*NEW GEN* SRAM Force Groupset March 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

yer your right, i have one as well 😂, i just thought when i was watching the video (on the turbo trainer, with that exact ring on the bike i was riding) that it looks different, brain fog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:42 am
GiantRider wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 pm
Has anyone ever ordered a sram group from lordgun to the USA? I see such great prices but wonder what the catch is and if there is a preferred shipper?
Just search Lordgun on the forum here and you will find that a few from the US has ordered from there. I just put a Sram shifter in a cart and it didnt warm me that it wouldnt ship to Canada and the site showed my currency and country so they might possible ship. I use Merlin for much of my Shimano and Sram when its available and they ship it np.
Which courier do they use for Canada? Totally forgot about them

And by what Im seeing here, if there's no improvement on the FD then I may as well get a Red FD and call it a day? Seems pointless and it sounds like a facelift more than anything else (I do like the aesthetics better)

bobones

by bobones

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:27 pm
And by what Im seeing here, if there's no improvement on the FD then I may as well get a Red FD and call it a day? Seems pointless and it sounds like a facelift more than anything else (I do like the aesthetics better)
You'd be better off with the Rival FD, unless it's the Red looks that you're after. The new Force FD has the same design as the Rival, which is updated and improved (to an extent) from the original design of Red. The Red FD is much more expensive and not worth the extra cost on a performance basis alone. I have one bike with all Red and another with Red and a Rival FD, and it's not something I ever really notice. The only reason I'd change it to the Red FD would be to have "full" Red on that bike, but that's £300 I'd rather just have in my pocket.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Bbbbut Im not going to be popular at the parking lot pre-rides 🙃

I don't mind buying used. Preparing for a project now unless I just buy an entire bike. I just learned today the bike I want will come with the old Force if I order now.

I dont mind it since I have it for Gravel set up as a 1x, but the aesthetics would bother me. Itll be my most expensive project yet

nohands

by nohands

I've not paid much attention to the latest offerings from SRAM as I've focused on other hobbies. I'm getting back into biking and would like your opinions on whether the updated groupset is worth paying full price vs the previous one on sale? My current bike has first gen Red eTap, would the updated grouppo align better with that?

bobones

by bobones

nohands wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:50 pm
I've not paid much attention to the latest offerings from SRAM as I've focused on other hobbies. I'm getting back into biking and would like your opinions on whether the updated groupset is worth paying full price vs the previous one on sale? My current bike has first gen Red eTap, would the updated grouppo align better with that?
The new one looks better for sure, particularly the black chainset based on the Red design and shifters with smaller hoods like the Rival ones. The decals and logos are also an improvement IMO, but there's not going to be much difference, if any, in shifting and braking performance.The new FD is perhaps easier to set up correctly, the RD officially supports a 36T cassette, and the whole group is a little bit lighter. Downsides are no more wired ports for blips and no contact point adjustment for brakes, although I am not sure anyone would really miss that. The new levers can't be paired with old 11-speed eTap whereas the old ones and Red levers can. I guess it depends on the price difference and how much the aesthetic changes appeal to you, but I'd have no qualms buying the old Force if the price was right. I'd imagine you could probably sell your 11-speed eTap for more than the old Force costs now!

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Cranks are 165mm/ 48-35

Cassette is a 10-33

BB is a T47 85.5mm DUB

No clue about the number of links on the chain

~2847g deducting all the wraps and extra plastic parts-guide
Attachments
20230727_213903.jpg
20230727_213735.jpg
20230727_213601.jpg
20230727_213434.jpg
20230727_213353.jpg
20230727_213256.jpg
20230727_213203.jpg
20230727_212918.jpg
20230727_214041.jpg
20230727_213044.jpg
Last edited by g32ecs on Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

Plus batteries.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Added plus chain

DaveS

by DaveS

Regarding the contact adjustment, I see it as unnecessary, once I understand how it works. I thought it affected the pad clearance, but SRAM says no. All it does is increase the deadband where the lever moves, but does not move the pads. I can't imagine this being useful. When the brakes are bled, the contact adjuster is turned fully CCW, which is contact out. That creates minimal deadband. If you have short fingers, and must reduce the reach to the levers, it easy to move them close enough to hit the bars under full braking. My 3 bikes all have the contact adjuster set for minimal deadband, which is the default setup on the new levers with no contact adjustment.

nohands

by nohands

bobones wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:17 am
nohands wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:50 pm
The new one looks better for sure, particularly the black chainset based on the Red design and shifters with smaller hoods like the Rival ones. The decals and logos are also an improvement IMO, but there's not going to be much difference, if any, in shifting and braking performance.The new FD is perhaps easier to set up correctly, the RD officially supports a 36T cassette, and the whole group is a little bit lighter. Downsides are no more wired ports for blips and no contact point adjustment for brakes, although I am not sure anyone would really miss that. The new levers can't be paired with old 11-speed eTap whereas the old ones and Red levers can. I guess it depends on the price difference and how much the aesthetic changes appeal to you, but I'd have no qualms buying the old Force if the price was right. I'd imagine you could probably sell your 11-speed eTap for more than the old Force costs now!
Thanks for the reply bobones. I greatly appreciate it.

robertbb

by robertbb

How could anyone not miss contact point adjustment? For me, that's a non-negotiable on a hydraulic system.

Even Shimano 105 (Di2) has that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Personally I don't miss it. I've always had contact-point adjustment on my eTap/AXS levers backed all the way out. Reach-adjustment on the other hand, I have it maxed out on the newer style Rival/Force levers and it doesn't have as wide an adjustment range as the older levers.

jlok

by jlok

+1 Contact Point adj is dead weight.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Seems like they threw some new stickers and paint on old parts and called it a day. The FD seems like the Rival equivelant, the chainrings seem like Red equivelant, the shifters seem like Rival bodies with Force levers. Am I worng? Is this what work from home got us? Is there any actual engineering with this group? For the record I have 3 bikes with mix of Red, Rival and Force. I have a ton of money invested with Sram and like the product but I fail to understand this release.