Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

req110

by req110

Any chance someone can say whether it's made in China or Taiwan?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

req110 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 am
I want to say I saw a sticker stating "Made in Taiwan"
But I'll have to check
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

req110 wrote:
Almost certainly made in PRC and 'finished' in ROC (whether that really means painted or not one can only guess).

Karvalo

by Karvalo

RDY wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:43 pm
req110 wrote:
Almost certainly made in PRC and 'finished' in ROC (whether that really means painted or not one can only guess).
Why almost certainly?

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

spartan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 am
are you a cannondale dealer "it's one the best value high end road bike sold in the world right now." laughable statement. cannondale are not HIGH END.

i am huge fan of the new design direction of cannodale but the pricing model is still too high. the covid/easy money ERA is OVER. 7k for ultegra di2 this price will be soon matched by specialized/trek/giant next year. these brands are stronger mainstream brands.
Dalton wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:24 am
Yes, it's been technically released in Canada but none have been available yet to order, or very very few. They are all sold out until November 2023 raw carbon and Feb 2024 in the green colour. Super well priced and there is a huge demand for that bike because it's one the best value high end road bike sold in the world right now.
Are you a troll?

Stronger brands don't mean better bikes. I'd absolutely rank C'dale ahead of Trek on bike quality. Probably similar to Giant on quality but C'Dale's new SuperSix is testing much better than the Giant stuff AND Giant does truly bizarre shit with their specs so the "deal" you think you're getting isn't that great. Specialized is probably the best overall out of those brands but then you have to deal with specialized "issues", I've been there done that, no thanks. Most impressiving think about C'Dale is their support and willingness to help shops help customers.
Also you can get a SuperSix Evo Ultegra Di2 bike from C'Dale for $5500.

C'Dale has long made great bikes, are they the absolute top of the line? maybe not? Calling them high end value, is definitely not laughable.

spartan

by spartan

troll really wtf. i have been member since 2004 LOL. i see you joined in 2022. do you work in the industry?

cannondale in the past have always had mediocre quality control. crankdale/bb creaking issue and this was the last major f** up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBAgEEtcGQ

now i think they have turned a corner and made massive improvement in their manufacturing quality. trek/spec/giant are still stronger brands.

imho high end brands are pinarello/colnago/swork/cervelo

cheers

OUGrad05 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:45 pm
spartan wrote:
are you a cannondale dealer "it's one the best value high end road bike sold in the world right now." laughable statement. cannondale are not HIGH END.

i am huge fan of the new design direction of cannodale but the pricing model is still too high. the covid/easy money ERA is OVER. 7k for ultegra di2 this price will be soon matched by specialized/trek/giant next year. these brands are stronger mainstream brands.
Dalton wrote:
Yes, it's been technically released in Canada but none have been available yet to order, or very very few. They are all sold out until November 2023 raw carbon and Feb 2024 in the green colour. Super well priced and there is a huge demand for that bike because it's one the best value high end road bike sold in the world right now.
Are you a troll?

Stronger brands don't mean better bikes. I'd absolutely rank C'dale ahead of Trek on bike quality. Probably similar to Giant on quality but C'Dale's new SuperSix is testing much better than the Giant stuff AND Giant does truly bizarre shit with their specs so the "deal" you think you're getting isn't that great. Specialized is probably the best overall out of those brands but then you have to deal with specialized "issues", I've been there done that, no thanks. Most impressiving think about C'Dale is their support and willingness to help shops help customers.

C'Dale has long made great bikes, are they the absolute top of the line? maybe not? Calling them high end value, is definitely not laughable.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

hannawald

by hannawald

Support probably depends on the country but I was given no support from Cannondale in case of clear manufacturing fault (my fork couldn't clear 160mm rotor on DT Swiss hub, Cannondale said it is a future because with Cannondale hub it was ok. My friend had same bike and he was ok with my DT Swiss wheels, clearly bad tolerance in my case). My friend had a crack on fork turning stopper, a known issue on first MY of Supersix 3rd gen. He was warrantied but not as a manufacturers fault but they said it is his fault but as a goodwill they would change it. Next MY they changed the design of the stopper with metal reinforcement. We both had issues with creaking seatposts, it was fixed in the end after couple of months. Now lets talk about manufacturing quality...i guess they fixed the issues with next model years of the bike but I would hasitate to buy early production batches and be a public tester for them.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

spartan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:02 pm
troll really wtf. i have been member since 2004 LOL. i see you joined in 2022. do you work in the industry?

cannondale in the past have always had mediocre quality control. crankdale/bb creaking issue and this was the last major f** up

now i think they have turned a corner and made massive improvement in their manufacturing quality. trek/spec/giant are still stronger brands.

cheers

OUGrad05 wrote:
spartan wrote:

Dalton wrote:
Are you a troll?

