Bianchi Oltre RC 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Madone69

by Madone69

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:00 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:26 pm
According to Cycling News, the UCI stated in an e mail to the publication that it deems the air deflectors illegal (outside UCI rules). If true, oops.
But what's the fuss. They don't sponsor even a UCI pro team (though things may be different in 2023),

Arkéa-Samsic are moving from Canyon bikes to Bianchi as they step up to the WorldTour :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drexel75

by drexel75

Madone69 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:30 pm
Cemicar wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:00 pm
Stendhal wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:26 pm
According to Cycling News, the UCI stated in an e mail to the publication that it deems the air deflectors illegal (outside UCI rules). If true, oops.
But what's the fuss. They don't sponsor even a UCI pro team (though things may be different in 2023),

Arkéa-Samsic are moving from Canyon bikes to Bianchi as they step up to the WorldTour :thumbup:
From what I've heard the only reason Bianchi weren't supplying a World Tour team last year was that the team pulled out at the last minute. Bikes were all painted in team colours and good to go but the team pulled out for a reason that I am not aware of.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:00 pm
BigPoser wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:03 am
It's ugly as sin. A huge thumbs down for Bianchi on this one.

Regarding aero, all of these companies that market a time savings at 45kph is crap. Most normal people can't sustain that kind of speed for very long anyway. And if you're racing, you're usually in a peloton.

Race bikes are legitimately meant for people who race, so 45km/h tests are just fine. Sure, the peloton is the great equalizer…until it isn’t. Breakaways do happen, and sometimes they succeed.
So how many normal folk do you think can actually hold 28mph for any real length of time? I doubt that many. Even racers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigPoser wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:07 am

So how many normal folk do you think can actually hold 28mph for any real length of time? I doubt that many. Even racers.

28mph is bare minimum what it takes to stick a break in a random NorCal P12 crit, and only because the big teams let you. It's not enough to stick a break at bigger races like Intelligentsia, TOAD, Tulsa Tough, or Redlands, Tour of the Gila, Green Mountain, etc.

Hell, even our masters crits usually average around 28mph, so if you want to win a from a break you better be doing 28.1.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:15 am
BigPoser wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:07 am

28mph is bare minimum what it takes to stick a break in a random NorCal P12 crit, and only because the big teams let you. It's not enough to stick a break at bigger races like Intelligentsia, TOAD, Tulsa Tough, or Redlands, Tour of the Gila, Green Mountain, etc.

Hell, even our masters crits usually average around 28mph, so if you want to win a from a break you better be doing 28.1.
I would agree and it proves my point. There aren't too many racers that can hold 28 unless they're in a group let alone non racers. There are even less that can hold more than that. The majority of people that will likely buy this bike, at least IMO, will be non racer who will NEVER even see the aero benefits anyways. And that's if the stats actually hold any water to begin with. Bikes can only be so aero. The majority of all aero gains come from rider positioning anyway.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigPoser wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:27 am

I would agree and it proves my point. There aren't too many racers that can hold 28 unless they're in a group let alone non racers. There are even less that can hold more than that. The majority of people that will likely buy this bike, at least IMO, will be non racer who will NEVER even see the aero benefits anyways. And that's if the stats actually hold any water to begin with. Bikes can only be so aero. The majority of all aero gains come from rider positioning anyway.

It's still a race bike. It's meant to be going at race speeds regardless of what most people buying one will do with it. Using 45km/h as a benchmark is completely fine. I'd laugh so hard if a company marketed a $15000 aero race bike with fancy charts normalized around 30km/h.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I agree with tobin here for sure.. My closed club champs averaged just under 45kmh for the hour or so long crit with sections of that race around 50kmh.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Yeah but in groups what is the local average wind speed the bike sees when the group is riding 45kph? Probably 35kph? The local wind speed is what matters for aero, not the ground speed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:02 am
Yeah but in groups what is the local average wind speed the bike sees when the group is riding 45kph? Probably 35kph? The local wind speed is what matters for aero, not the ground speed.
Races are dynamic. You attack, you stay away, you rotate, you get caught, you rest, you attack again. There will be times where you are in crosswinds. There will be tailwind sections where everyone is strung out at >55km/h. There will be intentional splits that you need to jump across.

It doesn't matter if most of the race is spent in the draft...every type of racer will leverage their strengths in the key moment where aeroness or lightness matters.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

BigPoser wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:27 am
That's all fine - but does it need to be rehashed to death every time any aero bike is released? It's not the bike brands' fault (even though they know it's going to happen) that fat and slow people will buy the bike and not use it for it's intended purpose.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

^ if the bike inspires them to ride, then that's a win

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

BigBoyND wrote:Yeah but in groups what is the local average wind speed the bike sees when the group is riding 45kph? Probably 35kph? The local wind speed is what matters for aero, not the ground speed.
2 guys nipped off for 35/40 mins in a two up break doing those sorts of speeds... In those situations you want all the gains u can get.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Look, I get it...I race too and we average 26-29 depending on the race. The fact remains that MOST normal people can't hold 28mph by themselves for more than a few minutes, let alone for an hour, without the help of group pulling them along. Can some do it? Yes. I just get tired of hearing, "You'll save 4212 seconds in 45k doing 45kph.". Every new aero bike that comes out has virutally the same claim. It get's old hearing since they're are sooooo many variables to take into consideration.

But alas, there are those that continue to drink the Kool Aid and think they'll get the same savings just by buying this ugly bike. I suppose that's the beauty of marketing. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

BigPoser wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:57 pm
Look, I get it...I race too and we average 26-29 depending on the race. The fact remains that MOST normal people can't hold 28mph by themselves for more than a few minutes, let alone for an hour, without the help of group pulling them along. Can some do it? Yes. I just get tired of hearing, "You'll save 4212 seconds in 45k doing 45kph.". Every new aero bike that comes out has virutally the same claim. It get's old hearing since they're are sooooo many variables to take into consideration.

But alas, there are those that continue to drink the Kool Aid and think they'll get the same savings just by buying this ugly bike. I suppose that's the beauty of marketing. Maybe I'm just out of touch.
You'll also save 4300 seconds in 45k doing 20 kph

Zero7

by Zero7

Fugly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com