Eddy Merckx EMX 525 upgrade to Di2 R8050

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rubertnl

by rubertnl

Hi dear Weight weenies,

I am upgrading my 2015 Eddy Merckx EMX 525 (Mechinical version) from Ultegra 6800 mechenical to Ultegra R8050 Di2.

So to be clear there are 2 versions:
1) Di2 only frameset. With no holes in the headset for mechenical shifting and pre installed mounting in the downtube, accasible from bracket.
2) Mechenical frameset. With holes in the headset for mechenical shofting and no pre installed mounting in the downtube.

I own the 2e version. The mechenical version.

I have 2 problems so far:

1) How do i mount the battery (in my case probeply the BT-DN110-A)?
2) Where can i get the rubber grommets to fill the holes for the mechinical shifting cables in the headset?

I tried Googleling (finding nothing), online maneuals (wich there arnt) and contacting Eddy Merckx (no reply so far). Can't find any documentation on how to mount the battery and where i can get spareparts for the frameset.

Have you guys any experiance with this frameset and Di2/EPS. Or know someone that could tell me. Please i would love to know.

See ya :wink: ,

Ruben

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I've had success doing it with bubble wrap around the battery and pushing into the bottom of the post and creating hole blanks using sugru, it just takes a little bit of manipulation. If using the bubble wrap method with the battery make sure you put a zip tie or similar securely around the battery so you can remove it if necessary

rubertnl

by rubertnl

Thanks for the tip, i will try that solution. Which grommit did you use for the front derailleur and did you the hole in the middle of the chainstay or the back of the chainstay for the rear derailleur?

rubertnl

by rubertnl

Dear Weight weenies,

Finaly a update on my 2013 Eddy Merckx EMX 525 R8050 Ultegra Di2 build.

Basicly this we be a photo dump part 1, so ask questions if you want to or are in the same situation.
Attachments
1. Build started like this, emx 525 | ultegra 6800 | edco wheels with DT 240s hubs etc.
1. Build started like this, emx 525 | ultegra 6800 | edco wheels with DT 240s hubs etc.
2. Bought new wheels for the new build | Zipp 404 Firecrest 2021 with ZR1 hubs
2. Bought new wheels for the new build | Zipp 404 Firecrest 2021 with ZR1 hubs
3. Bought all the R8050 Di2 parts i could find second hand and new
3. Bought all the R8050 Di2 parts i could find second hand and new
4. disassembly and cleaning
4. disassembly and cleaning
5. Putting in the newly bought Di2 battery, wrapped foam around with tyrap to be able to pull it out. This was a comment from 'Tifosiphil' cheers mate!
5. Putting in the newly bought Di2 battery, wrapped foam around with tyrap to be able to pull it out. This was a comment from 'Tifosiphil' cheers mate!
6. Did the same with the B-junction
6. Did the same with the B-junction
7. Routed the rear derailleur cable with Shimano grommet.
7. Routed the rear derailleur cable with Shimano grommet.
8. Routed the front derailleur cable with Shimano grommet.
8. Routed the front derailleur cable with Shimano grommet.
9. Mounted the front and rear mechs. Also mounted my old 6800 brakes , because there lighter then the R8000 brakes ;).
9. Mounted the front and rear mechs. Also mounted my old 6800 brakes , because there lighter then the R8000 brakes ;).
10. Installed the bars, stem shifters and cables. 3T Team II 120mm -17 stem | Deda Superzero 42cm :( bars, upgrading to smaller bars soon.
10. Installed the bars, stem shifters and cables. 3T Team II 120mm -17 stem | Deda Superzero 42cm :( bars, upgrading to smaller bars soon.

rubertnl

by rubertnl

Part 2:

What dit the build cost me?

Mind you i live in the Netherlands b.t.w. and bought all components almost new, never used or new.

About €1000 for the groupset and €700 for the wheels. A total of about €2000 after miscellaneous parts and a rear wheel respoke after all the spokes kept snapping. No im not to heavy, i way around 74 kg and 182cm tall.

I reused the following parts: frameset, saddle, bars, stem, brakes and SRM crank with Dura Ace rings.

Weight is approx: 7,8kg, not to bad because the frame weighs 1,3kg :0
Attachments
11: Installed the cranks (6800 for now), chain and wired the bike up.
11: Installed the cranks (6800 for now), chain and wired the bike up.
12. Mounted the wheels with some Vittoria Corsa Controls and put them in the bike.
12. Mounted the wheels with some Vittoria Corsa Controls and put them in the bike.
13. Then it was time for the SRM 9000 cranks to go from my TT bike to the Merckx. Seen here with the 56-44 rings custom CNC previously used by Lotto Jumbo/Team Sky.
13. Then it was time for the SRM 9000 cranks to go from my TT bike to the Merckx. Seen here with the 56-44 rings custom CNC previously used by Lotto Jumbo/Team Sky.
14. Installed the SRM with Dure ace 9000 53-42 rings, finaly installed the bartape and cleaned up the wires in front.
14. Installed the SRM with Dure ace 9000 53-42 rings, finaly installed the bartape and cleaned up the wires in front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

Nicely done, still a cool looking bike