muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Does anyone have any experience with muc-off's tubeless sealant? I just watched GCN's new video on how good are tubeless tires, and the muc-off performed really impressively in their "tests." It also did really well in the cycling weekly video that silca performed so good in. After the silca sealant melted holes in my rim tape, I am back on orange seal. I have nothing against orange seal, but I think there is room for improvement and muc-off looks intriguing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

I have it and don't rate it at all: it doesn't seal innocuous holes, and it's a horrible, thick, purple gloop. Price was the only thing going for it. After dallying with quite a few different sealants (including Milkit and Silca), stick to Orange Seal (Original) is my advice.

cerro

by cerro

bobones wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:05 pm
I have it and don't rate it at all: it doesn't seal innocuous holes, and it's a horrible, thick, purple gloop. Price was the only thing going for it. After dallying with quite a few different sealants (including Milkit and Silca), stick to Orange Seal (Original) is my advice.
Totally agree. Stay away and get some good sealant like Orange, Stans or whatever you like.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

Why are forums so wedded to Orange Seal, but in all the tests I've seen it scores middling at best???

Maddie

by Maddie

Because testers are often paid by manufacturers

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rwoofer wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:34 pm
Why are forums so wedded to Orange Seal, but in all the tests I've seen it scores middling at best???

Because real life isn’t stabbing tires with picks.

WW certainly isn’t wed to Orange Seal, though I wish it was. WW is one of the most stubborn forums when it comes to tubeless. It’s like many are trying to sabotage their own tubeless trials by using less effective products.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

I have run muc off sealant in my MTB, Gravel and CX tyres for the last two years.
I have been happy with it- it Lasts ages in different temps (6 months+) and has sealed up some decent sized holes. The muc off sealant and glue remover cleans ups frames nicely.

I am testing it in some Corsa next 28mm tyres for road use at the moment. It's thicker than most so not sure how it will behave at higher pressures.

Orange seal is excellent but I find it dries out relatively quickly and is pricey.

I used to use caffelatex a lot for tubs and other road tubeless setups but it dries out quickly (seems too fast the last few bottles I have used) and is a nightmare to clean off kit and frames.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Orange Seal told me in person that you can either have a sealant that reliably seals or you can have one that lasts longer. They are, as of now, mutually incompatible behaviors. Orange Seal lasts me ~3 months in most tires. Most of my rear tires only last 4 months anyway with my mileage. In some tires like Goodyear Eagle F1s, 40mL of Orange Seal lasts me 5-6 months…and I live in California.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

rwoofer wrote:
This is what keeps bothering me. There are enough tests out there now from all sorts of different people (magazines, websites, random youtubers) and orange seal is pretty much average in all of them. I guess some sealants might do really good when they are first installed (like for the test), but don't do a great job after a few weeks (real world). Looking at you silca.
I know GCN is sponsered by muc-off, but I honestly don't think my tire with orange seal in it would have done as well as muc-off did riding over a board of screws in their video.

MikeD

by MikeD

Maddie wrote:Because testers are often paid by manufacturers
...and anecdotal evidence from some anonymous dudes in an obscure forum is better.

Poddle

by Poddle

Well I've been running Muc-Off sealant for 12 months now and it's sealed 4 punctures - all on 25/28mm road tyres at 80+ PSI - without issue and without the tyre losing more than 20PSI. Maybe I'm just lucky?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

whataboutEee wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:12 pm
rwoofer wrote:
This is what keeps bothering me. There are enough tests out there now from all sorts of different people (magazines, websites, random youtubers) and orange seal is pretty much average in all of them. I guess some sealants might do really good when they are first installed (like for the test), but don't do a great job after a few weeks (real world). Looking at you silca.
I know GCN is sponsered by muc-off, but I honestly don't think my tire with orange seal in it would have done as well as muc-off did riding over a board of screws in their video.

Have you even tried Orange Seal? As it turns out, our personal experiences beat media reviews and random YouTubers. I guarantee that I've tried more sealants than you have, and the one round-up that aligns closest with my own testing is one from SlowTwitch more than 6 years ago. MTBR and SlowTwitch have, collectively speaking, a ton more experience with MTB and road tubeless than WW does.

Orange Seal doesn't just seal better in the real world, it coats and dries more effectively than anything else. On a related note, it also peels off more easily than anything else due to those same properties. Have a tire with a porous casing that weeps or loses more air than you care for? Use Orange Seal. Using a DynaPlug? Orange Seal interacts better with DynaPlugs than anything else.

MikeD wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:27 pm
Maddie wrote:Because testers are often paid by manufacturers
...and anecdotal evidence from some anonymous dudes in an obscure forum is better.
It's anecdotes from many forums. Muc-Off is clearly more popular on WW than anywhere else. And of course there's posters here who are willing to give Silca sealant a third, fourth, fifth or millionth chance.

Poddle wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:00 pm
Well I've been running Muc-Off sealant for 12 months now and it's sealed 4 punctures - all on 25/28mm road tyres at 80+ PSI - without issue and without the tyre losing more than 20PSI. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Losing 20psi from a starting point of 80psi is a lot in my book.

Poddle

by Poddle

It still worked though didn't it? And I'm a fatty at 85kg so I think it does a good job given what I'm asking of it.

MikeD

by MikeD

Orange Seal has been the only sealant I've used until recently. It's worked well but the Endurance formula not. I don't like that you've got to shake the hell out of the bottle to distribute the contents and then it foams up like crazy which makes it hard to measure the proper amount to inject into the tire. I also don't think it's CO2 compatible. Milkit addresses these concerns, but I haven't used it long enough to say it seals as well but I haven't had any flats with it either; so far so good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgrl

by mgrl

Obviously there will be variance but I've had three punctures using mucoff and none sealed; I've had two with orange seal, both of which sealed.