NEW Trek Emonda ALR 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

regularguy

by regularguy

To answer your other question, all other sports use carbon in their equipment because . . . people pay a lot of money for it! Companies would sell you wood, rubber, or Jell-O racquets if people bought them. I'm not anti-carbon, but just trying to make it clear that the gap is so small now between carbon and other materials which makes the negatives of carbon more apparent. It seems there is a big window for AL to swoop in, and the biggest hurdle is really perception.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

regularguy wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 am
To answer your other question, all other sports use carbon in their equipment because . . . people pay a lot of money for it! Companies would sell you wood, rubber, or Jell-O racquets if people bought them. I'm not anti-carbon, but just trying to make it clear that the gap is so small now between carbon and other materials which makes the negatives of carbon more apparent. It seems there is a big window for AL to swoop in, and the biggest hurdle is really perception.

I played tennis from the early 90s onward and carbon wasn't marketed as some wonder material... All competitive racquets were already carbon, even the pretty inexpensive ones. It was simply a better material than alloy and no amount of research is going to change that. Better strength-to-weight, better vibration damping, easier to ballast, etc. No, the marketing dollars were put into augmenting the carbon racquets with built-in gel dampers, zig-zag string holes, odd shaped heads, fancier strings that generated more power/topspin/control/whatever.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

regularguy wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 am
Wrong. Carbon was used well before it was such incremental gains as it is today for its significant step up in capability. As Tobin stated for rackets, I had Ti rackets before carbon and they were not a big step up in price, but a huge performance improvement. The stifness, damping, weight were night and day. Note, I started playing with WOOD rackets like you joked. So no, the material matters and it is well beyond just the price point. Each of the rackets I used were hand me downs, so I didn't care at all what they were priced at.

Which racing Al frame has an Al fork as an option? Emonda ALR? CAAD 10/12/13? Specialized Allez? My Trek 7500 FX had an Al fork, but it was not in any way a performance bike. I can't remember what that thing even weighed. Was a fun commuter though before it was stolen

The gap is so small between carbon and Al that you can get a 580 gram carbon frame or a 1050 gram Aluminum frame. Ok... How about seatposts, what's the lightest Al seatpost compared to carbon? If price is an issue, there's any number of AliExpress frames cheaper than Al frames listed above while being lighter. Now it's you playing the marketing game.

Al has a very special spot in my heart. I learned to ride on a Trek 1220 and my CAAD 10 has served me through the period I lost 100 pounds.

I have ridden lots of steel, bikes with chromoly steel forks, carbon forks, the lot.

The only benefit to Al is crashability failure mode and "price" if you refuse to go the Chinese carbon route.

But your statements about material capability are not grounded in reality

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Haha yeah, we had couple wooden Wilsons and aluminum Spaldings in the home growing up. By the late 80s, carbon had already swept the industry and taken over.

regularguy

by regularguy

Ok, good, so we've all agreed that carbon is inferior in all regards and has no merits.

Back to the original posting, does anyone have any update on this bike's release? Also, do you think that the absence of a FD mount on the frameset render will translate to no FD mount in the real frameset offering?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

regularguy wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:17 am
Ok, good, so we've all agreed that carbon is inferior in all regards and has no merits.

Back to the original posting, does anyone have any update on this bike's release? Also, do you think that the absence of a FD mount on the frameset render will translate to no FD mount in the real frameset offering?

Of course there will be a FD hanger. Whether it’s bolt-on is the only question. My baseless assumption is a late November announcement.

regularguy

by regularguy

Yes, I obviously meant a fixed FD hanger.

OP, any more release info?

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

Having spoken to my LBS about this frameset they explained it was possible to order from stock due to arrive in the Netherlands in late Nov.

Sadly, I came to the conclusion I have too many bikes already and if I bought this one it just wouldn't get ridden enough to justify me buying it. I realise this is very much again the N+1 ethos, but there are only so many miles I can ride and even less space I have in which to keep my bicycles. I just need the children to leave home and I can use their bedrooms for bike storage.

rhender

by rhender

WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:43 pm
Having spoken to my LBS about this frameset they explained it was possible to order from stock due to arrive in the Netherlands in late Nov.

Sadly, I came to the conclusion I have too many bikes already and if I bought this one it just wouldn't get ridden enough to justify me buying it. I relise this is very much again the N+1 ethos, but there are only so many miles I can ride and even less space I have in which to keep my bicycles. I just need the children to leave home and I can use their bedrooms for bike storage.
Despite also having too many bikes and not enough space or time, your cogent, anti-consumerist point will have no effect on me.

That's a pretty incredible estimate given we still haven't seen pictures of the actual bike. Going to give my local trek dealer a call this afternoon and see if I can get a pre-order in as well but would really love some more details before I commit.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

On the trek page it has the emonda ALR losted for 2022-2023, so nothing new? Looks like the previous ones too..

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Web page updated with an actual image of the bike!!

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bik ... 023-p43513

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It looks like a bike, I like it. £1999 even feels reasonable compared to £2900 for the Allez.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Yeah honestly, sold. 32-34ish tire clearance looks possible. This is something the market actually needed*

*all of this predicated on a reasonable price.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 pm
Yeah honestly, sold. 32-34ish tire clearance looks possible. This is something the market actually needed*

Plus it has a round seatpost unlike the Allez. It'll automatically be more comfortable and maybe lighter as a bonus. Let's face it, at this level, you've punted pure performance so basic comfort seems like an easy trade-off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Trek is notoriously conservative so yeah, with them saying 28c, I'd hope 32c would be possible (not that I'd be running larger than 30c)

£1,200 for the frameset seems pretty reasonable in light of other players in the market!

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... 023-p43514