*NEW GEN* SRAM Force Groupset March 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Personally and in theory, this design change would not matter to me at all. It would have needed to be angle of the shifters and reach of the hoods.
I run 1 gen Etap, i assume the AXS RED rim brake is almost same as what i have? If anything, perhaps it's more of a change from Etap to AXS?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

currentsea

by currentsea

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm
Personally and in theory, this design change would not matter to me at all. It would have needed to be angle of the shifters and reach of the hoods.
I run 1 gen Etap, i assume the AXS RED rim brake is almost same as what i have? If anything, perhaps it's more of a change from Etap to AXS?
This leaked picture of an as-yet unreleased SRAM shifter set has been doing the rounds recently. They looks to have a much increased length on them to allow for more reach/fingers under the hoods. They also appear to be sleeker and more refined. If I had to guess, these may be for the new Red coming in the summer.

DaveS

by DaveS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:38 am
mtwinste wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:53 pm

I'm running a 33t RD with a 10/36 cassette with no issues. RED AXS system

Ultimately the only difference between the 33t and 36t is the slightly longer b-knuckle on the 36t. Pilo makes a longer derailleur hanger for my Treks, which mimics that offset. A RoadLink would do the same.
A road link does not work and is not needed. I have two bikes with the 10-36 and 33T RD. Worst case a longer B screw might be needed, but try the B clearance at only 3mm first. Too much clearance can foul up the 10-11 shift.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
This leaked picture of an as-yet unreleased SRAM shifter set has been doing the rounds recently. They looks to have a much increased length on them to allow for more reach/fingers under the hoods. They also appear to be sleeker and more refined. If I had to guess, these may be for the new Red coming in the summer.

Yes, these look way longer than those i have!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gdelcast

by gdelcast

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm
currentsea wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

does someone know if there would be any update on red TT group? hopefully there are bigger chainrings options at least.

currentsea

by currentsea

gdelcast wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:54 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm
currentsea wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

does someone know if there would be any update on red TT group? hopefully there are bigger chainrings options at least.
Are you referring to the aero 1x chainring? As far as I know, there isn't a TT specific Red groupset apart from the chainring and the blips/blip box.

If so, you'll have to wait and see like the rest of us to see what SRAM decide to do with the Red crank. The fact they've given the current Red crank to Force at a significant discount implies to me that they are going to have a radically different crank for the new gen. Perhaps just wishful thinking! The current Red crank is to me the best looking crank on the market at the moment.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:42 pm
If so, you'll have to wait and see like the rest of us to see what SRAM decide to do with the Red crank. The fact they've given the current Red crank to Force at a significant discount implies to me that they are going to have a radically different crank for the new gen. Perhaps just wishful thinking! The current Red crank is to me the best looking crank on the market at the moment.
Force cranks have not changed for 2023, other than the finish. The style of rings is similar to Red but has a different finish.

currentsea

by currentsea

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:49 pm
currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:42 pm
Force cranks have not changed for 2023, other than the finish. The style of rings is similar to Red but has a different finish.
That's pretty much what I said. They are the same crank but blacked out - I believe someone has weighed them both and they are the same weight down to the gram.

Your comment sounds like you are saying the D1 Force cranks haven't changed for the new D2 gen.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

currentsea wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:56 pm
That's pretty much what I said. They are the same crank but blacked out - I believe someone has weighed them both and they are the same weight down to the gram.

Your comment sounds like you are saying the D1 Force cranks haven't changed for the new D2 gen.
The Force cranks are not Red with a different finish. They aren't even the same profile. Force have chamfered edges and Red are sharp edged.
Attachments
CWR853_36615_01.jpeg
CAA8661000_60807.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

currentsea wrote:

The Force chainrings are the same weight as Red, not the cranks.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

currentsea wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

Reminds me of GRX Di2 levers.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

splzd

by splzd

Weights for DUB cranks an chainsets according to r2-bike:

just axle and cranks:
Force D2 476g (170mm)
Force D1 468g (172,5mm)
Red 340g (172,5mm)

incl. chainrings, excl. PM:
Force D2 708g (46-33, 170 mm)
Force D1 721g (46-33; 172,5mm)
Red 577g (48-35, 172,5mm)

incl. chainrings and PM:
Force D2 754g (48-35; 170mm)
Force D1 807g (46-33, 170 mm; difference non-PM-spider to PM-spider is 99g, or 161g to 62g)
Red 615g (50-37, 172,5 mm)
Force-D1-chainrings, Quark-PM and Red-Kurbel combination: 677g (46-33 and 170mm)

Main difference of new Force to old one is in the chainring-and-PM-combo. New Force cranks have a new design and may be formed differently, but weigh almost the same than the old Force cranks. If you want a light crankset you need Red crank arms.

currentsea

by currentsea

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:57 pm
currentsea wrote:

The Force cranks are not Red with a different finish. They aren't even the same profile. Force have chamfered edges and Red are sharp edged.
Sorry! You're absolutely right of course. What I was referring to were the chainrings, not the cranks.

ArtV

by ArtV

I found a new Force AXS front derailleur in stock and ordered one to replace my 'legacy' Force AXS derailleur. Will let you know how it goes when I receive it and install it.

I wIll probably buy the new Force AXS power meter as well when it becomes available as it really isn't much more expensive than the Carbon-TI chainrings I am currently running. I couldn't find any in stock at the momemnt in the US though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Reminds me of GRX Di2 levers.
[/quote]

Yeah I thought the same. They look like the shifter upgrade worth waiting for.