trifox x16ta build advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matula

by matula

i ordered one of these framesets, it's the through axle version. this makes my old brake levers not really compatible, as i would like to avoid cable actuated disc brakes. i know it's technically/aerodynamically inferior to rim brakes; it was cheap. i'd like to ask the forum's advice on a light but not an obsessive build for a light road touring (audax) bike. could even be flat bar if i can't find a suitable road lever for a fair price. it'll have a somewhat weird double stem setup and a floating front rack with 30 litres of stuff out front anyway. i'm happy anywhere between 50 and 120 cadence so don't need the most extreme short gearing.

what i have that might be applicable:
ultegra 6700 triple groupset, but this has cable sti levers
bontrager handlebars and stem, aluminium, from a 2009 trek
shimano 600 crankset
truvativ elita crankset, isis drive
cst correre 25 mm tyres and lightest butyl tubes from maxxis

what's already ordered:
trifox x16ta (headtube tapered 1-1/8" to 1-1/2", bottom bracket bsa 68mm, 54 cm, hub spacing 100mmx12mm, 142mmx12mm)
trifox m827 mountain bike hubs, but the spacing is 100 and 142 as is the frameset's, although the front axle width here is 15mm instead of 12mm, 165g front 314g rear according to the specs sheet

what i'm looking at buying but haven't yet:
DT Swiss R 460 DB rims? supposed to be 450 grams, and they're 30 euros on superlight-bikeparts de which seem like a steal for some nice rims
thinnest round spokes i can find, dt revolution 1.8, 1.5, 1.8 probably

between the component shortage and the fact i haven't built a bike in 13 years i'm a bit uncertain where to start so i thought i would start a topic. i've always just ordered ultegra or xt complete and put it on a frameset, but nowadays hydraulic road lever shimano sets seem ludicrously expensive and i wonder whether there's a good affordable shortcut? maybe i should wait for the l-twoo hydraulic road group coming out? that's about the weight of 105 apparently. i weigh 70 kilos, aiming to go back down below 65 in about a year or so. front pack weight is under 5 kilos.

thanks for reading. apologies for a bit of an open ended request. thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matula

by matula

brakes that don't look ugly:
growtac equal 272 grams a pair
shimano br-m8110 252 grams dry
shimano br-ur300 weight not found
shimano br-u5000 weight not found
trickstuff c21 flatmount 184 grams dry