NEW Trek Emonda ALR 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apr46

by apr46

rothwem wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:01 pm
Damn that looks clean. I think the SMR stuff is only for Di2 or etap though, right? I have an SMR handlebar and I can't see how the mechanical cables could be routed.
Thanks!

You dont lose any volume with these adapters. FSA says you can do 4 cables and hoses and well...you can physically make them fit. The routing hole in the stem is large so you avoid weird cable bends there. That said, I personally would run electronic.

rothwem

by rothwem

apr46 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:47 pm
rothwem wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:01 pm
Damn that looks clean. I think the SMR stuff is only for Di2 or etap though, right? I have an SMR handlebar and I can't see how the mechanical cables could be routed.
Thanks!

You dont lose any volume with these adapters. FSA says you can do 4 cables and hoses and well...you can physically make them fit. The routing hole in the stem is large so you avoid weird cable bends there. That said, I personally would run electronic.
Hmm, interesting. I've already got the mechanical R8000 group but maybe I'll try stuffing the cables through the bar hole to see how it goes. If I can't get it in there I won't order the stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justdank

by justdank

Once you go Di2, you wont want to touch mechanical. It's just so much easier for everything.

rothwem

by rothwem

justdank wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 am
Once you go Di2, you wont want to touch mechanical. It's just so much easier for everything.
Pssh. I'm morally and financially opposed to Di2 :mrgreen: It was hard enough for me to go hydro disc for a road bike, baby steps.

justdank

by justdank

flickerracing wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm
Hi! The Flicker bikes are ours. Aprotobike printed 8x of these dust covers and was super responsive throughout the process. They work perfectly.

While the Trek bearing is a 36x45 and mates with the FSA c-ring, the FSA ACR dust cover does NOT work with the ALR. There is a large gap between the bottom of the dust cover and the top edge of the head tube. The Trek bearing is not recessed in the headtube at all.

The ONLY way to use an FSA stem with a '24 ALR is with the 36 degree Deda c-ring and a custom dust cover from Aprotobike. It's a beautiful integration when it is done, though, and allows use of regular ACR spacers and any ACR stem/ barstem.
What option is the one in the photo on Aprotobike website?

justdank

by justdank

rothwem wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:04 pm
justdank wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 am
Pssh. I'm morally and financially opposed to Di2 :mrgreen: It was hard enough for me to go hydro disc for a road bike, baby steps.
So was I coming off mech super record my previous 2 bikes.

apr46

by apr46

justdank wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:33 am
flickerracing wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm
Hi! The Flicker bikes are ours. Aprotobike printed 8x of these dust covers and was super responsive throughout the process. They work perfectly.

While the Trek bearing is a 36x45 and mates with the FSA c-ring, the FSA ACR dust cover does NOT work with the ALR. There is a large gap between the bottom of the dust cover and the top edge of the head tube. The Trek bearing is not recessed in the headtube at all.

The ONLY way to use an FSA stem with a '24 ALR is with the 36 degree Deda c-ring and a custom dust cover from Aprotobike. It's a beautiful integration when it is done, though, and allows use of regular ACR spacers and any ACR stem/ barstem.
What option is the one in the photo on Aprotobike website?
Hey very much appreciate the interest. I have tried replying to your email a couple of times from a couple of different email addresses. Maybe check your spam folder? I do appologize, I am halfway migrating my website to Shopify, so things are less than ideal on that front.

This are the specific items @FlickerRacing is using on their bikes:
https://aproto.myshopify.com/products/l ... 2463367423

The +1mm exposed bearing option is the best fit for these bikes with the 36 degree Deda C-Ring. If you can source the C-Ring yourself, you certainly can. I sell them at my cost which is higher than MSRP right now due to limited shipping options from Deda.

justdank

by justdank

Awesome thank you. I checked both my email addresses (not sure which one I sent from) and didn't see anything.
Thanks for getting back to me on here though, I thought I had a 36 c ring but mine is 45, so I'd prob just get both from you for ease.

justdank

by justdank

Keep us updated on the Domane ring top cap, I just grabbed one from the trek store. Much easier to acquire than the 36 c-ring

apr46

by apr46

I mailed my first batch of samples to get feedback on the design today. My own test fits were good, but I want to make sure that they preload consistently and have a few installs completed. I have a second batch arriving next week, so I am still a couple weeks out from officially listing them for sale. I suspect one of the drawbacks is that these will be less consistent in terms of closing the gap over the bearing.

The Deda-based design is proven so other than the lead time, those are good to go.

morrisond

by morrisond

Is the FD hangar removeable if you run it 1X? Anyone done it? Pics? Do 32mm GP5's really fit?

rothwem

by rothwem

Well I finally got mine built up and did the first ride today. I need a different stem, this one was calculated to fit with a slammed setup but I'm obviously not on that. This is a 130mm/6°, I'm going to get a 130mm/17° and if that still isn't enough I might go 140mm...never thought I'd use a 140mm stem ever.
Emonda.jpg
I went with the stock topcap, I couldn't get the Cervelo one flush enough. I tried shaving it a bit, but there's too many contact points. If someone else wants to try it, be my guest, I'll ship the parts to you to try it out, just send me a PM with your address.

By shaving the split ring though, I was able to get the stock cap pretty flush. I don't love the bearing exposure from the cable port, but I might take a piece of electrical tape and poke some holes in it for the cables and fit it to the bearing cap to try to make a boot of sorts.

As for ride impressions: its really stable feeling, like you could sit up and eat your lunch for a half hour with no hands. Looking behind at traffic is no big deal, it tracks straight as hell. It doesn't feel very racey, but that could also be due to the current position being a bit off for me. The front end is very stiff, the BB doesn't feel *un*stiff, but it doesn't feel as snappy as other bikes I've ridden. It could be that stiff front end making it feel meh in comparison. I need to ride this thing some more and beat on it a bit to get a better feel for it.

rothwem

by rothwem

morrisond wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:11 pm
Is the FD hangar removeable if you run it 1X? Anyone done it? Pics? Do 32mm GP5's really fit?
The FD hanger is just riveted on, so I guess if you were feeling really adventurous you could drill out the rivets. Its not something I'd do though, I'm pretty hardcore on team 2x for road bike riding.

As for 32mm GP5000s, yeah they'd probably fit. There's a ton of space on these things. I've got a set of Michelin 28s that typically inflate to 30 on regular rims mounted onto a set of 25mm internal carbon wheels on mine, and there's a ton of room left. I could probably mount cross tires on this thing.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

I want to dig back up the possibility of the Sworks Tarmac Sl7 stem. I'm thinking it is possible and would fit the look of the bike really really well.

That stem is the best solution for semi integrated routing available in terms of weight and functionality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

fizzaz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 pm
I want to dig back up the possibility of the Sworks Tarmac Sl7 stem. I'm thinking it is possible and would fit the look of the bike really really well.

That stem is the best solution for semi integrated routing available in terms of weight and functionality.
Since this is weight weenies, I should mention that the SL7 stem is an f-ing boat anchor. It does look pretty clean though.