Shimano 12-speed cassette with SRAM AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

cleanneon98 wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:58 am
cleanneon98 wrote:
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:41 pm
^ Look, as cassette range increases it becomes more difficult for manufacturers to keep the chain on in small-small. Last thing you would want is your chain coming off if you hit a bump at 70kph. Who would you blame then?
But some people want the choice to do something potentially dangerous just because principles of freedom, not because it has any actual merit or advantage. On that note, how dare Honda disable radar cruise and lane centering in my car if I don't wear a seatbelt, it should be my choice to have my car semi drive itself going 80mph on the highway while I'm unbuckled, but they took it away from me.

I did notice that on my newer 8100 series Ui2, I can go as far as the 12t in the small ring while my 8000 series Ui2 I can only go to 13t. Not sure if it's due to improved clutch in the RD or something else, but the chain is notably louder in that combination and if I spin the crank backwards you can literally feel the drag compared to having the chain closer to the middle of the cassette. Not a gear combo I'll be using personally, as the shifting is also notably slower and slightly clunkier trying to shift through the smallest cogs while in the small ring, especially going from 12t to 13t, 13-14, etc
More likely due to the longer stays discs and fatter tyres have necessitated, chain angle has eased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stays are identical on both bikes, but perhaps that's true
Not what I meant. I was referring to Shimano changing their approach due to changes in frame design. R9150 was introduced when they were catering to rim and disc brake setups. By the time 9200 was introduced rim brakes were a minor proportion of their sales.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:12 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:58 am
cleanneon98 wrote: But some people want the choice to do something potentially dangerous just because principles of freedom, not because it has any actual merit or advantage. On that note, how dare Honda disable radar cruise and lane centering in my car if I don't wear a seatbelt, it should be my choice to have my car semi drive itself going 80mph on the highway while I'm unbuckled, but they took it away from me.

I did notice that on my newer 8100 series Ui2, I can go as far as the 12t in the small ring while my 8000 series Ui2 I can only go to 13t. Not sure if it's due to improved clutch in the RD or something else, but the chain is notably louder in that combination and if I spin the crank backwards you can literally feel the drag compared to having the chain closer to the middle of the cassette. Not a gear combo I'll be using personally, as the shifting is also notably slower and slightly clunkier trying to shift through the smallest cogs while in the small ring, especially going from 12t to 13t, 13-14, etc
More likely due to the longer stays discs and fatter tyres have necessitated, chain angle has eased.

Stays are identical on both bikes, but perhaps that's true
Not what I meant. I was referring to Shimano changing their approach due to changes in frame design. R9150 was introduced when they were catering to rim and disc brake setups. By the time 9200 was introduced rim brakes were a minor proportion of their sales.

Yea I gotcha. My rim and disc bikes have identical stay lengths but I can see how Shimano would make those changes on their side with bikes overall changing. I guess my 2 are anecdotal and irrelevant for that.
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Has anyone come across a light HG 11-36 12 speed cassette yet? Looking for something more like Dura Ace in weight rather than 7100.

Last edited by ultimobici on Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveholja

by daveholja

Finally got my Sramano set up (sans FD - more on that later). I'm running:

SRAM Red AXS shifters & derailleurs
Shimano Ultegra 12 speed cassette & Chain
Quarq dFour 53/34 Chainset

It shifts like an absolute dream - completely silent and crisp. I do have the microadjust on '1' which perhaps isn't ideal but it works so I'm happy. Set up and indexing was a doddle and the full wireless-ness of it is so so nice.

FD is a bit more of an issue (as expected) there is no way the SRAM FD was getting over my 53T chainring (I know I don't need a 53T but I'm stubborn / cheap) so I've ordered an extender to move it higher and further back which I hope will work. Ran it 'one-by' this morning and it was perfect.

upload pics

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Slightly different question: has anyone tried to run an AXS cassette on an otherwise full Di2 setup? I'd like the AXS ratios but with Shimano ergonomics and shifting.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:47 am
Has anyone come across a light HG 11-36 13 speed cassette yet? Looking for something more like Dura Ace in weight rather than 7100.
Do you mean 12-speed? I just bought the Edco monoblock 12s 11-34. 198g according to them - my scales show 197.5 without the lockring. Haven't fitted it yet - waiting for the Ultegra 11-34 it will be replacing to wear out.

https://edubied.com/products/dubied_mon ... ano_12_spd

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

NickJHP wrote: Do you mean 12-speed? I just bought the Edco monoblock 12s 11-34. 198g according to them - my scales show 197.5 without the lockring. Haven't fitted it yet - waiting for the Ultegra 11-34 it will be replacing to wear out.

