoulders. If you are able to loosen your hands via engaging core, you won't be uncomfortable on your hands.

If you ride hours and hours per week, your ass kinda gets used to it and you aren't even bothered by bumps etc.

And so on... My take anyway. I've been on both sides of this. Soon I might stop chasing PR's and strict training etc but I never wanna drop volume down too much because it's really hard to enjoy cycling with all the aches and discomfort. Only way for me to get rid of all of that was to ride more. My fit got more aggressive over the years if anything. (I'm 41 btw)
It's not a fit thing. Position is good and I tend to average around 10hrs a week so volume is decent. It's not like I'm getting specific issues with sore back or next etc I'm just looking for something that can reduce some of the buzz that comes from shitty road surfaces. The demo bike I rode had near identical geometry and was better for sure. It was heavy though (8kg+) and didn't have much in the way of aero features which is why I'm considering the SSE

gurk700
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

by gurk700

action2096 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:09 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 am
Comfort: If you aren't comfortable on a road bike even though you are fitted correctly, I doubt changing frames will fix that.
Either fix your fit or if you don't ride 10+ hours per week, maybe road race bike isn't your thing.

Sorry it's just the harsh reality. Our bodies aren't naturally made to be in that weird as hell ride position. We just get used to it by doing it for thousands of hours.

And I realize comfort can also mean road buzz, etc etc but you get used to all of that. For example, hands irritated by road buzz = could be that you're not using your core enough and have too much weight on your hands. Road buzz directly transfers to your hands, arms, shoulders. If you are able to loosen your hands via engaging core, you won't be uncomfortable on your hands.

If you ride hours and hours per week, your ass kinda gets used to it and you aren't even bothered by bumps etc.

And so on... My take anyway. I've been on both sides of this. Soon I might stop chasing PR's and strict training etc but I never wanna drop volume down too much because it's really hard to enjoy cycling with all the aches and discomfort. Only way for me to get rid of all of that was to ride more. My fit got more aggressive over the years if anything. (I'm 41 btw)
It's not a fit thing. Position is good and I tend to average around 10hrs a week so volume is decent. It's not like I'm getting specific issues with sore back or next etc I'm just looking for something that can reduce some of the buzz that comes from shitty road surfaces. The demo bike I rode had near identical geometry and was better for sure. It was heavy though (8kg+) and didn't have much in the way of aero features which is why I'm considering the SSE
Well I'll say it again, I don't think the difference will be much in the frame. This is coming from someone who loves the evo (obviously). I would pay way more attention to tires and wheels.

I've owned in the past couple years:
2x SSE Evos
Look Blade 795 RS
Cervelo R5
Cervelo Soloist
Gen 2 SSE Evo

Couldn't tell you one frame is more comfortable than the other if there was a gun to my head.

BUT ofcourse I hope your issues are resolved if you do end up getting an SSE. Amazing bike and I'm completely biased.

BobbyB
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm

by BobbyB

gurk700 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm
action2096 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:09 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:44 am
Comfort: If you aren't comfortable on a road bike even though you are fitted correctly, I doubt changing frames will fix that.
Either fix your fit or if you don't ride 10+ hours per week, maybe road race bike isn't your thing.

Sorry it's just the harsh reality. Our bodies aren't naturally made to be in that weird as hell ride position. We just get used to it by doing it for thousands of hours.

And I realize comfort can also mean road buzz, etc etc but you get used to all of that. For example, hands irritated by road buzz = could be that you're not using your core enough and have too much weight on your hands. Road buzz directly transfers to your hands, arms, shoulders. If you are able to loosen your hands via engaging core, you won't be uncomfortable on your hands.

If you ride hours and hours per week, your ass kinda gets used to it and you aren't even bothered by bumps etc.

And so on... My take anyway. I've been on both sides of this. Soon I might stop chasing PR's and strict training etc but I never wanna drop volume down too much because it's really hard to enjoy cycling with all the aches and discomfort. Only way for me to get rid of all of that was to ride more. My fit got more aggressive over the years if anything. (I'm 41 btw)
It's not a fit thing. Position is good and I tend to average around 10hrs a week so volume is decent. It's not like I'm getting specific issues with sore back or next etc I'm just looking for something that can reduce some of the buzz that comes from shitty road surfaces. The demo bike I rode had near identical geometry and was better for sure. It was heavy though (8kg+) and didn't have much in the way of aero features which is why I'm considering the SSE
Well I'll say it again, I don't think the difference will be much in the frame. This is coming from someone who loves the evo (obviously). I would pay way more attention to tires and wheels.

I've owned in the past couple years:
2x SSE Evos
Look Blade 795 RS
Cervelo R5
Cervelo Soloist
Gen 2 SSE Evo

Couldn't tell you one frame is more comfortable than the other if there was a gun to my head.

BUT ofcourse I hope your issues are resolved if you do end up getting an SSE. Amazing bike and I'm completely biased.
I'll beg to differ. One of the first things I noticed about my SuperSix (3, non-Himod), coming from a 2015 Canyon Ultimate, was how smooth it was in comparison, much more comfortable and much less fatiguing. I didn't really think the Canyon was that bad until I got my SuperSix! I have quite a few crappy roads near me (including a terrible chip seal job (the council done this to my favourite road 😭) and it just makes it nicer to ride, dampens vibrations better and takes larger jolts better too. I think the seat stays/thin seatpost help here, they have a fair amount of flex (in a good way).

