muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jrsq270

by Jrsq270

FYI: Be careful with GCN and many other influencers.

They are paid to promote products. They have a massive audience.

Jagged

by Jagged

Muc off stains kit, doesn't work that well and will glue itself to your frame if you don't immediately remove it. Took Goof Off and a lot of scrubbing to remove it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jagged wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:28 am
Muc off stains kit, doesn't work that well and will glue itself to your frame if you don't immediately remove it. Took Goof Off and a lot of scrubbing to remove it.
Plus it’s quite viscous so you need to use more of it to keep it freely flowing inside the tire. When I first tried it, I was puzzled at why the airgaps around my valve weren’t sealing. Turns out 30mL of Muc-Off inside a 25mm tire really doesn’t work that well in practice.

Also it smells like berry candy and your pets might try to eat it.

splzd

by splzd

I'm using MucOff on my road bikes as well as on my CX and MTB. It sealed a bunch of holes in the last two to three years, most times I didn't notice until I got home. Two times I had to use an aditional tire plug (big snake bites on my CX), but got home everytime - and I don't carry a tube at all.
MucOff stays liquid for many months, but I check every three. I'm using an app for maintaining my bikes (Pro Bike Garage) which makes it easy to keep track. Sometimes I top up the sealant after a few months, but most of the times (espacially on the road bikes) I even don't have to do that - the sealant stays liquid until the tire is worn out.

kervelo

by kervelo

I use Orange Seal Endurance and have no plans to switch to any other brand. I still find it useful to hear how the other brands work, for example when a new product is released.

Has someone already tested the Dynamic Barkeeper sealant?
https://dynamicbikecare.com/product/barkeeper/

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I got given a litre of Muc Off sealant, it works well on gravel on MTB tyres but is useless with road tyres in my experience. Clearly a sealant not designed for higher pressures.

Only reason to buy it over Orange Seal is that it smells nicer.

I would say though that I also have good experience with Stan's Race sealant for all tyres but Orange Seal is probably the gold standard.

AnthonyE

by AnthonyE

I'm curious why I don't see that many running Silca. I've had my eye on it for a bit but need to use up the Orange Seal I have to try it out. Other than not being able to run it through the valve it looks like it is the best performing stuff out there.

cerro

by cerro

AnthonyE wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:53 pm
I'm curious why I don't see that many running Silca. I've had my eye on it for a bit but need to use up the Orange Seal I have to try it out. Other than not being able to run it through the valve it looks like it is the best performing stuff out there.
Hard to get. I would like to try it, and their wax too.

I work in a store selling Muc-Off products mostly but only Orange Sealant as no one has good experience with Muc-Off's sealant. Orange works with every tire and rim combination and doesn't ruin clothes and bikes.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:20 pm
Have you even tried Orange Seal? As it turns out, our personal experiences beat media reviews and random YouTubers. I guarantee that I've tried more sealants than you have, and the one round-up that aligns closest with my own testing is one from SlowTwitch more than 6 years ago. MTBR and SlowTwitch have, collectively speaking, a ton more experience with MTB and road tubeless than WW does.

Orange Seal doesn't just seal better in the real world, it coats and dries more effectively than anything else. On a related note, it also peels off more easily than anything else due to those same properties. Have a tire with a porous casing that weeps or loses more air than you care for? Use Orange Seal. Using a DynaPlug? Orange Seal interacts better with DynaPlugs than anything else.
Personal user and random Youtuber here (we can do both). Used to love orange seal until if failed spectacularly at Unbound for me this year. Granted, I blame the tires more than the sealant AND this was gravel use not road. I had no issue with Orange Seal for road.

I had a front tire cut, which looked gnarly on the outside but only had probably a 2-3mm cut on the inside showered orange seal and flatted in seconds. Had to tube. Rear had two cuts, the smaller of the two sealed, but the second would not seal even with a dynaplug. What was the worst is that it was a relatively slow leak that wouldn't seal with orange seal (deflated in ~10 minutes).

