Shimano 12-speed cassette with SRAM AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

Sram does not allow the small ring and smallest sprocket to be used. The flashing red light is normal. I would expect poor shifting if you really have a mismatched 52/34 chain ring setup. It works perfectly with a Chorus 48/32 and should work with a 50/34 or 52/36, if you can get the FD up high enough.

Micro adjusting is like tightening or loosening the RD shift cable on mechanical system, Whatever works with the big ring should work for the small. Be sure to back out the limit screws before micro adjusting and only set them in to touch when micro adjusting is complete.

I only used an AXS chain when I ran a Campy 12 cassette, but either should work. The Campy chain would probably work better with an 11 speed crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

defy1

by defy1

defy1 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:47 am
Thinking of going 12 sp budget style with the Ratio kit and my current sram red 22 11sp.
Will this work ok?

50/36sp 11sp FSA chainrings

12sp Shimano Ultegra 8100 cassette

Chain : KMC 12sp
OR YBN 12sp
OR 8100 12sp

Seems from reading this thread, the chain can be a big factor.
Happy to report I have completed my conversion and it all works great! Ended up with a shimano 8100 chain and the Shimano specific Ratio kit. Did my first 40mile ride with the setup and didn't have any major problems, except some minor tweaking with the barrel adjuster. Glad to be able to get a 12 sp setup, with a just a $180 cost.
If anyone has any questions let me know.

TLN

by TLN

Have two bikes, one is Sram AXS (Force/Red), another is full Ultegra 12sp. Also have a trainer: wahoo kickr, with both kinds of drivers but no 12sp cassette yet.

What is the most optimal way to pair it all together? I can easily have a wheelset for each bike, but what to do with the trainer?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TLN wrote:Have two bikes, one is Sram AXS (Force/Red), another is full Ultegra 12sp. Also have a trainer: wahoo kickr, with both kinds of drivers but no 12sp cassette yet.

What is the most optimal way to pair it all together? I can easily have a wheelset for each bike, but what to do with the trainer?
For the trainer to work properly with both bikes you’ll need two cassettes. Although the spacing is close enough, the rollers on AXS are bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLN

by TLN

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:47 am
TLN wrote:Have two bikes, one is Sram AXS (Force/Red), another is full Ultegra 12sp. Also have a trainer: wahoo kickr, with both kinds of drivers but no 12sp cassette yet.

For the trainer to work properly with both bikes you’ll need two cassettes. Although the spacing is close enough, the rollers on AXS are bigger.

What parts I'll need to swap on Ultegra bike to keep everything close to Sram eco system?
Cassette and chair, or crankset as well?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TLN wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:47 am

What parts I'll need to swap on Ultegra bike to keep everything close to Sram eco system?
Cassette and chair, or crankset as well?
You’ll need to change the same items on whichever bike you change. Cassette, chain & chainrings (or chainset). It’ll be cheaper to swap the Sram bike to Shimano I would think. That way you could use a Shimano 7100 cassette on the trainer.

TLN

by TLN

That's what I thought.
Not sure how it's cheaper to move Sram bike to Shimano. When I bought mine,Sram Force groupset was cheaper than Ultegra. I already own spare Force/Red parts (cranks, PM, cassette), so it's matter of buying rival/new Force shifters and dereileurs for me.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I’m presuming you’re running 2x on both bikes?

While Sram seems to play ok on Shimano, I’m not sure anyone has tried it the other way round. If you’ve got the parts spare you might as well as try it.

You need only swap out the drive train - cassette, chain, cranks & bb.

TLN

by TLN

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:41 pm
I’m presuming you’re running 2x on both bikes?

While Sram seems to play ok on Shimano, I’m not sure anyone has tried it the other way round. If you’ve got the parts spare you might as well as try it.
You need only swap out the drive train - cassette, chain, cranks & bb.
I was sold on Sram, but got a good deal on bike with UDi2. Not we have two 2x bikes in household on opposite groupsets.
I am considering building another frankenstein commuter bike: Canyon Grizl AL Suspension with dropper post, so both of us can ride it. Might keep this one on a trainer.

I think it's easier to try it outmyself and see how two groups play out. I got more (better?) Sram parts, so might convert new bike to Sram.

joshmart10

by joshmart10

bobones wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 am
For the doubting Thomas' among you ...

Ultegra with Rival AXS (Ultegra chain) - good shifting

105 with Force AXS (Force chain) - 1 mm spacer (micro adjust at position 16) - good shifting if a little noiser than with Shimano chain above

105 with Force AXS - no spacer. Chain jumping on big ring with micro adjust at anything higher than 7 but still noise lower down at position 9 - no acceptable compromise

Hi!

I am building a SEKA Exceed with 52-36 Magene QED chainring and 11-32 ZTTO cassette. I am planning on putting SRAM Rival AXS as my shift kit. Will it be okay if I use a SRAM Rival D1 Wide FD for my set up?

Thanks!

bobones

by bobones

joshmart10 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:33 pm
Hi!

I am building a SEKA Exceed with 52-36 Magene QED chainring and 11-32 ZTTO cassette. I am planning on putting SRAM Rival AXS as my shift kit. Will it be okay if I use a SRAM Rival D1 Wide FD for my set up?

Thanks!
Hi. I don't think you want the Wide Rival FD, just the standard one. The wide one is for use with wide format cranks that have a longer spindle to provide clearance for large tyres on gravel bikes etc. I don't know much about the Magene, but I think it's just a standard (non-wide) crank, although I could easily be wrong.

One potential problem you may have is getting the FD high enough on the braze on tab to clear your 52 ring. It might be OK, but if not, you'll need an adaptor to allow the FD to go higher. I had a Scott where the braze on adapter was fine and my current bikes running 52/36 chainsets have band-on FD mounts so they can easily be moved up.

joshmart10

by joshmart10

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:52 pm
joshmart10 wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!
Hi. I don't think you want the Wide Rival FD, just the standard one. The wide one is for use with wide format cranks that have a longer spindle to provide clearance for large tyres on gravel bikes etc. I don't know much about the Magene, but I think it's just a standard (non-wide) crank, although I could easily be wrong.

One potential problem you may have is getting the FD high enough on the braze on tab to clear your 52 ring. It might be OK, but if not, you'll need an adaptor to allow the FD to go higher. I had a Scott where the braze on adapter was fine and my current bikes running 52/36 chainsets have band-on FD mounts so they can easily be moved up.
Thanks for your insight! Much appreciated

joshmart10

by joshmart10

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:52 pm
joshmart10 wrote:
Hi!

Thanks!

I have one more question, will the SRAM flat top chain work nicely on a ZTTO Cassette?

bobones

by bobones

joshmart10 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:31 pm
I have one more question, will the SRAM flat top chain work nicely on a ZTTO Cassette?
I don't know as I have never tried a ZTTO cassette, but my experience is that the flattop chain seems to work ok on non AXS 12 speed cassettes like Shimano and Sunshine (AliE). However, if you're not running AXS cranks or cassettes then a chain with standard sized rollers such as KMC X12 or Shimano may wear your drivetrain components less than an AXS chain with its bigger rollers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshmart10

by joshmart10

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:11 pm
joshmart10 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:31 pm
I don't know as I have never tried a ZTTO cassette, but my experience is that the flattop chain seems to work ok on non AXS 12 speed cassettes like Shimano and Sunshine (AliE). However, if you're not running AXS cranks or cassettes then a chain with standard sized rollers such as KMC X12 or Shimano may wear your drivetrain components less than an AXS chain with its bigger rollers.
Got it! Thanks man! 🍻