Shimano 12-speed cassette with SRAM AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markdjr

by markdjr

Nothing beats Shimano OEM rings for shift quality.

s3si1u

by s3si1u

MrStop wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:51 pm
My fear is more of shift quality. A few have mentioned some concerns of how the Praxis performs, but others have said it's fine. Just overthinking and wandering if something would be better. Moreover, should I go with a 110BCD 4 arm vs staying with the traditional 5 arm.
I've put some more miles on my AXS/Shimano cassette/Praxis chainrings combo and have no issues with front shifting with a KMC chain. I would get the Praxis rings with confidence. Not to say there isn't something better out there, but the Praxis 12 speed chainrings have been flawless for me so far. Shifting is plenty fast, no chain drops, no grinding, etc. Front derailleur setup was a breeze with these rings.

I do plan on picking up a flat top chain to try out. The KMC is great and everyone knows gold chains make you faster :D :D but I do wonder if the flat top will be even quieter, or different in any way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

s3si1u wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:23 pm
I've put some more miles on my AXS/Shimano cassette/Praxis chainrings combo and have no issues with front shifting with a KMC chain. I would get the Praxis rings with confidence. Not to say there isn't something better out there, but the Praxis 12 speed chainrings have been flawless for me so far. Shifting is plenty fast, no chain drops, no grinding, etc. Front derailleur setup was a breeze with these rings.

I do plan on picking up a flat top chain to try out. The KMC is great and everyone knows gold chains make you faster :D :D but I do wonder if the flat top will be even quieter, or different in any way.
Good to hear! I actually placed an order for the Praxis rings this week. I also ordered a Shimano 12-speed chain, so hopefully that improves the shifts as well. I looked into Shimano 12-speed chainrings and they were pricey and/or unobtanium. For that reason, I have always wanted to go aftermarket chainrings so it's not so painful if I want to change gearing. My main concern at this point is how quickly developement and supply will stop on 5x110 BCD since I bought a dZero powermeter spider.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Looking to build a rim brake bike up using a Red AXS gear set and existing parts I have. Just wondering if I could use an 11-36t cassette with the regular rear mech?
  • Sram Red Etap AXS Gearset for rim brakes
  • Dura Ace 9100 Chainset with 52/36 rings
  • Dura Ace 9100 Calipers
  • Dura Ace 9200 11-34 Cassette
  • XTR M9100 Chain
I'm aware that the cassette is not exactly the same spacing but is close enough. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by ultimobici on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobones

by bobones

I've used a 10-36 with the standard Red RD. I just used the chain I had that was sized for a 10-33 and tweaked the B screw and microadjust settings. It just worked. There are some blog posts by 3T guys on the subject. I am guessing 11-36 Shimano might work given this and the fact that 11-34 Shimano works well.

s3si1u

by s3si1u

MrStop wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:56 pm

Good to hear! I actually placed an order for the Praxis rings this week. I also ordered a Shimano 12-speed chain, so hopefully that improves the shifts as well. I looked into Shimano 12-speed chainrings and they were pricey and/or unobtanium. For that reason, I have always wanted to go aftermarket chainrings so it's not so painful if I want to change gearing. My main concern at this point is how quickly developement and supply will stop on 5x110 BCD since I bought a dZero powermeter spider.
Looking forward to your experiences with the Praxis/Shimano setup!
There's a few 5x110 AliExpress options that may work. Im also curious about these as they have smaller tooth count that may be a better match for use with an XDR cassette.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Bumping up this thread. Couldn't find appropriate answer. Will SRAM flattop 12spd chain work with Shimano Ultegra 12spd cassette? Chain replacement is due soon and I have Force flattop chain laying around

Currently, I'm running ultegra 12spd chain with Force AXS RD and ultegra 12spd cassette + Praxis Works 52/36 12spd rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobones

by bobones

samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:18 am
Bumping up this thread. Couldn't find appropriate answer. Will SRAM flattop 12spd chain work with Shimano Ultegra 12spd cassette? Chain replacement is due soon and I have Force flattop chain laying around

Currently, I'm running ultegra 12spd chain with Force AXS RD and ultegra 12spd cassette + Praxis Works 52/36 12spd rings.
Yes, flat top chain will work too, but you don't get the benefit of HG+ so a it's little bit clunkier moving down the cassette. I have flat top chain with 105 cassette on one bike, but the Ultegra cassette has an Ultegra chain.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

bobones wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:15 pm
you don't get the benefit of HG+ so a it's little bit clunkier moving down the cassette
Honestly, I've been running 11spd ultegra cassette with XX1 mtb 11spd chain on original eTap without any issues whatsover, shifting was just fine. Did they change something on 12spd cassettes?

bobones

by bobones

samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:22 pm
bobones wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:15 pm
you don't get the benefit of HG+ so a it's little bit clunkier moving down the cassette
Honestly, I've been running 11spd ultegra cassette with XX1 mtb 11spd chain on original eTap without any issues whatsover, shifting was just fine. Did they change something on 12spd cassettes?
Yes, Dura Ace and Ultegra get the road implementation of HYPERGLIDE+, so machining on cassette and chains to 'place' chain on next cog down. 12-speed 105 doesn't get it from what I understand.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Can you try to install ultegra cassette and see how it actually performs with flattop chain?

bobones

by bobones

samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:08 pm
Can you try to install ultegra cassette and see how it actually performs with flattop chain?
I already did when I first set this bike up, and it's fine, just not quite as smooth dropping down as the matching Ultegra chain, because the flat top chain doesn't have the shaping for HG+.

TXkestrel

by TXkestrel

Anyone on here using a flattop chain with AXS cassette on wheels with a shimano cassette on the trainer? Curious if this works or if the adjustement between the two is different and would need to be changed between each or if directly plug and play without having to adjust. Im really trying to avoid dropping the cash on the XDR freehub body for my trainer when im very happy with my axs cassette and wheels with axs freehub body.

DaveS

by DaveS

Any time a bike is moved to a trainer, micro adjustments may be required, just like putting a different cassette on your bike. The limit screws also need to be backed out or the adjustments won't work at each end of the cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

bobones wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:20 pm
samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:08 pm
I already did when I first set this bike up, and it's fine, just not quite as smooth dropping down as the matching Ultegra chain, because the flat top chain doesn't have the shaping for HG+.
Thank you 👍