good cost-performance bibs suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

I find Skins excellent. Their mild compression, lack of inward facing seams, great pads (never any soreness or pressure points for me), good build quality and good value make their bib shorts the best on the market for me. But they've discontinued long bibs for some bizarre reason, and instead suggest you use their thermal short bibs (which they didn't discontinue????) with leg warmers.

Zero7

by Zero7

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:02 am
I've tried many mid to low tier brands/models (from entry-level Assos bib to Probikekit). And I prefer Castelli. I know, it's very mainstream -- it doesn't project the image of "exclusivity". But their Progetto X2 Air pad, which has no crease or stitching whatsoever, works best for me. Also, since Castelli are sold pretty much everywhere, it's much easier to find them on sale. A top-end Castelli on sale is often half the price of a discounted Assos (based on where I live). I'll eventually try other brands such dhb and even MAAP, Rapha and high-end Assos but I doubt they'll beat "on-sale Castelli" in terms of value.
I've tried lots of brands of bibs over the years and have been using Castelli for 2 years now.
I use the Castelli Entrata bibs that have the KISS AIR2 chamois. I tried the Progetto X2 Air chamois and it didn't work for me.
I'm 5' 8" 143 pounds lean muscle build. I wear size small in Castelli and the fit is perfect. Most brand of bibs in size small are too big for me and it's hard to find most brands in size xs.
I like the Entrata also since the logo is stitched in vs the Castelli sticker which normally peels off

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

I have 3 pairs of Voler bibs along with several of their jerseys. Made in California and decently priced versus other brands. They also have a great hand-feel. My oldest have held up a couple of seasons of riding without any signs of wear.
Last edited by MrStop on Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

Excellent set of recommendations, couldn't really add much more.
I would comment on saddle approach as alternative; for some of us, with the right saddle, just about any bib works. I use, mainly, Syncros Belcarra and Berk Dila. Riding on over those saddles, I rarely feel uncomfortable.

maurice1

by maurice1

Does anyone know what's going on with Siroko on ali? Has anyone been curious? Even for aliexpress standards they are unbeatable in price ($30 for bibs+jersey) . Are they genuine? (Why would someone counterfeit a budget brand?) Old stock?

blaugrana

by blaugrana

In the last few years my go to have been the Van Rysel shorts from Decathlon. I like the model they used to have for 60€ (their top of the line at the time), which now has been replaced by a 70€ pair (Van Rysel Racer 2) that I still have to try. Their kit is reasonably priced (like actually cheap, not "hey, at least it's not 250€" cheap), it fits well and the finish is good (not Assos, but still nothing to complain about.

Also, the seat pads are made by Elastic Interface, so they are they are really good. A bit on the thinner side when compared to what's used on some high end bibs, which I actually prefer. They adapt really well to the body, are not too bulky, but still have enough cushioning to spend all day on the saddle.

I wouldn't buy their jackets because at their price points they simply can't afford to use the best membranes, but for summer kit they really are a great option. Breathable stretchy fabrics have existed for years, this is not rocket science, and there is no reason why bibs or jerseys of decent quality have to cost hunderds of euros.

Takeswood

by Takeswood

I tried Kalas (Alpecin Fenix sponsor) for bibs and jerseys, quality is very good for the price. There are som discount during the year and you can get it at a very good price. Pad's of the bibs is deisgned by Elastic Interface with 12/14mm thickness. I like it !

thirdsun

by thirdsun

My vote goes to the dhb Aeron Bibs. Frequently on sale at Wiggle. I jsut bought anther pair for less than 50 €. These days they are my favorite bibs regardless of pricing. I prefer them to Rapha (Core Series), Castelli (Endurance 3) and Assos (Mille GT).
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

MrStop

by MrStop

I have some dhp Aeron thermal bibs and agree that they are very nice

wooger

by wooger

Endura Pro SL are beautiful bibs, available in multiple lengths and pad widths, and always on sale somewhere.

winterorb

by winterorb

wooger wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:02 pm
Endura Pro SL are beautiful bibs, available in multiple lengths and pad widths, and always on sale somewhere.
I second this. have four pairs rotating amongst my wardrobe currently despite having tried before assos, rapha, etc.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Pactimo are very nice...and quite a deal when on sale (which is often...incl now).

C36

by C36

This topic makes be a bit uncomfortable seeing 1) the amount of "boutique" brands that grew-up like mushrooms after a rainy day, with crazy prices under a "premium" image that has no roots 2) feeling we make a good deal when we have a 200e+ bib discounted (most of the year...) to 40, 50% or more... that should be their real price and even then that would not be justified.

When you see a Castelli Aero bib @ 130e all year long (and sub 90 in discounted periods), I can't get my head around that anyone should pay more (they have proprietary pannels construction, proprietary pads... something none of the boutique-brands have). Since that is not what I would call really "cheap", Virklon is a fantastic alternative, they will get you for 90e (60 during summer or november discount), the best Elastic Interface pad (Road Perf. Force Hybrid) and full custom length, grips, pockets and colours... and manufactured in Europe.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

C36 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:04 pm
This topic makes be a bit uncomfortable seeing 1) the amount of "boutique" brands that grew-up like mushrooms after a rainy day, with crazy prices under a "premium" image that has no roots 2) feeling we make a good deal when we have a 200e+ bib discounted (most of the year...) to 40, 50% or more... that should be their real price and even then that would not be justified.
Ironically all these brands go for the wealthy middle aged men high end market because it's a lot easier to get into. When you are doing low volume and outsource your manufacturing, it's hard to compete on price with the established good value brands. But making profit on 150+€ jerseys and 200+€ bibs is not that hard, as long as you have a good design and can actually get people to buy your stuff. Of course the "kind of looks like Rapha, but uncool people don't yet know about it so I can feel special wearing it" market is a bit saturated now, but the ones that manage to succeed can make a lot of easy money.

naavt

by naavt

I've come to an understanding that bibs is quite like saddles IMHO. What is best to some is not as good to others. I cannot use Assos or Castelli without any major discomfort. Curiously, I'm happier with some simple K10 Gobiks than an expensive bib from the other 2.

Anyway, the bibs that fit me the best are from Sportful. From the cheapest to the most expensive, they are the ones I like the most.

On the other hand I have a very high respect for all the winter baselayers from Craft and very keen to try out their bibs on a near future.
Last edited by naavt on Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com