Colnago V4Rs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blutto

by blutto

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:59 pm
Hmmm . . . just doesn't feel very Colnago-y to me. I feel like Pinarello, Bianchi, and De Rosa have kept some of that Italian flair (or weirdness, depending on your POV), but this feels somehow like a Canyon with a Colnago decal.
...."like a Canyon" !?.....like a common Canyon, oooh that is a pretty low blow ain't it....

...so wondering, have you ridden both to flesh out your feelings, or is this merely a drive-by assessment based on a couple of photos...?....

Cheers

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

blutto wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:23 am
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Hmmm . . . just doesn't feel very Colnago-y to me. I feel like Pinarello, Bianchi, and De Rosa have kept some of that Italian flair (or weirdness, depending on your POV), but this feels somehow like a Canyon with a Colnago decal.
...."like a Canyon" !?.....like a common Canyon, oooh that is a pretty low blow ain't it....

...so wondering, have you ridden both to flesh out your feelings, or is this merely a drive-by assessment based on a couple of photos...?....

Cheers
Why the hate? He is judging looks , not ride quality. I am an owner of C64 with SR groupset and call me nostalgic, but this also looks like a disappointment to me. Its a generic frame. C68 kind a grown on me and im considering upgrade when new campy groupset arrives, but V4rs is just... nah

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IvanZg

by IvanZg

666pounder wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:34 pm
Dont know why but pogacar seems to be riding his v4rs with enve stem and handlebars according to his Instagram post.. but maybe its just a temprary

Screenshot_2022-12-22-20-29-43-85_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
Probably cause Colnago does not have long enough cockpit with bars narrow enough, also that integrated stem looks to be with very low negative angle comapred to Enve one (-12/-17deg). Enve offers bar width of 350mm on the tops

IvanZg

by IvanZg

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:41 am
A not so possitive review makes me think, nah, this doesn't sound good.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/col ... rs-review/
If they have only gone with 60-63mm fork trail it would have been the best Colango ever made in my eyes. For now I'll wait for next generation to see if they "rectify" this issue in size 485.

blutto

by blutto

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:33 am
blutto wrote:
CyclingGiraffe wrote:

Cheers
Why the hate? He is judging looks , not ride quality. I am an owner of C64 with SR groupset and call me nostalgic, but this also looks like a disappointment to me. Its a generic frame. C68 kind a grown on me and im considering upgrade when new campy groupset arrives, but V4rs is just... nah
...hate!?.....nahhhh.....just a healthy dollop of sarcasm followed by a pail of cold water....

....question ?.....how did you know "He is judging looks " ?....you guys buds or is this the product of some remote sensing juju ?...

..." but this also looks like a disappointment to me"....btwn your thing with looks and his with feeling it sounds like you guys are unhappy about a dress or something and not just a bike frame....like did you buy it to impress your friends or enjoy the ride...?....

....hoping we soon get several points of feedback data from people who have actually ridden the thing....

Cheers

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

blutto wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:29 pm
TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:33 am
blutto wrote:
CyclingGiraffe wrote:

Cheers
...hate!?.....nahhhh.....just a healthy dollop of sarcasm followed by a pail of cold water....

....question ?.....how did you know "He is judging looks " ?....you guys buds or is this the product of some remote sensing juju ?...

..." but this also looks like a disappointment to me"....btwn your thing with looks and his with feeling it sounds like you guys are unhappy about a dress or something and not just a bike frame....like did you buy it to impress your friends or enjoy the ride...?....

....hoping we soon get several points of feedback data from people who have actually ridden the thing....

Cheers
I've not ridden either; just commenting on the looks.

I don't know why you seem so offended by this. At this price point, people are definitely buying based on looks. In fact, I would say that most consumers pay the big price premium for a Colnago over, say, a Canyon based on looks and brand history (i.e., the connection to Ernesto, Merckx, etc.).

Cheers, indeed!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Actually I bought my Colnago based on geometry and this V4 is now not the geometry I care for so its off my radar. I have the V2 and if I upgraded it would be the V3 but outside of that I would be looking at another frameset of another make for sure.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

blutto

by blutto

" At this price point, people are definitely buying based on looks."

....so what you are saying is people are just buying the wheeled equivalent of an expensive designer dress or a handbag....and I'm sure that is true in a lot of cases , I mean poseurs gotta pose eh...

"In fact, I would say that most consumers pay the big price premium for a Colnago over, say, a Canyon based on looks and brand history?"

....what's funny here is that you seem to be overlooking something, its function as the key part of a bicycle....Colnago got to the position it had not because of nice paint jobs but because they provided great performance and were at key times great innovators ( Merckx wasn't drawn to the bling he was there because he was certain Ernesto would help him win, and for The Cannibal winning was not just everything it was the only thing ) ...its something I found out when I bought my first Colnago....so here I was having owned a lot of bikes, several with frames custom built by builders of renown, and having the seemingly good sense to stay away from something that was just a shiny bauble that was the preferred frame of moneyed poseurs, to never consider a Colnago...in fact I often laughed at the whole Colnago clown cult ...well until, against my better judgement, I bought one....well damn, it proved to be the best frame I had ever raced or just plain ridden....so I bought a couple more and they were better, and then they kinda lost the thread but I kept coming back to each new model release hoping they may again had found what I prized as a great performance package...and was hoping to get some real information about on the road performance in this thread but got some musings about looks and feelings and some odd comments about geometry ( btw don't think its functionally off much but it has had to be tweaked to accomodate some changes in riding styles such as fat tires and changing cleat placement... )...

Read, some people "pay the big price premium for a Colnago over, say, a Canyon based based on" the idea it may actually perform better and not just look better in a photograph or at the cafe...

Cheers

warthog101

by warthog101

Dunno. They may have performed better in the days of handmade steel frames.
High end carbon frames share little in common with those old goers though.
Much of the expertise in carbon manufacturing is in Asia now.

If it rides nice a makes you happy buy it.
I dont expect it to be a step up, in terms of manufacturing expertise, from a high end carbon frame from any number of manufacturers

blutto

by blutto

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:22 pm
Dunno. They may have performed better in the days of handmade steel frames.
High end carbon frames share little in common with those old goers though.
Much of the expertise in carbon manufacturing is in Asia now.

If it rides nice a makes you happy buy it.
I dont expect it to be a step up, in terms of manufacturing expertise, from a high end carbon frame from any number of manufacturers
Maybe I didn't make myself entirely clear....the Colnagos I do still own, and really like, are all carbon based lifeforms....and a big part of my initial amazement came from the fact that I had enjoyed some of the best steel had to offer and that first Colnago just smoked those paragons of the steel era ....and as a respected reviewer of the day noted, this was the bike the pros most wanted to keep after they left the business ( that review btw was the big impetus to start thinking about getting that first Colnago )....

That being said my wee niggle here is about forgetting about what the bike is for....read, as you correctly point out, riding it, and may I add, riding it hard, and not wearing it around your neck like a big fat gold chain, and being afraid to scratch it...

Cheers

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not that this really belongs to this thread, so bare level with me.
But does anyone know what the C68 Ti lug in custom/ made to measure cost?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Campyforever

by Campyforever

Hambini's review, while certainly entertaining and somewhat informative, is nearly completely based upon his assumption that Colango has completely failed to make an aero masterpiece. Last time I checked, I could not find any such claims.
Longer term high mileage reviews are needed. Well that and a decent graphic designer...

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

blutto wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:29 am
" At this price point, people are definitely buying based on looks."

....so what you are saying is people are just buying the wheeled equivalent of an expensive designer dress or a handbag....and I'm sure that is true in a lot of cases , I mean poseurs gotta pose eh...

"In fact, I would say that most consumers pay the big price premium for a Colnago over, say, a Canyon based on looks and brand history?"

....what's funny here is that you seem to be overlooking something, its function as the key part of a bicycle....Colnago got to the position it had not because of nice paint jobs but because they provided great performance and were at key times great innovators ( Merckx wasn't drawn to the bling he was there because he was certain Ernesto would help him win, and for The Cannibal winning was not just everything it was the only thing ) ...its something I found out when I bought my first Colnago....so here I was having owned a lot of bikes, several with frames custom built by builders of renown, and having the seemingly good sense to stay away from something that was just a shiny bauble that was the preferred frame of moneyed poseurs, to never consider a Colnago...in fact I often laughed at the whole Colnago clown cult ...well until, against my better judgement, I bought one....well damn, it proved to be the best frame I had ever raced or just plain ridden....so I bought a couple more and they were better, and then they kinda lost the thread but I kept coming back to each new model release hoping they may again had found what I prized as a great performance package...and was hoping to get some real information about on the road performance in this thread but got some musings about looks and feelings and some odd comments about geometry ( btw don't think its functionally off much but it has had to be tweaked to accomodate some changes in riding styles such as fat tires and changing cleat placement... )...

Read, some people "pay the big price premium for a Colnago over, say, a Canyon based based on" the idea it may actually perform better and not just look better in a photograph or at the cafe...

Cheers
You can tell yourself otherwise, but I'm pretty sure that current Colnago itself sees itself as a "designer" bike. Their NFT offering pretty much confirms it. They're very good, don't get me wrong, but you're certainly paying a premium for the brand name on the downtube. And there's nothing wrong with that, except that I would expect a little more than that for the price they're charging. I'm sure MVDP could win De Ronde on this new Colnago just as well as on his Canyon.

I'm sorry that you find this thread so disappointing. It's just a bike forum, where people are talking about bikes.

Cheers!

vinc

by vinc

Understood. Only thing I really don’t get is why change the geometrics of the frameset because that makes it a Colnago or not?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I'd argue that the classic geo IS what made Colnago...otherwise, it's just a Giant.

Which is funny bc it is "just a Giant" and, arguably, not as good...but not arguably: significantly more expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com