I think all the brands that used pressfit bottom brackets have had issues with creaking to some degree except Giant - never heard of any issues there. I know Trek's have had quite a few issues with creaking BB's to the point that they sell a slightly oversized bearing for troublesome frames. There is a reason nearly every brand is moving away from press fit BB's including Cannondale.

I know Pinarello's have had their issues as well, including the rumor that the frames IG ride in the world tour are not even made by Pinarello due to quality issues. One of the Cat 1 guys in the next county over who was racing a Pinarello F12 just swapped it for a Cannondale SS Evo 4 - I haven't talked to him since he made the switch but I keep seeing photo's of it on Strava. I'll have to ask him his opinions the next time I run into him.

I'm sure part of the support comes from the local shops. My local shop sells Cannondale and Scott and are known to really take care of their customers - I know a few people that have broken cranks. There's no local Specialized, Pinarello, or Colnago dealer within 150 miles or so. We do have a Cervelo dealer in town, and one of my best friends has three, but the local dealer also sells Giant which seems to be what they sell more of.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

spartan wrote:

cheers

OUGrad05 wrote:
spartan wrote:

Dalton wrote:
Are you a troll?

My C'Dale hardtail creaks something awful so I feel your pain on that. Third shop I took it to finally fixed it.

Edit: Brand perception I think you about nailed it. I was talking about actual quality. Pinarello is not so great. They tend to have a lot of issues in my experience. Sworks is great, Cervelo's high end stuff seems to be amazing, pretty rare around here though so sample set is pretty small.

No I don't work in the bike business.

RDY

by RDY

Karvalo wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:56 pm
RDY wrote:
req110 wrote:
Why almost certainly?
AFAIK the vast majority of their carbon frames have been made in PRC for many years (because cheaper), and 'finished' in ROC (because it avoids EU & US tariffs on PRC stuff).

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:30 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:56 pm
RDY wrote:
req110 wrote:
Why almost certainly?
AFAIK the vast majority of their carbon frames have been made in PRC for many years (because cheaper), and 'finished' in ROC (because it avoids EU & US tariffs on PRC stuff).
Paint tech is more advanced in Taiwan. Fancy schmancy Sagan Collection paint schemes and the like can't be executed on an industrial scale as effectively in China.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Paint tech? Its just paint with flakes?

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:57 pm
spartan wrote:

cheers

OUGrad05 wrote:
spartan wrote:

Are you a troll?

I think all the brands that used pressfit bottom brackets have had issues with creaking to some degree except Giant - never heard of any issues there.
I will offer some anecdata... a buddy had a Giant and it creaked something rotten. They couldn't find anything "wrong" with it, but eventually did a frame swap, and the creaking went away
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

robbosmans wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:45 pm
Paint tech? Its just paint with flakes?
More automation and more skilled/experienced painters

S6ED

by S6ED

StevieB wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:01 am
pmprego wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:56 pm
I'm probably missing something here but... Is the conceal stem somewhat not round and follows the fork delta shape? Is the problem only related with the spacers? Are the spacers different if it is for the conceal stem vs a standard stem?
The internal ones that fill out the space created by the triangular steerer are the same for the Conceal as for any other standard stem. The external spacers you use to set stem height are different. The aero ones intended for the OEM stems provide a wider interface and give better support than standard round spacers. For an extreme example, imagine a non-integrated setup like in the first pic here with as many spacers as the one in the OEM pic (shared earlier in this thread). Just from playing with parts on my uncut steerer, I can tell you that would feel pretty flexy side to side. The delta steerer is a normal 28.6mm depth, but it's only 23.4mm wide, so it's just not going to be as laterally stiff as a round steerer.

Again all this is just from my first impressions on a yet to be ridden frameset (as well as ilprofessore's experience with the EXS Aerover setup) . It'll be interesting to see how various combo's work out (or not).
Nice bike! Can you use a normal stem with the delta steerer tube? Would a normal (round internal) stem clamp adequately on the delta profile of the steerer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com