So I'd say you won't be disappointed with the comfort of the SuperSix, go for it!

gurk700
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

by gurk700

BobbyB wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:06 pm
I'll beg to differ. One of the first things I noticed about my SuperSix (3, non-Himod), coming from a 2015 Canyon Ultimate, was how smooth it was in comparison, much more comfortable and much less fatiguing. I didn't really think the Canyon was that bad until I got my SuperSix! I have quite a few crappy roads near me (including a terrible chip seal job (the council done this to my favourite road 😭) and it just makes it nicer to ride, dampens vibrations better and takes larger jolts better too. I think the seat stays/thin seatpost help here, they have a fair amount of flex (in a good way).

So I'd say you won't be disappointed with the comfort of the SuperSix, go for it!
I rode the bikes I listed (except Evo gen2 obviously) with the same gear. i.e. handlebars, saddle, wheelset, tires (same tubeless setup)
I sure hope you did too while comparing, cause like I said, frame made little to no difference once all of those components were the same.
If you have different wheels / tires on, it's apples to oranges.

Anyway I said my piece. Would hate to see someone thinking Evo will solve all the comfort issues just to find out it was just wheelset and tires.

But placebo could be a great drug as well so.. Who knows!

BikeTyson
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:16 pm

by BikeTyson

Anybody here racing their SuperSix? I want a new race bike. My short list is down to the SuperSix, Tarmac SL7, and Tarmac SL8. Mainly because I can get a decent Specialized or Cannondale discount from my local shop that carries both brands. I vaguely remember seeing the Tour tested the SuperSix as not very stiff. Obviously world tour guys are using it so I'm sure it's fine. Just curious how people are finding it. The SS and SL7 I can get the 105 mech build for around $3000, and I'd strip it and build up with Di2. I just want the paint job. The SL8 would be more expensive in the color I want (Rival AXS), and I use Shimano so I'd have to build it from the frame. Could probably sell the groupset and wheels. I'm not a fan of the SL8 looks, but it might be more aero than the SL7. The SS tested the most aero of the three. The other thing is that I have an ENVE stem and bar, and they make a top cap for the Tarmacs. I'm not sure how I'd use the Enve stem with the SS. Anybody try fitting the In Route stem?

Edit: Oh, and I know it's a stupid reason, but one other reason I like the SS is that everybody and their mom has a Tarmac and I kind of wanted something different.

omarcastz
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

by omarcastz

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:23 am
I'm not a fan of the SL8 looks, but it might be more aero than the SL7. The SS tested the most aero of the three.
Edit: Oh, and I know it's a stupid reason, but one other reason I like the SS is that everybody and their mom has a Tarmac and I kind of wanted something different.
Actually, according to Tour Magazine the SL7 is about 1 or 2 watts faster than the SL8 (so pretty negligible). The SL8 is definitely lighter but that matters even less than aero (which is where the Supersix tested faster than both the SL7 and SL8, again not by much but still....).
Any of the three bikes is more than good enough for racing. I'm with you on not wanting something that everyone else has. My Supersix Evo is stiff enough for me, the geomatry suits me, and it rides pretty well with the Momo bar. I'm coming from a 2nd generation rim brake Supersix Evo.

hannawald
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

Not a racer so I can't help, I just wonder how the stiffness numbers work in reality because one of the least stiff bikes - Emonda SLR was one of the best climbing bikes I have tried and the least comfortable. Just the opposite I would expect. So not sure those lab tests speak the truth about bike qualities.

prenard
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 am

by prenard

Hello Folks.
I am looking for Cannondale Supersix Gen4 cut steerer tube pieces.
Image
If you have some cm of cut steerer tube after cutting your fork, I am interested in !
Contact me by MP.
Thanks.
Patrick

ColonelMustard
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:45 am

by ColonelMustard

gurk700 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm
Well I'll say it again, I don't think the difference will be much in the frame. This is coming from someone who loves the evo (obviously). I would pay way more attention to tires and wheels.
I'd go with this too... biggest differences in road buzz type of comfort for me is down to wheels & tyres. For example, for me a 28mm Pirelli feels more comfy than a 28mm GP5000. I've just gone up to 30mm Pirellis and running at 60psi (am 78kg) and it's even more comfy(!) and just as fast. On dodgy roads and lanes, especially descents, it gives you confidence to ride faster.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Lina
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm

by Lina

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:23 am
Anybody here racing their SuperSix? I want a new race bike. My short list is down to the SuperSix, Tarmac SL7, and Tarmac SL8. Mainly because I can get a decent Specialized or Cannondale discount from my local shop that carries both brands. I vaguely remember seeing the Tour tested the SuperSix as not very stiff. Obviously world tour guys are using it so I'm sure it's fine. Just curious how people are finding it. The SS and SL7 I can get the 105 mech build for around $3000, and I'd strip it and build up with Di2. I just want the paint job. The SL8 would be more expensive in the color I want (Rival AXS), and I use Shimano so I'd have to build it from the frame. Could probably sell the groupset and wheels. I'm not a fan of the SL8 looks, but it might be more aero than the SL7. The SS tested the most aero of the three. The other thing is that I have an ENVE stem and bar, and they make a top cap for the Tarmacs. I'm not sure how I'd use the Enve stem with the SS. Anybody try fitting the In Route stem?

Edit: Oh, and I know it's a stupid reason, but one other reason I like the SS is that everybody and their mom has a Tarmac and I kind of wanted something different.
I've done what you plan on doing and went with the SuperSix, mostly because I got a deal on the 105 mech build at $2500. If it isn't as stiff as some other bikes I can't tell. It doesn't feel like a noodle and behaves very well even when the group is pushing 70 km/h.

Post Reply