muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Jasonlelam wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:34 am
Maddie wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Because testers are often paid by manufacturers
Quite true. I had a chance tried out muc-off but can hardly said it worked well, so I turned back to Stans the other day. :noidea:
Perhaps. It is more likely though that testers aren't really testing longterm because they have so many different bikes / tyres / etc which they have to swap all the time. I'm not testing stuff, but I am industry, and it is rare that tyres wear out fully before they are changed etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Stueys wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:56 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:30 pm
Stan's isn't as good as OS at higher pressure IME. First sealant I ever bought was Stan's, and it was a major disappointment. The bottomline is: if you have trouble with road tubeless don't dismiss it or bother moaning about it until you're using OS and carry Dynaplugs. By all means stick with it if you've got something else that works for you, but 6+ years / 50k miles of road tubeless in all weathers trying different sealant brands and plug systems tells me that OS (reg) + Dynaplugs is the recipe for success, particularly if you're running at higher pressures e.g. 25 mm tyres at > 80 PSI / 5.5 bar.
I'd agree with this, though I would say that I found Stans Race to be pretty good.
My main issue with Stans Race is that it cannot be injected through the valve, which is a recipe for mess if you have tyres/wheels that are difficult to seat because you end up blowing sealant out of the tyre in your attempts, or you need to clean it out if you have to add another layer of tape.

MikeD

by MikeD

I'm done with Milkit and going back to OS regular. I had a thorn puncture in the center of the tread on a low pressure gravel tire and Milkit would not seal it. I had to pump up the tire 5 times over 20 miles to make it back to the ride start.

da123

by da123

What sealant would anyone recommend for porous / weeping sidewalls? I've not done road tubeless before (though always used it for MTB / gravel and both Stans Race and Muc-Off have worked fine), but my Conti GP5000 TT TLR tires (brand new, not ridden yet) are losing pressure through the sidewalls, and Muc-Off doesn't seem to seal whatever tiny holes exist at all. Stans Race seems to do a slightly better job, but still not perfect. Cheers, Dave

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

da123 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:54 pm
What sealant would anyone recommend for porous / weeping sidewalls? I've not done road tubeless before (though always used it for MTB / gravel and both Stans Race and Muc-Off have worked fine), but my Conti GP5000 TT TLR tires (brand new, not ridden yet) are losing pressure through the sidewalls, and Muc-Off doesn't seem to seal whatever tiny holes exist at all. Stans Race seems to do a slightly better job, but still not perfect. Cheers, Dave

Orange Seal. A thin time trial tire will always lose air faster than tires with thicker casings.

MikeD

by MikeD

I had a flat yesterday where Orange Seal Regular wouldn't seal the puncture except at a low pressure (20 psi or so (estimated)). Had to cut the ride short and limp back on a low tire. I put a bacon strip in when I got home (duh, why didn't I think to do that on the side of the road?) and all is well. The thing is, although it was more than a thorn puncture, the hole wasn't that big (maybe a mm at most). It should have sealed (going by those stab tests...). I put 2 oz. of sealant in a few weeks ago.

bobones

by bobones

Sometimes they just don't seal (sidewall cuts are the worst, but little bits of grit in the hole can prevent the sealant working), so I fire in a Dynaplug rather than faffing around. I don't get on with bacon strips (they always work lose and are a pain to insert), so it's got to be Dynaplugs for me. You might need a razor sharp blade to trim the plug tail if it catches anything while rotating. Dynaplugs are usually a permanent fix if slightly unsightly. If you don't like that, then you can apply a tubeless patch (not stretchy like normal patches - Velox and Hutchinson make them) on the inside when you get home (only clean the area of the patch).