good cost-performance bibs suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aesch

by Aesch

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:02 am
I've tried many mid to low tier brands/models (from entry-level Assos bib to Probikekit). And I prefer Castelli. I know, it's very mainstream -- it doesn't project the image of "exclusivity". But their Progetto X2 Air pad, which has no crease or stitching whatsoever, works best for me. Also, since Castelli are sold pretty much everywhere, it's much easier to find them on sale. A top-end Castelli on sale is often half the price of a discounted Assos (based on where I live). I'll eventually try other brands such dhb and even MAAP, Rapha and high-end Assos but I doubt they'll beat "on-sale Castelli" in terms of value.
I fully agree. After trying many I've come back to Castelli and they're awesome.
The assos RS left me with "ventilation hole shaped" chafing marks all over my nether region, even though I laughed about it can't recommend them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Aesch wrote:
darrydonds wrote:
I've tried many mid to low tier brands/models (from entry-level Assos bib to Probikekit). And I prefer Castelli. I know, it's very mainstream -- it doesn't project the image of "exclusivity". But their Progetto X2 Air pad, which has no crease or stitching whatsoever, works best for me. Also, since Castelli are sold pretty much everywhere, it's much easier to find them on sale. A top-end Castelli on sale is often half the price of a discounted Assos (based on where I live). I'll eventually try other brands such dhb and even MAAP, Rapha and high-end Assos but I doubt they'll beat "on-sale Castelli" in terms of value.
I fully agree. After trying many I've come back to Castelli and they're awesome.
The assos RS left me with "ventilation hole shaped" chafing marks all over my nether region, even though I laughed about it can't recommend them.
What?!??! ImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

C36

by C36

Thanks for the PSA that’s one of the absolute best options and still (kind of) stick to OP original scope.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

C36 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:15 pm
Thanks for the PSA that’s one of the absolute best options and still (kind of) stick to OP original scope.
Since this is weight weenies. Castelli Superleggera cost just a tiny bit more than Castelli Free Aero RC ( +$8 for me). But it is 43 grams lighter.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/cast ... 81756.html

Any comment about these two compared other than weight?

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I used Giordana Silverline for a few years, then tried La Passione and Pactimo.
Now I am back to Silverline they are the best I have used.

Mrmamil

by Mrmamil

The Castelli's are my go to bibs and many of them are on sale now. IMO, it's the best time to buy now because 1) black friday season and 2) off-season so the summer clothings are generally cheaper.

I wear the Castelli Competizione mid-range bibs on a daily basis (~3x/week for 5 months yearly) and it lasts me about 2 summers before they gets stretchy. I rotate between two pairs. They're selling at around $65 usd at Merlin atm.

For longer rides above 100km, I'll wear either the Free Aero or Premio bibs. These are top of the line bibs and uses Castelli's best chamois, the Progetto X2.

Personally, I only wear Castelli bibs exclusively to ensure the same fit (eg:tan lines), feel and comfort on every ride.

MRM

by MRM

The best performance to value proposition I have found so far are the Le Col pro bibs. Le Col offer a 55€ multiple times a year through their Strava challenges (wish Rapha would do the same for their jerseys). This discount stacks with their regular sales. So that way you can get the bibs for anything from 40-60% off regular price.
Only shame is that they are only available in black or blue. Would love for them to come in a dark green or dark red etc.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

BTW: Pactimo Black Friday sale has started.
There are some good price stuff there.

Aesch

by Aesch

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Aesch wrote:
darrydonds wrote:
What?!??! ImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12
Just imagine a polka dot pattern all over :mrgreen:

kode54

by kode54

Mrmamil wrote:The Castelli's are my go to bibs and many of them are on sale now. IMO, it's the best time to buy now because 1) black friday season and 2) off-season so the summer clothings are generally cheaper.

I wear the Castelli Competizione mid-range bibs on a daily basis (~3x/week for 5 months yearly) and it lasts me about 2 summers before they gets stretchy. I rotate between two pairs. They're selling at around $65 usd at Merlin atm.

For longer rides above 100km, I'll wear either the Free Aero or Premio bibs. These are top of the line bibs and uses Castelli's best chamois, the Progetto X2.

Personally, I only wear Castelli bibs exclusively to ensure the same fit (eg:tan lines), feel and comfort on every ride.
My tan lines are not razor sharp and are all over the place. That’s what I get for wearing multiple bib shorts with varying lengths!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

C36

by C36

kode54 wrote: My tan lines are not razor sharp and are all over the place. That’s what I get for wearing multiple bib shorts with varying lengths!
Wait is that a thing for people to have sharp Tanlines rather than trying to somehow hide them and made them less obvious?

andy4g63

by andy4g63

To the OP.
I like many others here, went thru Castelli, Raphael, Assos, etc...

While the Castelli is the best fit for me,

Recently a friend of mine introduced me to a brand called SIROKO.
They are from Spain and ship very fast with DHL, even to US...

I purchased 2 of theirif tier bibs.

I have to tell you they are awesome and the chamois is it me of the best I tried.

Sizing is a little Off.
I am 177.5 cm and 70-72:of and I take XS jersey and S bibs.

I like em tight, but not flow obstructed...

I've done quite a few 100 mile rides this summer, even with a very sore bottom with 2 saddle soresa 65 mile gravel ride and still managed to ride.

Try them out.
Probably the top level chamois should be even better.

Oooh and they cost about $80 or so.

tenja

by tenja

I've tried most of them. I've pretty much gotten down to only using the Assos Cento (have 3-4 old models), and a couple pair of the Specialized RBX bibs. The RBX are way cheaper, but surprisingly work well for me. I'm not a lightweight, so I can't even look at Castelli or Le Col.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Endura Pro SL are my absolute go to!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Have a look at LaPassione.
Winter sale currently on, so plenty of options available at up to 50% off (they seem to run sales throughout the year, so i would never pay RRP).

I have 2 pairs of their winter bibs and they are simply superb - the chamois is very comfortable indeed.

I will be ordering a couple of pairs of summer shorts from them as well for the better weather.
They use an Elastic Interface chamois, the fit is excellent, quality is very good and on sale they are very competitely priced against most 'premium" options out there.

I had never used them until last year, but now have bibs, a jersey and a jacket from them and they are really excellent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com