Di2 Cheat Sheets are here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

satanas

by satanas

Apologies if this isn't the most appropriate place to ask, but I have a few questions about 12 speed Di2, but first a little background.

With 11 speed one could have a set of satellite shifters wired into the main levers, then have a second set of TT shifters on clip-on aero bars, wired into a 5 port junction box under the stem. I'm wondering if one can have similar shifter placement with 12 speed stuff, and whether using the one button TT shifters would force Syncro on the main levers too. (Nobody I know is happy that Shimano discontinued the 2 button TT shifters.)

The fairly generic Shimano DMs unhelpfully fail to state how many ports are included on which types of shifters (DA, Ultegra, hydro, rim brake), and there's nowhere near me that stocks all of them so I can go and look.

I know there are no ports on 105 levers so they're out, and so far there's no sign of 12 speed GRX Di2 - perhaps Shimano might do what they did with the 11 speed rim brake levers and use a wiring adapter + firmware update?

As a last resort I suppose soldering two sets of satellite shifters onto one cable then plugging the pairs into one port each might work, but is there a way around having to do this? Thanks for any info!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Using one-button TT shifters does not force synchro, no.

The 12-speed rim shifters have 2 regular SD300 ports and one SW-RS801 satellite type port.
The 12-speed hydraulic ultegra / dura-ace shifters have one SD300 port and one SW-RS801 satellite type port

The 12-speed 105 shifters don't have any regular SD300 ports to use with other components.
(they do have one port, but only for use with the SM-PCE02)

Shimano SW-RS801-E should become available ~september-november, and it's basically the SW-RS801-T with a longer wire.
You can connect multiple SW-RS801 satellite shifters to one satellite shifter port, yeah.. Either by soldering them together, or by using the JC304 junction and plugging them into the same port through that. See this (Instagram) post for more info: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqsXuCrM3AB/

satanas

by satanas

So, SW-RS801-T on bar tops + SW-RS801-E on clip-ons + JC304 into satellite shifter ports, which leaves the SD300 ports to optionally connect to the battery.

Awesome - thanks very much Terry! Shimano should pay you to write their manuals...

xsnailx

by xsnailx

are 2 button TT shifters available for a 12 speed di2?

xsnailx

by xsnailx

TerryDi2C wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:09 pm
No :(
so the only way to achieve that will be to part the classic shifters (11speed maybe?) and solder custom buttons?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

The two-button shifters never got a firmware update to make them compatible, so simply plugging them in won't work.

You could add SW-R9150 to the bike if you want more buttons though, I suppose.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

TerryDi2C wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:44 am
The two-button shifters never got a firmware update to make them compatible, so simply plugging them in won't work.

You could add SW-R9150 to the bike if you want more buttons though, I suppose.
Or maybe rip the guts from ST-R8150 or ST-R9250, solder set of connectors to them (to switch pads) and connect 1gen di2 tt shifters and tt brake levers ? this shall work i suppose?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Terry,

Can the initial setup and tuning of a 9250 rim brake setup be done using the PCE02 without having to use the app? Do the RD and FD have to be paired if the system is fully wired?

cheers.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

You don't *need* the app for anything when it comes to setting up the bike. The only thing you really need the app or the PCE02 for is to customise the synchro shift settings.

Pairing wireless shifters can be done without the app (connect both to the derailleur/battery via wire and press and hold the button for ~7-8 seconds).
Setting up the FD / RD adjustments is easier through the app/PCE02 since they guide you through the process, but can be done without app/computer too.

The derailleurs don't need to be paired to the system, they just work ;-)
(and you cannot pair the wires R9250 shifters, they don't have any wireless functionality ;-))

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TerryDi2C wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 pm
You don't *need* the app for anything when it comes to setting up the bike. The only thing you really need the app or the PCE02 for is to customise the synchro shift settings.

Pairing wireless shifters can be done without the app (connect both to the derailleur/battery via wire and press and hold the button for ~7-8 seconds).
Setting up the FD / RD adjustments is easier through the app/PCE02 since they guide you through the process, but can be done without app/computer too.

The derailleurs don't need to be paired to the system, they just work ;-)
(and you cannot pair the wires R9250 shifters, they don't have any wireless functionality ;-))
Thanks.

shn750

by shn750

I have Dura Ace Di2 12 speed. Is there anyway to configure one of the top hood buttons to act as the 'enter' botton on the Garmin 520? I get text alerts on my phone that gets displayed on the garmin. I would constantly have to manually press the 'enter' button on the garmin to dismiss the message. Configuring this function on the di2 hood button would be ideal to achieve this. Looking at the settings, I don't see this as a programable function. I believe only changing garmin screens/next page is the only option.

Thanks
Steve

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

I don't own a recent Garmin device at this time, but according to Garmin you can use:
  • Next Page
  • Previous Page
  • Record Lap
  • Start/Stop Timer
  • Turn Back Light On
  • Show Map
  • Show Compass
  • Show Elevation Profile
  • Show Lap Summary
  • Show Virtual Partner
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=d ... C2m3jqIGz7

decade

by decade

Hi
A unamed person in my house is fond of cross chaining her 9150 Di2 kit 50 front ring with the 34 largest cog (yes I know it the 11-34 not officially supported but it works). Howeverquite often when in the 50 and 34 the chain drops to the smallest chainring. My question is, can I use the etube software to block her using the 50 and 34 in combo?
cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com