Oops. Yes, 12 speed.

I’m not too keen on Edco, having used an 11 speed one a while back. Shifting performance was not great compared to both Shimano and, more surprisingly, the S-Road 10-36 I have.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:51 am
NickJHP wrote: Do you mean 12-speed? I just bought the Edco monoblock 12s 11-34. 198g according to them - my scales show 197.5 without the lockring. Haven't fitted it yet - waiting for the Ultegra 11-34 it will be replacing to wear out.

Oops. Yes, 12 speed.

I’m not too keen on Edco, having used an 11 speed one a while back. Shifting performance was not great compared to both Shimano and, more surprisingly, the S-Road 10-36 I have.

The Edco and E.Dubied are Not the same as I made the mistake of assuming that when emailing Edco about E.Dubied 12sp cassette.
NickJHP mentions Edco but the link he gives is for E.Dubied. I am running the E.Dubied 12sp 11/32 Campy with Red AXS with minimal adjustments for setup. I also have the E.Dubied Shimano 11/30 on a DA wheelset and it works just as well as far as cog spacing is concerned.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

wltz

by wltz

I think you meant to say Recon and E.Dubied/EDCO are not the same. The ED in EDCO is E.Dubied, I am not old enough to remember vividly, but I believe the Recon's Harry in Taiwan OEM manufactured cassettes for the previous incarnation of E.Dubied, then carried on when they went under.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Either way, none of them offer an 11-36 12 speed for Shimano. I’ve messaged Recon asking if they have plans to do one.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

wltz wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:47 pm
I think you meant to say Recon and E.Dubied/EDCO are not the same. The ED in EDCO is E.Dubied, I am not old enough to remember vividly, but I believe the Recon's Harry in Taiwan OEM manufactured cassettes for the previous incarnation of E.Dubied, then carried on when they went under.
I wrote this back in April 2023 and I think the reply I got from Edco was from Dec of 22. I cant find the email now but from the tone of the responder of Edco they didnt part ways on a positive note. I cant speak for the shifting of the Edco 12sp but I did have a Recon and it was terrible shifting and leaving adjustment for min/max was extremely tight. The E.Dubied was far better.

I emailed Edco as to why E.Dubied was showing nothing instock and I was trying to order off of the Edco site but they do not ship to North America and I believe they only ship within the UK themselves. I did get a reply from Edco stating that E.Dubied was once an employee who currently is not employed by Edco so the two companies have nothing to do with one another. I asked where will I get the cassette I want and Edco recommended going to Prestacycle but I dont know if Edco and Presta work together of if they are just close.
So I doubt that the tolerances are going to be the same from the Presta-Recon-Edco-E.Dubied but I do know that for my Recon 12sp cassette and my E.Dubied 12sp for Campy shift completely different. I will never purchase a Recon again as it was pretty much bin material.
I have only read good things about Edco and E.Dubied so far.

Attermann

by Attermann

They are all made by Recong, so it's strange that they will shift different, my E.dubied and my fathers Recong shifted the same.

wltz

by wltz

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:35 pm
I did get a reply from Edco stating that E.Dubied was once an employee who currently is not employed by Edco so the two companies have nothing to do with one another.
lol the first part of this statement:
https://edubied.com/pages/about-e-dubied-co
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edouard_Dubied_%26_Co

Some VC guys just bought a defunct brand.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

wltz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:00 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:35 pm
I did get a reply from Edco stating that E.Dubied was once an employee who currently is not employed by Edco so the two companies have nothing to do with one another.
lol the first part of this statement:
https://edubied.com/pages/about-e-dubied-co
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edouard_Dubied_%26_Co

Some VC guys just bought a defunct brand.
Dam I really wish I could find that email now. Haha I guess they parted ways many many years ago. E.Dubied has quite the history and when I checked the About for Edco it was focused on the current wheels and components rather than history.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lock40Nm

by lock40Nm

My Giant TCR Sram Force AXS short cage derailleur with 11-34 Shimano 7100 cassette. No any problems, shifting is very well.
Attachments
20230804_181508.jpg
2014 CUBE AGREE GTC, 7.350g including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals