Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

Does this mean the D shaped fork of the new Propel is a better solution than this?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Still strange they just didn’t went standard FSA ACR headset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:59 am
Strange why? No other major brand has apart from Bianchi AFAIK.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

FSA ACR is adopted by a lot of brands, would seem logical because cannondale has a good relationship with FSA

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 pm
FSA ACR is adopted by a lot of brands,
Like who out of the major players and not niche brands? Anyone on remotely the same scale as Cannondale?

StevieB

by StevieB

robbosmans wrote:
The various OEM's all have their own solutions as part of their product differentiation; no different from other design aspects of their bikes. The Delta steerer does let them retain 1 1/4 -1 1/8 steerer dimensions and the related slim headtube, while others like Giant & Cervelo have larger bearing sizes and a wider headtube. That's a difference that's easy to see in the showroom, whether it makes a real aero difference or not. With the vast majority of bikes being sold as complete units with integrated Conceal or Systembar stems that interface well with the wide aero spacers, I doubt most will have any issue. Stray from that setup and YMMV.

pmprego

by pmprego

StevieB wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:43 pm
robbosmans wrote:
The various OEM's all have their own solutions as part of their product differentiation; no different from other design aspects of their bikes. The Delta steerer does let them retain 1 1/4 -1 1/8 steerer dimensions and the related slim headtube, while others like Giant & Cervelo have larger bearing sizes and a wider headtube. That's a difference that's easy to see in the showroom, whether it makes a real aero difference or not. With the vast majority of bikes being sold as complete units with integrated Conceal or Systembar stems that interface well with the wide aero spacers, I doubt most will have any issue. Stray from that setup and YMMV.
I'm probably missing something here but... Is the conceal stem somewhat not round and follows the fork delta shape? Is the problem only related with the spacers? Are the spacers different if it is for the conceal stem vs a standard stem?

StevieB

by StevieB

pmprego wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:56 pm
I'm probably missing something here but... Is the conceal stem somewhat not round and follows the fork delta shape? Is the problem only related with the spacers? Are the spacers different if it is for the conceal stem vs a standard stem?
The internal ones that fill out the space created by the triangular steerer are the same for the Conceal as for any other standard stem. The external spacers you use to set stem height are different. The aero ones intended for the OEM stems provide a wider interface and give better support than standard round spacers. For an extreme example, imagine a non-integrated setup like in the first pic here with as many spacers as the one in the OEM pic (shared earlier in this thread). Just from playing with parts on my uncut steerer, I can tell you that would feel pretty flexy side to side. The delta steerer is a normal 28.6mm depth, but it's only 23.4mm wide, so it's just not going to be as laterally stiff as a round steerer.

Again all this is just from my first impressions on a yet to be ridden frameset (as well as ilprofessore's experience with the EXS Aerover setup) . It'll be interesting to see how various combo's work out (or not).
Attachments
Standard Stem Setup.jpg
Conceal Stem Bottom.jpg

StevieB

by StevieB

Deleted

TWraab

by TWraab

Built a 51 HiMod up a month ago to the day. 12 speed Ultegra aside from the DA crank. Been playing with a few setups through the month. Just waiting on the Momo bar but have been happy with the conceal and some cheap FSA energy bars for now. Clocked in at 7.28kg or 16.05lbs with some cadex ultra 50 wheels. 7.03kg or 15.5lbs with farsports 30mm. Then 7.12kg or 15.7lbs with farsports 45mm.
Should be able to dip down to 6.8 with the momo setup and light wheels but for now have been just running Hunt aluminum Aero Wides and nice thick tires. Considering a swap to the Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank to save a few hundred grams as well. But all in very happy with how it builds up.
725C4DCA-FDCF-4948-8BEC-1BE68C765CD8.jpeg
DA5CBD20-387D-4306-845C-8D02AD8F6B47.jpeg
On the road I've been really happy, coming from an Evo3 it's not an insane change but certainly an improvement on an already solid bike. It's more versatile than ever and a joy to ride.

I'm not noticing any flex in the steerer so that flex might just be limited to the high stack setups. Before everything was preloaded and tightened the stem moved around way more than I expected but once loaded it feels rock solid with a low stack setup.
Attachments
D12C6681-6ADC-48CC-A4D8-75F2671DB5F5.jpeg
DE9FCF6A-004F-43C5-9CED-64841F67970E.jpeg

bmrk

by bmrk

TWraab wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am
Built a 51 HiMod up a month ago to the day. 12 speed Ultegra aside from the DA crank. Been playing with a few setups through the month. Just waiting on the Momo bar but have been happy with the conceal and some cheap FSA energy bars for now. Clocked in at 7.28kg or 16.05lbs with some cadex ultra 50 wheels. 7.03kg or 15.5lbs with farsports 30mm. Then 7.12kg or 15.7lbs with farsports 45mm.
Should be able to dip down to 6.8 with the momo setup and light wheels but for now have been just running Hunt aluminum Aero Wides and nice thick tires. Considering a swap to the Rotor Aldhu Carbon crank to save a few hundred grams as well. But all in very happy with how it builds up.

725C4DCA-FDCF-4948-8BEC-1BE68C765CD8.jpeg

DA5CBD20-387D-4306-845C-8D02AD8F6B47.jpeg

On the road I've been really happy, coming from an Evo3 it's not an insane change but certainly an improvement on an already solid bike. It's more versatile than ever and a joy to ride.

I'm not noticing any flex in the steerer so that flex might just be limited to the high stack setups. Before everything was preloaded and tightened the stem moved around way more than I expected but once loaded it feels rock solid with a low stack setup.
Which is size is the frame? Which cassette is that?

Thanks!
Last edited by bmrk on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Karvalo wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Like who out of the major players and not niche brands? Anyone on remotely the same scale as Cannondale?
Merida, BH, Bianchi, DeRosa, and many more

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:45 am
Karvalo wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
So just Merida. Every other brand on remotely the same scale as Cannondale (and plenty who are smaller) designs their own system. So what's strange about Cannondale doing it too?

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:08 am
robbosmans wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:45 am
Karvalo wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
So just Merida. Every other brand on remotely the same scale as Cannondale (and plenty who are smaller) designs their own system. So what's strange about Cannondale doing it too?
You are relentless on this subject............

Nothing "strange" about a bike brand manufacturing their own stuff.
Just highly annoying.
Cannondale is in the business of making bikes.
FSA is in the business of making stems, bars, wheels etc.

If Cannondale adopted FSA, I would not be stuck with a 100mm stem at the moment (Months before Cannondale will get stock of their new stem to service my request) and I could have walked to my local bike shop and buy an FSA longer stem. Something they would have had on the shelf.

Practically, in my case, it would been better.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Does evo 4 come with any kind of chainstay protector or a built-in protector?