Di2 Cheat Sheets are here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PFoxy

by PFoxy

On my old 11 Speed Ultegra bike I always used fully automatic shifting and when I reached the last gear before the front dereilleur would move, it made a peeping sound. I kind of appreciated this. Now on my new bike with 12 speed Ultegra I just also changed to fully automatic shifting, but there is no more peeping before the front dereilleur automatically moves. Can this be added somehow on the new 12 speed di2?

Thanks

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

The beeping is not a part of Ultegra Di2 itself, as far as I know (prove me wrong! :)).

Things that do beep right before a synchro shift:

1) Garmin devices
2) the SC-MT800 / SC-M9051 displays (mtb junction A)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PFoxy

by PFoxy

TerryDi2C wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:52 am
The beeping is not a part of Ultegra Di2 itself, as far as I know (prove me wrong! :)).

Things that do beep right before a synchro shift:

1) Garmin devices
2) the SC-MT800 / SC-M9051 displays (mtb junction A)
Ah thanks. My Endurance bike did have that small mtb display. It does makes sense now.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Setting up 12 speed R7150. Am I right in thinking before I actually install I'm best charging the battery and then plugging in the shifters to update them manually before actually attaching anything to the bike?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

The only update for ST-R7170 adds EW-EX310 support, so it doesn't do that much... but yeah, if you want, update them first and then build the bike.
(https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tube/p ... l=ST-R7170)

These shifters have one SD300 port, hidden underneath the rubber hood cover:

Agent041

by Agent041

I have a strange problem and hope this is the topic for it.

I have couple of months old Di2 Ultegra 12speed. The bike is TCR Pro. And everything was fine till last ride. And on todays it was even worse. Sometimes when I shift into harder gear, the rear deraileur shift 2 gears into harder gear, and not just once. And the shifter press was very soft/easy. So it should definately shift only 1 gear. And not more (as when pressing for longer). This only hapens about once on 10 or 15 shifts. And no specific gear in the back.

The only diferance for these 2 rides are, that it was colder. Around 0 degrees. I am performing update through the app right now. But I am sure that before the bike was sent to me, that it was updated as well.

Can anyone tell me, if this is common problem, and how to solve it? My next ride will be in several days, so I will not know, if updating will solve the problem.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Does it only happen when shifting to a harder gear?

Besides checking that the derailleur hanger is straight and everything is indexed OK, I would also change the top/hood button setting to shift the RD to a harder gear.

See if the problem still occurs when you use the hood button to shift instead of the button you're using now. If the problem goes away, I'd probably open up the button (~2 screws and 4 tiny springs) and check whether things have moved out of place.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

It's also possible his multi shift setting is set to something other than normal speed. A faster multishift setting will cause it to occasionally shift more than one gear if you hold the button down a bit too long. And in cold weather with gloves that becomes more likely.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Agent041

by Agent041

TerryDi2C wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:01 am
Does it only happen when shifting to a harder gear?

Besides checking that the derailleur hanger is straight and everything is indexed OK, I would also change the top/hood button setting to shift the RD to a harder gear.

See if the problem still occurs when you use the hood button to shift instead of the button you're using now. If the problem goes away, I'd probably open up the button (~2 screws and 4 tiny springs) and check whether things have moved out of place.
It only happens when shifting to harder gears, but when quickly then shift back, sometimes it also shifts two gears in lower gear. But this is very rarely.
Will try the hood button.

For now, I updated the components. But unfortunatelly I could not update the left and right shifter. As I updated other components, I did not see that for shifters it was not saying that needs updating. And after update, I clicked for left and then right shifter, and then said update is available. But the "update all" button was not active. And I could not choose seperate shifter for update. The click on seperate shifter gve me only the choice to se the update details. Also could not sellect on the small dot in the right side.

Agent041

by Agent041

goodboyr wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:57 am
It's also possible his multi shift setting is set to something other than normal speed. A faster multishift setting will cause it to occasionally shift more than one gear if you hold the button down a bit too long. And in cold weather with gloves that becomes more likely.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Setting is normal, as it was before. I checked. And as said, it happens only occasionaly. Althoug it was cold, the "tapping" was normal and very short. Have even tested it very very short and it still happens.

Could it be that the cold weather is influencing the electronic in the system and therefore sometimes shifts wrong? Although there are definately riders in the world that use Di2 in even far colden weather.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This could be an indexing issue. The 12-speed RD overshifts on certain cogs by design. I would adjust the indexing inboard by one click and see if the problem goes away. The 12-speed's tolerances are tighter, and may need an indexing update once the components are worn in.

Agent041

by Agent041

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:04 pm
This could be an indexing issue. The 12-speed RD overshifts on certain cogs by design. I would adjust the indexing inboard by one click and see if the problem goes away. The 12-speed's tolerances are tighter, and may need an indexing update once the components are worn in.
I was sure it was not an indexing issue. But have tried it anyway yesterday on the ride. Have set 2 clicks to lower gears (as it shifted 2 gears to harder) but I was haveing some troubles then to shift to harder gear, so have set it back as it was. It is the most oprimal position. And it is not issue in specific cogs, but random.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The only other things to check, 1) freehub/cassette free play. Grab the largest cog and see if you could generate lateral play, 2) freehub runout. Put the bike on the stand and turn the crank. Observe that the cassette is not wobbly (a commong issue due to the 'adhesive' ring on the back of the cassette), and 3) a bent derailleur hanger. Check it with a tool. Even a minorly bent hanger will cause issues on a 12-speed group.

Agent041

by Agent041

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:26 am
The only other things to check, 1) freehub/cassette free play. Grab the largest cog and see if you could generate lateral play, 2) freehub runout. Put the bike on the stand and turn the crank. Observe that the cassette is not wobbly (a commong issue due to the 'adhesive' ring on the back of the cassette), and 3) a bent derailleur hanger. Check it with a tool. Even a minorly bent hanger will cause issues on a 12-speed group.
1) Cassette is fix as it should be
2)Cassette is not wobbly and all is almost new and has maybe 2k km runtime
3) almost imposible the derailleur would be bend as before the mix shifting the bike was stored so derailleur did not touch anything and it was fine before that. And if bend, then the double shifting would be always in the same gear.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Agent041 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:41 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:26 am
1) Cassette is fix as it should be
2)Cassette is not wobbly and all is almost new and has maybe 2k km runtime
3) almost imposible the derailleur would be bend as before the mix shifting the bike was stored so derailleur did not touch anything and it was fine before that. And if bend, then the double shifting would be always in the same gear.
For #2, check out this webpage. I'd suggest you remove the ring to avoid any potential issues. https://bettershifting.com/12-speed-dan ... cillation/

For #3, even new bikes come with bent hangers. It's not so much the hanger that is bent, but rather the interface between the bike's dropout and the hanger varies from bike to bike. The hanger is there to act as an adjustment that makes the RD parallel. If you don't own a hanger alignment tool, chances are none of your bikes have straight hangers. I've worked on many bikes for friends, too many to count. Only one bike came to my garage with a straight hanger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com