Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otnemem

by otnemem

tarmackev wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:55 pm
I bet they get rid of the System Six and go with just this. A slightly more aero Supersix to cover both.
I'm gonna go ahead and do my best Damon Rinard impression here: "No."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

There'll be a new Systemsix. It's still one of the most aerodynamic bikes out there so I think Cannondale will do a similar thing to Giant with the Propel and try and lighten the thing whilst maintaining it's aerodynamic effectiveness.

ry5n

by ry5n

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:13 pm
I think Cannondale will do a similar thing to Giant with the Propel and try and lighten [it]
Maybe... but the thing with the Propel is we haven't seen what Giant plans to do with the TCR. Given how good an all-rounder the new Propel is, it's tempting to think the TCR needs to move in the direction of the Aethos.

Based on the photos, I don't think that's where Cannondale is going with the Evo 4. Other than the fork, I'd be surprised if the new frameset is much lighter than the Evo 3. I expect the bulk of any weight savings will come from components (*cough cockpit cough*).

I thought the biggest knock against the SystemSix was comfort... could they focus on that with the SystemSix rather than weight?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yeah, I'd like that.
SuperSix: Very slim frontal area but moderately deep tubes. Good blend of light and aero. Slim tube also flex well, so comfort isn't a problem.
SystemSix: THICC aerofoil shape tubes. Since it can't match SuperSix weight anyway, then lets add more weight to it to make it not less comfortable than SuperSix.

BTW: I was almost convinced at one point that, for a road bike, you can get all the comfort available from the tire alone. Frame can be super stiff but if you put soft tire on, it'll be plush.
But ,nope, looking at all other vehicle forms (including mtb), I then realize that's not the best approach. Add comfort from the frame and fork will stop the tire from growing huge. 10mm flex from the frame isn't hard to obtain. 10mm flex from the tire require at least 10mm increase in tire size...

Karvalo

by Karvalo

otnemem wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:45 pm
Was there a point to the Leichtbau other than its paint being stripped?
That was never the point of the Leichtbau.

RustyCage

by RustyCage

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:15 pm
Yeah, I'd like that.
SuperSix: Very slim frontal area but moderately deep tubes. Good blend of light and aero. Slim tube also flex well, so comfort isn't a problem.
SystemSix: THICC aerofoil shape tubes. Since it can't match SuperSix weight anyway, then lets add more weight to it to make it not less comfortable than SuperSix.

BTW: I was almost convinced at one point that, for a road bike, you can get all the comfort available from the tire alone. Frame can be super stiff but if you put soft tire on, it'll be plush.
But ,nope, looking at all other vehicle forms (including mtb), I then realize that's not the best approach. Add comfort from the frame and fork will stop the tire from growing huge. 10mm flex from the frame isn't hard to obtain. 10mm flex from the tire require at least 10mm increase in tire size...
Agreed. My reading of Trek's white paper on shock adsorption of the (old) Madone with the adjuster raised my eyebrows. It seems that tuning a frames flexibility to the rider is critical though. With tire pressure one can quite easily adjust for preference. At the end of the day, though, I believe in your assessment!

otnemem

by otnemem

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:07 am
otnemem wrote:
That was never the point of the Leichtbau.
What then? Making money?
Can't you achieve pretty much the same weight saving by doing a matte clear coat yourself?
Granted, it doesn't come with the speed axles or the limited number, but if one is OK without those, I fail to see what you're missing. I collect vinyl and have a few ridiculous limited editions, so I'm definitely not criticizing.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

otnemem wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:39 am
What then? Making money?
Can't you achieve pretty much the same weight saving by doing a matte clear coat yourself?
Granted, it doesn't come with the speed axles or the limited number, but if one is OK without those, I fail to see what you're missing. I collect vinyl and have a few ridiculous limited editions, so I'm definitely not criticizing.
I think you're missing that you could do that to a Leichtbau too and have it even lighter. Just because one guy here said the Leichtbau was just an Evo without paint and a bunch of other guys took it as gospel doesn't make it true.

otnemem

by otnemem

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:28 am
otnemem wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:39 am
What then? Making money?
I think you're missing that you could do that to a Leichtbau too and have it even lighter. Just because one guy here said the Leichtbau was just an Evo without paint and a bunch of other guys took it as gospel doesn't make it true.
Eyeballing it, I'd say a regular Hi-mod Evo has much more weight to shed than a Leichtbau between primer, paint and topcoat layers. The examples we have of frames that were stripped seem to more or less confirm the weight savings.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

For those interested in a rather clear view of the new rig. Amador, new hire, always around the Vuelta CR putting some miles in.

Just ride ..

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I really like what i see. Not good though, as it will probably take a while before it'll be available and i need a new bike now :/

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

otnemem wrote:
wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:47 pm
Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
That was the major reason for not getting it. The cockpit looked horrendous and was porky. Just fitting other bars looked so off
Maybe I misread but I thought that the frame was a tad lighter also.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

otnemem wrote:
wickedstealthy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:47 pm
Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
That was the major reason for not getting it. The cockpit looked horrendous and was porky. Just fitting other bars looked so off
On the pictures here it is black painted so not stripped and around 90gr lighter compared to the hi mod
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/canno ... 295037?amp

cerro

by cerro

C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:55 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
They would need to bring me more than just a cockpit, the Evo3 road behaviour is just not to the level I would expect compared to the Tarmac for example (not to mention the sl6 or the evo2). Still cross fingers, the evo2 was a significant step change compared to the evo1 and from bad pictures, you couldn’t see much differences too.
This is interesting as I was a SuperSIX Evo3 before I switched to Tarmac SL7 and now back on SuperSIX Evo3 and really liking it. What don't you like with the Evo3 handling? Fun as a Specialized Æthos but faster :)

C36

by C36

cerro wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:55 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:Well if this is the new supersix without that ugly duck cockpit I'm in. Bring on some leichtbau version and I'm sure I will get it.
They would need to bring me more than just a cockpit, the Evo3 road behaviour is just not to the level I would expect compared to the Tarmac for example (not to mention the sl6 or the evo2). Still cross fingers, the evo2 was a significant step change compared to the evo1 and from bad pictures, you couldn’t see much differences too.
This is interesting as I was a SuperSIX Evo3 before I switched to Tarmac SL7 and now back on SuperSIX Evo3 and really liking it. What don't you like with the Evo3 handling? Fun as a Specialized Æthos but faster :)
The frame is not really responsive, some people would say « crispy », the way it responds to accelerations and changes of rhythm is not as good as other frames.
Little story to illustrate: I had a first evo2hm that was being replaced under warranty Jan 21, the lbs had a client who was desperate to get one and offered me to take my replacement evo2 frame and offered a really good deal on an evo3hm. I test rode his own evo3hm and after back to back rides… I had to turn down the offer and stayed with my evo2. It’s marginally faster from aero standpoint but just in my book of liking responsive bikes, it’s quite behind.

Now back to your feedback, it could be from different equipment or just that we like different bikes behaviour (cause I didn’t like the aethos too, i felt it lack some stiffness, pleasant to train on but not when thing heat up even on group rides).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com