Shimano 12-speed cassette with SRAM AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

bobones wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Very nice work there! :beerchug:
Thanks for answering my questions and providing insight. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 am
joeyb1000 just claimed Srampagnolo works "really well."

:noidea:

It's all about operational windows and it's clear that mixing groups shrinks those windows, sometimes to the point of incompatibility with certain gear ranges, chainstay lengths, etc.
joeyb1000 says he was successful while running the campy cassete/chain/crank.

On the other hand, this dude states he couldn't get the Campy cassette to work, but deeper in the comments says he switched to a Shimano 11-34 has no issues on a 2x set up with a Shimano crankset. No idea what chain was in use when he tried the Campy cassette though. Would be good to know.

Clearly YMMV and it definitely is gonna come down to different combinations. Nothing left to do but play around with it.
That really looks like a chorus 12s chain and cassette. I don't know why he was having issues, but the AXS RD worked really well for me. It's worth noting that I frequently check my dropout alignment.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

joeyb1000 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:54 am
That really looks like a chorus 12s chain and cassette. I don't know why he was having issues, but the AXS RD worked really well for me. It's worth noting that I frequently check my dropout alignment.
Right on. Tons of variables there.

Finally got my chains prepped/waxed and got it outside. No issues at all.

I consider it it a success. I'm pleased with it, and I am picky about how my gear operates.

jezperks

by jezperks

Im running SRAM Force AXS derauillers with an Ultegra 12 Speed cassette (11-30), KMC X12 chain (make sure its the rev 2) and Quarq 11 speed Chainset (53/39) on my Canyon Aeroad Rim Brake Race bike. Works perfectly and allowed me to keep my standard 11 speed freehub and use my Quarq.

One thing i should point out is that the FD hangs lower than a typoical 11 speed FD and due to using a 53T chainset I had to have it slid up to the highest point in the braze on mount and only just gives enbough clearance.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Its good to know you got the 53 to work jezperks cause I was a little concerned that it might be an issue but I guess it might also depend on what frame its on as well.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Madone + normal AXS FD won't even clear a 52t chainring.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Doh Haha now I am worried again.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:11 am
Doh Haha now I am worried again.
Rotor, Croder and others make adapters that will raise the FD, though also move it slightly aft as well.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Thanks Tobin, good to know and I will keep it in mind if the V2 braze on and AXS dont get on with Record 12sp chainset.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am
I just ordered the Red AXS flatmount group as it was onsale here in Canada. I currently have a Campy P2M crank and running a Bora 35 and DA60 wheelset with the Edub 29/11 Shimano cassette and the Recon Campy 29/12 with a Campy chain. I know its a real mishmash of parts but I will do whatever I can to make it work. I am not too finicky on shifting as long as its not overly noisy and makes the shift within reason. I was able to make the etap work with non round rings on a DA crank with Shimano cassette on one wheelset and Campy on the other.
I installed the AXS group and it seems to work with both my cassettes, crank, and chain listed above while in the stand which is the first step and then once the weather warms abit and its dry I will take it outside for some fine tuning out on the road. The brakes set up well even though I know some fluid leaked from the hoses when cutting them to length and the stealthamajig was handy as well but might add some Dot fluid for top up. Just waiting for the bleeding edge tool to arrive but for now I have ample brakes for setup. The crank has 52/36 round Campy rings which was np for fd setup.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

With all the information here I have to ask:

Do you guys think that an Absolute Black oval ring in 48/32/11 speed./, would work with SRAM AXS flattop chain???

I have an AB oval in 50-36 on my other bike and running with Shimano M9100 XTR 12 sp. chain and it runs and shifts spectacular.

The only thing I had to do is to file the pulleys a little bit to make them narrower.

I have J&L pulleys and they were skipping a bit before I sanded them...

Soo could I have the 11 sp.AB ovals with SRAM AXS flat chain???

Or maybe is better to use Shimano 12 sp chain with 11 sp AB rings/since I am running it on the other Etap/ but not AXS bike.

LMK on your thoughts...

Cheers,🍻

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:36 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am
I just ordered the Red AXS flatmount group as it was onsale here in Canada. I currently have a Campy P2M crank and running a Bora 35 and DA60 wheelset with the E.Dubied 29/11 Shimano cassette and the Recon Campy 29/12 with a Campy chain. I know its a real mishmash of parts but I will do whatever I can to make it work. I am not too finicky on shifting as long as its not overly noisy and makes the shift within reason. I was able to make the etap work with non round rings on a DA crank with Shimano cassette on one wheelset and Campy on the other.
I installed the AXS group and it seems to work with both my cassettes, crank, and chain listed above while in the stand which is the first step and then once the weather warms abit and its dry I will take it outside for some fine tuning out on the road. The brakes set up well even though I know some fluid leaked from the hoses when cutting them to length and the stealthamajig was handy as well but might add some Dot fluid for top up. Just waiting for the bleeding edge tool to arrive but for now I have ample brakes for setup. The crank has 52/36 round Campy rings which was np for fd setup.
So I got a quick chance to test the bike today and found that the E.Dubied Shimano shifted better than the Recon Campy and the Campy chain worked well with the FD. Shifting was also slower with the Recon and there was one of the small cogs were the shift was noticeably slower. I am thinking about installing the SR cassette to see if it shifts any better. I know it did shift better with the mech SR shifters I originally had on this bike. I did check to make sure the hanger was straight which it was. I have ordered the Sram Red chain to see if that makes it quicker for shifting.
Last edited by bikeboy1tr on Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

As we get more and more ratios on our cassettes, the tolerances are getting finer so rear mech hanger alignment is critical.
It's worth checking this out before embarking on any cross manufacturer hacks/bodges as the 0.25mm difference in chains can easily be outweighed by a bent mech hanger.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Got a ride in for hour thirty today to test the AXS disc groupset and it works well with the assortment of parts I am running. Required no adjustments and no chain drops and managed to seat in the disc pads to eliminate that squealing noise coming from the rear. Awaiting the Red 12sp chain heading this way from Merlin to see if the narrower chain makes any difference on shifting. I found the brakes to have good modulation and they felt a bit better than the Campy Record brakes. Pretty happy overall with the performance of this groupset and it was easier for me to setup than my Red etap. I didnt even use the jig for the FD but I did get the cage very close to the big ring with maybe a couple mil between the it and the big ring. Originally it so close there was one tooth on the big ring that tickled the cage on the way through so I did move it up as I still had room to move up on the braze on. Might be able to make the non round 52 work but not sure just yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rj70

by rj70

I'm running a shimano ultegra 8100 12spd chainset and cassette with sram red axs 12spd 2x deraileurs/shifters with a sram pc x01 eagle chain, shifting is fine.