Recommended Hard Case for Air Travel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

I have a Tourmalet and it fits in most wagons and hatchbacks with the rear seats folded. Either on the side or upright with the top off. Super easy to pack, protects the bike well. I use mine even when traveling on my van when all my bolted on bike racks are full of bikes. Takes a couple of minutes to pop the bike into the bottom half and then just tie down the box into the back of the van.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Oh i didnt think about taking the top off to fit upright - good shout

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ill cast my vote for the Scicon hardsell ... mine is pushing 12 years old and has been multiple times to Maui, California, and Europe..its survived every witnessed body slam from the baggage gorillas...

I had a triall 3 series case which was very good.. it required minimal disassembly, literally take off the wheels seatpost,, and just turn the bars 90 degrees... you didnt have to remove the bars at all.

That case got smoked by Westjet on a trip back from Maui... I ended up fighting with them for months.. I ended up getting another triall case on sale, and Westjet in the end gave me travel vouchers instead of cash....so I basically in the end got my case for free because the vouchers covered my next airfare to Maui... in the end Westjet won that one because in the end the voucher was probably really worth $50 to them if that, and no cash came out of their pockets...

I switched to the Scicon just because the Triall was so much of a hassle to be lugging around... always needed a larger size rental vehichle etc etc...