*NEW GEN* SRAM Force Groupset March 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

ArtV wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:53 pm
Rode another century today. Ready to be corrected again, but the newly designed Force/Rival FD still shifts better than the old Force FD......and it didn't require any adjustment at all.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
I have both and both shift great. Never had a chain drop with either one. The comment about adjustment makes no sense. All FDs have to be mounted and adjusted by someone to work properly. If it's not done properly, either one can shift poorly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

DaveS wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:15 pm
ArtV wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:53 pm
Rode another century today. Ready to be corrected again, but the newly designed Force/Rival FD still shifts better than the old Force FD......and it didn't require any adjustment at all.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
I have both and both shift great. Never had a chain drop with either one. The comment about adjustment makes no sense. All FDs have to be mounted and adjusted by someone to work properly. If it's not done properly, either one can shift poorly.
You really don't know what "no adjustment" means?

I installed it with the plastic piece on the chainring which put it into the correct position. I tightened it (it was immobile in the correct position because of the plastic piece) with one of the small anti-movement pieces installed. It then shifted perfectly right out of the box.....no adjustment to the position of the FD or the inboard/outboard screws was necessary.

DaveS

by DaveS

The plastic tool is not some miracle. Even with it in place it's common for the cage to rotate out of alignment. It certainly sets the height correctly, if you're use SRAM cranks, but the angular adjustment is not guaranteed. I've set up the AXS FDs at least a dozen times. Mine always rotate.

If it was always that simple, there wouldn't continue to be so many chain drop complaints.

ArtV

by ArtV

OK. You are right. It didn't go at all as I described. Thank you for correcting me.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS somehow has perfect experiences with SRAM front shifting even on mixed setups. This has obviously not been the case for the rest of us.

Matte86

by Matte86

TobinHatesYou wrote:DaveS somehow has perfect experiences with SRAM front shifting even on mixed setups. This has obviously not been the case for the rest of us.
Image this

Looking forward to try the newly revised force FD

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

Where are these people with chain dropping FDs? Do they only appear on internet forums? I've still to meet a Force AXS gen 1 owner in real life who's had a dropped chain issue. Road or off road, I've yet to hear a woeful tale from any of my circle of AXS owner riders…

MagicShite

by MagicShite

patchandscruff wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 am
Where are these people with chain dropping FDs? Do they only appear on internet forums? I've still to meet a Force AXS gen 1 owner in real life who's had a dropped chain issue. Road or off road, I've yet to hear a woeful tale from any of my circle of AXS owner riders…
there's a lot.

There's a dealer near my place that has won best sales of the year for AXS in our state and a lot of his customers have chain drops lol.

These people aren't online.

DaveS

by DaveS

patchandscruff wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 am
Try the SRAM AXS owners page on Facebook. There are plenty of complaints and people claiming that being off 1/16 of a turn on a limit screw is make or break. I probably have better luck because I've only used Campy 48/32 or GRX cranks. Everyone wants to blame the FD, but it's more likely a shifting ramp issue. All of my cranks have a 16-17T difference between chain rings, yet SRAM persists with no more than 13.

X5SAE

by X5SAE

I've never had a chain drop with my Force AXS 1st gen, but I had that rotating outward issue DaveS was describing. My DS crank had a mark from the cage touching it. I had to push against the derailleur when fixing it to its hanger to keep it from scratching my crank.

I got rid of the FD later on because I didn't like that feeling of the FD shifting - felt kind of restraining each time.
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

Just as aesthetics question. On the previous generation the front rings give an "unfinished" appearance to me when viewed from the non-drive side. Is this the same on the new generation?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheMalahat wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:24 pm
Just as aesthetics question. On the previous generation the front rings give an "unfinished" appearance to me when viewed from the non-drive side. Is this the same on the new generation?
The one piece rings look exactly like Red chainrings from behind... all black, heavily sculpted/machined.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have AXS RED, zero issues with a moving FD and or any hint of chaindrops.
Very easy set up, both talking FD and RD. I would say the new FD has improved with it's motorized "over-shooting" due to lack of correct word.
Easily explained, it does what Shimanos FD does. But it also uses the JAW design.
You can easily shift 10-26 using a 48 tooth chainring.
In the rear the RD is electronically limited to not shift into the 10t cog (using the small chainring).
I would say, riding rim brakes, this is what i consider the pinnacle of a rim brake design groupset.
Using my old beloved EE brakes ofcourse ;-)

I would also say the groupset is quite, no rasping at any gear.
I use Sram cassette and flatop chain original Sram crankset.
No mishmash Shimano yada yada blend of components.
I was a bit nervous the 10t would rasp and feel like crap. But i think it runs better than 50-11 using Etap.
Totally honest! If this groupset in any way was missing a beat, i would say it right away since it cost rather much.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FYI it seems like SRAM quietly bumped the MSRP of the the Force PM chainrings from US$410 to $600. If you were thinking about grabbing a pair at $410, now would be the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Are there any rumors of a new SRAM Red? I'm hoping for a 2x direct mount powermeter aero chainring.