Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StevieB

by StevieB

StevieB wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:41 pm
The spacer/fillers are 40mm tall at the very rear "feet", but for most of their width they're about 33mm tall since they're cut away at the bottom to make room for the brake lines. I'll have to re-measure next time I have 'em out to get the actual dimensions. The "feet" sit on top of the transitional spacer that you have to use just below any stem; it's round externally but the inner hole is triangular to match the fork steerer . If you don't use it, the spacer/fillers will just fall down below the stem and be useless. What happens is that the stem, any stem, doesnt contact the steerer on the sides where it's triangular for the bottom 7mm or so, only at the front and rear. With a beefy stem it's not noticeable, but with a light one you can tell the difference. And yes, that is where I meant grinding them off. Other stems with thinner walls will leave more internal space, so the amount would be stem-specific.
Following up to correct my bad data above after re-measuring mine. The delta steerer filler/spacers are 37mm tall at the feet, but only 30mm tall for most of their width, so a standard 40mm high stem clamp will have no support for the bottom centimeter (25%!) on the sides where the steerer is triangular. I'd love to be able to get some without the lower cutout for the brake lines...

S6ED

by S6ED

StevieB wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:43 pm
StevieB wrote:
The spacer/fillers are 40mm tall at the very rear "feet", but for most of their width they're about 33mm tall since they're cut away at the bottom to make room for the brake lines. I'll have to re-measure next time I have 'em out to get the actual dimensions. The "feet" sit on top of the transitional spacer that you have to use just below any stem; it's round externally but the inner hole is triangular to match the fork steerer . If you don't use it, the spacer/fillers will just fall down below the stem and be useless. What happens is that the stem, any stem, doesnt contact the steerer on the sides where it's triangular for the bottom 7mm or so, only at the front and rear. With a beefy stem it's not noticeable, but with a light one you can tell the difference. And yes, that is where I meant grinding them off. Other stems with thinner walls will leave more internal space, so the amount would be stem-specific.
Following up to correct my bad data above after re-measuring mine. The delta steerer filler/spacers are 37mm tall at the feet, but only 30mm tall for most of their width, so a standard 40mm high stem clamp will have no support for the bottom centimeter (25%!) on the sides where the steerer is triangular. I'd love to be able to get some without the lower cutout for the brake lines...
Thanks for the info. I suppose it's doable to somehow manufacture these fillers out of some hard enough material to a full 40mm length and just carve out a bit of material at the front lower side, just enough for the brake lines to go through. Or not?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

S6ED wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:00 am
Rode my SSE4 today in a hilly Fondo.

Observations:
-Appreciated the less stiff front end
Congrats on the new bike! Interesting observations, especially liking the less stiff front end.

End of 2016, when I went from a Synapse Hi-Mod Disc to an Evo Hi-Mod Disc (2017 model), I was pleasantly surprised (even shocked) at how much stiffer the front end of the Evo was and how much more confidence it gave me in fast technical descents.

I still ride this Evo and I would be quite hesitant to upgrade to a frameset with a less stiff front end because it would be like downgrading in that respect.
I mean, I wouldn’t call it flexy, but that’s just me. I’m thinking that, for me, it’s just about getting used to the bike because the geometry is dialed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rayrick

by rayrick

I'm not entirely discounting the Tour stiffness tests, but I have read (or watched) just about every gen4 SSE review that's been published (and there's a lot!) and not one has mentioned a subjective feeling on the part of the reviewer of it feeling "flexy" anywhere. I'm guessing I won't notice, but others may be more sensitive than I!

StevieB

by StevieB

S6ED wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:49 pm
StevieB wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:43 pm
StevieB wrote:
Thanks for the info. I suppose it's doable to somehow manufacture these fillers out of some hard enough material to a full 40mm length and just carve out a bit of material at the front lower side, just enough for the brake lines to go through. Or not?
Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work; suppose someone could 3D print some, or else machine from solid stock. Since they're under compression, they shouldn't need to be super strong.

Scania123

by Scania123

Are there any differences in stiffness/comfort between the Lab71, Hi-Mod, and normal frames or just weight?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

S6ED wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:24 pm

End of 2016, when I went from a Synapse Hi-Mod Disc to an Evo Hi-Mod Disc (2017 model), I was pleasantly surprised (even shocked) at how much stiffer the front end of the Evo was and how much more confidence it gave me in fast technical descents.

I still ride this Evo and I would be quite hesitant to upgrade to a frameset with a less stiff front end because it would be like downgrading in that respect.
When you're comparing two different bikes with different steering geometries and (likely) different handlebar/rider positions I think it's very difficult to pinpoint the effect of front end stiffness in all the rest of that noise.

S6ED

by S6ED

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:50 am
S6ED wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:24 pm

When you're comparing two different bikes with different steering geometries and (likely) different handlebar/rider positions I think it's very difficult to pinpoint the effect of front end stiffness in all the rest of that noise.
True. It nevertheless felt like going from a fast sedan to a true sports car. At the time, what stood out the most was front end stiffness and compactness.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I'm thinking of selling my Custom frame up build but only for USA customers as I won't deal with shipping and export outside of North America. I love the bike and it really shines as an All-Around steed but Unfortunatley I'm moving from the Punchy hills of Arkansas to Orlando, Florida in August and having a sub 7kg bike doesn't make sense. Bike is posted on Pinkbike. I'm firm on the price.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

TLN

by TLN

rayrick wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:07 pm
I'm not entirely discounting the Tour stiffness tests, but I have read (or watched) just about every gen4 SSE review that's been published (and there's a lot!) and not one has mentioned a subjective feeling on the part of the reviewer of it feeling "flexy" anywhere. I'm guessing I won't notice, but others may be more sensitive than I!
It would be sucidal for any reviewer to post critical review on highly anticipated flagship bike especially during economy downturn.

You can read some interesting thoughts here, for example: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=167798&start=15#p1709729
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

rayrick

by rayrick

I hear ya, TLN. But I *would* contend that, even if they're trying to be nice in their initial review, they don't need to go out of their way to highlight a given bike as one of their favorites among recent releases, as Bikeradar, Cycling Weekly and David Arthur have all done with the SSE4.

Svetty

by Svetty

alanyu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am
I'm wondering if anyone here has recieved a LAB 71. All I see in the real world is HM and Carbon...
:D :D :D

rayrick

by rayrick

They're definitely out there in the wild. I was hunting around for a Hi-Mod 2 in my size and reached out to a bike shop about an hour and a half from my house. They said they had a built Lab71 on the floor.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Any notion as to when the Momo bar is actually going to be available aftermarket? Same with the Aerover with the appropriate spacers? I know the 5D ACR works somehow or another, but there’s some trick with the top cap bolt or something.

I think I’m going to need a new bar. I bought a Coefficient RR bar and like it, but I took off the stem faceplate to install the Cannondale Go Pro mount and discovered gouges on the top and bottom. Coefficient is saying that it’s due to “extreme misalignment of the faceplate” i.e., they think I torqued down the top bolts before the bottom bolts. In reality, the marks are the same on top and bottom and I used my Topeak D-Torq to torque down to 5nm in the cross-cross pattern. The bar is rated to 6nm. In other words, I did a perfect install. They also won’t tell me if it’s rideable based on pictures. Lovely. It’s hard for me to tell if it’s just through the clear coat or actually impacting Carbon. Either way, it’s stupid and I’m really disappointed in Coefficient. Pictures below. Could it be something weird with the Conceal stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rayrick

by rayrick

Bummer. I talked to Cannondale and they mumbled something about July for the momo bars being available as a stand-alone part.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com