Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otnemem

by otnemem

wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:41 pm
otnemem wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:45 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:47 pm
Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
That was the major reason for not getting it. The cockpit looked horrendous and was porky. Just fitting other bars looked so off
Was there a point to the Leichtbau other than its paint being stripped?
On the pictures here it is black painted so not stripped and around 90gr lighter compared to the hi mod
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/canno ... 295037?amp
It's only partially painted. It's similar to what Canyon, Specialized and others do for their light paint/coat black framesets, this one has the design at the front. I suspect it's light black primer coat with the necessary 2K matte/satin clearcoat. In many cases you end up seeing some of the raw carbon under the right light.

There are several examples here on the forum of people who stripped/repainted their Evo Hi-Mods. Alex, the dude who went with racing green (so a full fledged paint job with primer, paints with effect and high gloss clear coat all done by FAT Creations) still saved 40g.
Peeza21 saved 103g stripping the paint on the frame then added 21g with clearcoat/decals. Total saving of 82g.

Once the maths are done, only leaves a margin of something ridiculous like ±10g for all the improvements.

That said, I absolutely understand if people want to have a special edition of something. Nothing wrong with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

otnemem wrote:
Fri Jan 02, 1970 11:27 pm
Eyeballing it, I'd say a regular Hi-mod Evo has much more weight to shed than a Leichtbau between primer, paint and topcoat layers. The examples we have of frames that were stripped seem to more or less confirm the weight savings.
Of course it does. But the fact remains that a Leichtbau is still painted. So a stripped Evo weighing the same as a painted Leichtbau means...?

Also, weight is not the only thing that can be affected by a different layup. (Plus of course the point of selling almost any bike is to make money so not exactly sure what you're getting at there.)

otnemem

by otnemem

Means nothing since the difference is within margin of frame-to-frame variability.

Question here is from a buyer's point of view. Other than weight, even Cannondale is parsimonious in its claims. But you seem to answer every question with either more questions or comments that do not answer anything. So what's your point in engaging in the discussion at all? Being a contrarian? I'll leave you to it, whatever it is.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

otnemem wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
otnemem wrote:
wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:47 pm
Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
That was the major reason for not getting it. The cockpit looked horrendous and was porky. Just fitting other bars looked so off
On the pictures here it is black painted so not stripped and around 90gr lighter compared to the hi mod
It's only partially painted. It's similar to what Canyon, Specialized and others do for their light paint/coat black framesets, this one has the design at the front. I suspect it's light black primer coat with the necessary 2K matte/satin clearcoat. In many cases you end up seeing some of the raw carbon under the right light.

There are several examples here on the forum of people who stripped/repainted their Evo Hi-Mods. Alex, the dude who went with racing green (so a full fledged paint job with primer, paints with effect and high gloss clear coat all done by FAT Creations) still saved 40g.
Peeza21 saved 103g stripping the paint on the frame then added 21g with clearcoat/decals. Total saving of 82g.

Once the maths are done, only leaves a margin of something ridiculous like ±10g for all the improvements.

That said, I absolutely understand if people want to have a special edition of something. Nothing wrong with it.
I don't really mind but lots of people here do things to save 10gr so I would say this counts too 😂 whatever the cost. Buy the leichtbau strip it and save another 90gr with some luck.
If you shell out 300-400 euro for a darimo seatpost that to save 50gr etc ...
For me it's more that I liked the looks and also that is a bit lighter. Colnago asks more for its frames and the new colors look shit 😂
But I think on the current gen there are other places to save more weight (porky bar) but the issue is that I find all solutions (100%) on this older frame plain ugly simply due to the spacer setup and headtube construct.
For me it comes down to a balance in weight, aesthetics and simply a good bike with not too many issues 😂😂😂

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

wickedstealthy wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:31 am
otnemem wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
otnemem wrote:

All true and if they don't provide a nice colorscheme given that their frames are typically cheaper then say Colnago I would consider a paintjob.
But also you can still gamble and buy a leichtbau strip it an gain 90gr in the process if they are not lying 😂
For me it was more that I simply like the looks of it and gain maybe 90gr in the process nothing more nothing less

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not much to see here, but another photo of the new bike.
Attachments
triangle-steerer.png

Karvalo

by Karvalo

otnemem wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:14 pm
Means nothing since the difference is within margin of frame-to-frame variability.

Question here is from a buyer's point of view. Other than weight, even Cannondale is parsimonious in its claims. But you seem to answer every question with either more questions or comments that do not answer anything. So what's your point in engaging in the discussion at all? Being a contrarian? I'll leave you to it, whatever it is.
My point is that you're wrong. My very first comment was a direct answer to you saying the Leichtbau was a stripped Evo. If you then just keep repeating the same thing I'm going to keep saying you're wrong. That's not being a contrarian, that's disagreeing about one thing.

Stueys

by Stueys

An LBS told me back in September that we should be expecting this to drop in Jan at some point. That was a while back so things may have changed, etc, etc. Looks lovely though, and would appear to fix my minor complaints with the current Evo.

TomSte

by TomSte

Is that a regular Vision Metron bar-stem-unit?
Seems to be combined with a matching spacer.
Will Cannondale provide an own solution or use existing material from Vision/FSA?
Attachments
33BF3B6E-3317-43D7-833A-28934A9D8106.jpeg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I would assume they use the fsa acr standard, but its cannondale so we’ll see. Now fsa only needs to make a nice looking integrated bar and stem combo

JaimeC

by JaimeC

If Cannondale could go on and officially release this, it'd be great.
Attachments
2B81BDFD-4D8C-434A-89AF-2C521817D0EA.jpeg
04DDDACE-D47A-4823-B06E-0DE4CC822541.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 am
nunokas wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Delta shaped steer probably :roll:
I've seen plenty of D shaped steerers but never a Delta shaped one.

Now you have.

They've been testing that arrangement on Clara Honsinger's SSE CX/SE and probably other pro bikes.
Attachments
313646097_166126849398388_2700465939409462652_n.jpg

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Is this still PF30? An early leaker claimed it would switch to BSA.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:12 am
Is this still PF30? An early leaker claimed it would switch to BSA.

BSA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com