I'm giving Muc Off a try now.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

MikeD

by MikeD

JMeinholdt wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:20 pm
Have you even tried Orange Seal? As it turns out, our personal experiences beat media reviews and random YouTubers. I guarantee that I've tried more sealants than you have, and the one round-up that aligns closest with my own testing is one from SlowTwitch more than 6 years ago. MTBR and SlowTwitch have, collectively speaking, a ton more experience with MTB and road tubeless than WW does.

Orange Seal doesn't just seal better in the real world, it coats and dries more effectively than anything else. On a related note, it also peels off more easily than anything else due to those same properties. Have a tire with a porous casing that weeps or loses more air than you care for? Use Orange Seal. Using a DynaPlug? Orange Seal interacts better with DynaPlugs than anything else.
Personal user and random Youtuber here (we can do both). Used to love orange seal until if failed spectacularly at Unbound for me this year. Granted, I blame the tires more than the sealant AND this was gravel use not road. I had no issue with Orange Seal for road.

I had a front tire cut, which looked gnarly on the outside but only had probably a 2-3mm cut on the inside showered orange seal and flatted in seconds. Had to tube. Rear had two cuts, the smaller of the two sealed, but the second would not seal even with a dynaplug. What was the worst is that it was a relatively slow leak that wouldn't seal with orange seal (deflated in ~10 minutes).

I'm giving Muc Off a try now.
I don't think any sealant works well on cuts.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

AnthonyE wrote:
There is another thread on people's experience with silca. Short answer, for many people the carbon balls up almost immediately so any benefit is lost in a couple days. Silca claims this was largely a production problem and they have it sorted out now, however, silca eats most rim tapes. Myself and several others have had silca create holes in the tape which is a catastrophic failure (phone call to get home). I have had great luck with other silca products so I was really disappointed to have this fail so bad.
My experience with orange seal has largely mimicked the reviews. It's fine, but not that much better than other options, so I am definitely open to trying something else. I was really excited for silca, but that was a disaster so now I'm back on orange seal and wondering if something better is out there.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

whataboutEee wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:17 pm
AnthonyE wrote:
There is another thread on people's experience with silca. Short answer, for many people the carbon balls up almost immediately so any benefit is lost in a couple days. Silca claims this was largely a production problem and they have it sorted out now, however, silca eats most rim tapes. Myself and several others have had silca create holes in the tape which is a catastrophic failure (phone call to get home). I have had great luck with other silca products so I was really disappointed to have this fail so bad.
My experience with orange seal has largely mimicked the reviews. It's fine, but not that much better than other options, so I am definitely open to trying something else. I was really excited for silca, but that was a disaster so now I'm back on orange seal and wondering if something better is out there.
I was one in that thread with a horrendous experience and a lot of hard work to get my tyres free of it. Back to Orange Seal and been perfect the last 2/3 months.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I have used MucOff for this entire season with mixed results. It has sealed some puntures pretty well but like others have said it is really hard to get off your frame after it has dried on. I have found it to perform really well in the dry, but the problem for me came in the wet.

I had a some puntures on a couple different wet rides that just would not seal at all. And these weren't huge gapping holes either, we're talking fairly small punctures that just would not seal. I had to plug the holes on both occassions and they still weren't holding 100%. MucOff sealant does not like water and in my case will not seal unless you get the puncture in a dry environment. So it's this reason alone that I'll be switching sealants next season and will most likely go with Orange.

MikeD

by MikeD

EsotericCyclist wrote:I have used MucOff for this entire season with mixed results. It has sealed some puntures pretty well but like others have said it is really hard to get off your frame after it has dried on. I have found it to perform really well in the dry, but the problem for me came in the wet.

I had a some puntures on a couple different wet rides that just would not seal at all. And these weren't huge gapping holes either, we're talking fairly small punctures that just would not seal. I had to plug the holes on both occassions and they still weren't holding 100%. MucOff sealant does not like water and in my case will not seal unless you get the puncture in a dry environment. So it's this reason alone that I'll be switching sealants next season and will most likely go with Orange.
Maybe no sealants like water. The sealant has to dry to work, no?

Stueys

by Stueys

Jagged wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:28 am
I've been running Muc Off for a while, it failed to seal a puncture in my gravel tyre which I then needed to plug. It was a resonably sized hole though. I can vouch for the fact that it's near impossible to get off the frame once dry though, the stuff is like superglue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com