Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:17 pm
I wanted a Dura-Ace bike, but not a top of the line frame. I got the Evo 4, rode it as purchased, and upgraded things over time. Depending on what wheels you use, that 120g is nothing. I used the money saved to purchase the latest Dura-Ace groupset, wheels, etc.

Also, you can save 250g by not riding with your iPhone.

IMG_9473.jpeg
+1. You can pretty much build the Evo (non-HM) frame to 6.8kg pretty easily from pandapodium parts.
I actually did build my EVO 3 with dura ace + pretty light parts just to see. Nowhere near optimized. Just used decent lightweight stuff I had. 7.09kg
That's with a Dura ace crankset. Swap that to a cybrei type thing and you're almost there.

As a Lab71 owner (as well), I salute you. Very smart way to go about it.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Good points all around. I think I’m leaning towards the cheaper build now. I have a set of CRW 4045s so already at a good starting point wheel wise. And I could add some other weight weenie parts with the money saved like a super light crankset. I usually build up from the framesets anyways since the full builds always come with finishing kit that doesn’t fit me. Straight away I’d swap the bars (44->38), cranks (175->170), saddle, stem (110->120), and wheels. So with the $4500 or so saved and needing to swap out those parts anyways, I could probably build up a very light bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

johnpuga1982 wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:06 pm
So my question is, how much weight difference am I looking at and is that worth it? I remember reading it's around 120g difference.
IMG_5828.png
BikeTyson wrote:
What would you guys do?
I wanted a Dura-Ace bike, but not a top of the line frame. I got the Evo 4, rode it as purchased, and upgraded things over time. Depending on what wheels you use, that 120g is nothing. I used the money saved to purchase the latest Dura-Ace groupset, wheels, etc.

IMG_9473.jpeg
Good looking build. And lol about the phone. I think morning #2 would get me there too.

gurk700

by gurk700

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:15 pm
johnpuga1982 wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
So my question is, how much weight difference am I looking at and is that worth it? I remember reading it's around 120g difference.
IMG_5828.png
BikeTyson wrote:
What would you guys do?

IMG_9473.jpeg
Good looking build. And lol about the phone. I think morning #2 would get me there too.
btw to answer the question about weight difference too.
lab71 vs evo3 (in white) was indeed about 250 grams. I measured with thru axles, seatposts etc but everything extra on there was identical on each frame.
I know that's more than expected but white is HEAVY vs minimal paint lab71. So take that with a grain of salt. Personally I'd still recommend Evo3 build for someone who's not looking to spend HM or Lab71 kinda money. It'll still end up a light, amazing bike.

charirider

by charirider

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:33 pm
johnpuga1982 wrote:

IMG_9473.jpeg
+1. You can pretty much build the Evo (non-HM) frame to 6.8kg pretty easily from pandapodium parts.
I actually did build my EVO 3 with dura ace + pretty light parts just to see. Nowhere near optimized. Just used decent lightweight stuff I had. 7.09kg
That's with a Dura ace crankset. Swap that to a cybrei type thing and you're almost there.

With chinese parts? No, thanks. *** edited. Keep it polite please***
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

gurk700

by gurk700

charirider wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:20 am
gurk700 wrote:
johnpuga1982 wrote:

IMG_9473.jpeg

With chinese parts? No, thanks)
1 - Nobody is talking to you.
2 - If you don't know how good "chinese crap" is nowadays you're delusional, uninformed or ignorant.
3 - If you think Cannondale or any other big brand is made in a factory that's some secret special sauce different than all the other chinese parts, then I got nothing else to tell you. Live in denial. LOL.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:37 am
charirider wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:20 am
gurk700 wrote:
johnpuga1982 wrote:

IMG_9473.jpeg

With chinese parts? No, thanks)
1 - Nobody is talking to you.
2 - If you don't know how good "chinese crap" is nowadays you're delusional, uninformed or ignorant.
3 - If you think Cannondale or any other big brand is made in a factory that's some secret special sauce different than all the other chinese parts, then I got nothing else to tell you. Live in denial. LOL.
:thumbup:

Couldn't be happier with my CRW wheels. Some of the best wheels I've ridden.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Do the lower spec builds (without Di2) come with the Di2 battery mount parts?

tyoac

by tyoac

Mine did not but I built it up without it in the first place which was fine but to get the battery out again it's a lot more convenient with the "rope" around it. Ordered it later on, it was 10€ or so :)

hannawald

by hannawald

Anybody uses 33mm CX tires on Supersix and rides it like dual purpose bike road/light gravel?
I think Lachlan Morton did that with previous generation before he moved to Supersix SE version...
Couple of gravel championships were won on race bikes so I guess for forest paths without bigger stones 33mm should be ok?

rockb

by rockb

johnpuga1982 wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
I do think there would be a market for a head unit with camera and phone function. All I need my phone for is to take pictures for Strava, and call my someone if I'm getting late, or in case of emergency. You hear me, Garmin?

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

charirider wrote:
Lina wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:52 pm
charirider wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:40 pm
Lol, nothing changed, and actually became worse that 1/2gen. I'll pass this gen also. Or come to Specialized.
The 4th generation is a massive improvement over the 3rd generation. And as a race bike they both blow 1/2 gen out of the park.
Better than 3rd gen, maybe yes... but 1/2 which are modern classic race bikes? Hmm...

- Triangle fork steerer is a gimmick
- Same creaking issues with seatpost reported
- Brake caliper mounts are not in plain issues reported
- Heck, even no rim brake option

I don't feel my SS Evo 2 is slow uphill, neither do British hillclimb champion:)
And I DO like pf30 with SiSl crankset. Lighter than almost anything, stiff, and I experienced no creaking whatsoever with Wacos Brake Protector grease.

Now educate me how 4th gen is more superior to 2gen. Maybe aerodynamically, and that's it.
Handling, stiffness? I don't think so.
New Evos are stiffer

I have a 2015 Evo hi mod it's fsst on climbs, but hate that i can fit maximum 25mm tires

Had a 2023 Evo, rode amazing all around (sold it)

I still have the old evo (because classic) but will get the new gen Evo once they get nicer paint jobs

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

GrassQ

by GrassQ

hannawald wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:24 am
Anybody uses 33mm CX tires on Supersix and rides it like dual purpose bike road/light gravel?
I think Lachlan Morton did that with previous generation before he moved to Supersix SE version...
Couple of gravel championships were won on race bikes so I guess for forest paths without bigger stones 33mm should be ok?
I ride light gravel with my supersix. Tyres are Vittoria N.ext 34 mm, which are 37 mm width in my iv 25 mm rims. Tyre clearance are in tightest at seatstays and non drive chainstay 3 mm.
Althouhg its not a gravel (or cx) bike, it works well in my usage, about 10-15 % gravel and rest is various condition asphalt. Maybe only consider is that bike is astm 1 conditon bike (road usage), and maybe more fragile than "normal weight" road bikes

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

rockb wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:06 am
johnpuga1982 wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
I do think there would be a market for a head unit with camera and phone function. All I need my phone for is to take pictures for Strava, and call my someone if I'm getting late, or in case of emergency. You hear me, Garmin?
Can't be bothered with that. I would like to see a horn built in. It would be very easy to implement. And you don't have to fit a bell.

ridenfish39

by ridenfish39

Anyone know of a lighter computer mount for thr Momo bars? And not one that costs 100 bucks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com