muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

abatty

by abatty

I've only used Effeto Mariposa Caffelatex for 5 years and will be sticking with it. It's not perfect as it dries out fairly quickly and clogs valves, but it does its job sealing small holes (mainly flint induced) in 25mm (winter - frame clearance issue) and 28mm (summer) Conti GP5000 STR road tyres (previously rode IRC, but the Conti's are a marked improvement) Anything that doesn't seal quickly or opens up again gets a Dynaplug.

BBres

by BBres

Which dynaplug version? How hard is it to push it into the tire?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

abatty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:01 pm
Anything that doesn't seal quickly or opens up again gets a Dynaplug.
This. I would've given up on tubeless long ago if it wasn't for these guys. So good they can make a hole airtight even if your sealant has dried up. Needing to fit a tube is a very remote prospect if you've got a few of these in your kit.

I currently carry a mega-pill, which is not the most weightweenie friendly, but I like the preloaded tubes and the little blade for cutting the tails to stop them catching the frame or brake caliper.

abatty

by abatty

Mega-pill for me as well. I've even sealed side-wall flint cuts in 25mm tyres with them. Dead easy to push in. Just don't slice your finger open with the little blade when you can't see what you're doing properly at night :oops:

InSeyne

by InSeyne

@abatty, interested in your comments re the tyres. In what way are the Conti's an improvement over the IRC's? I've been using IRC for about 5 years and am pretty impressed by them.

MikeD

by MikeD

I've only used 3 sealants: Orange Seal regular and endurance and Milkit. Of the 3, OS Endurance was the only one that I had sealing problems with. I think if OS Endurance stays in your tire too long, it fails to seal. I'm currently using Milkit and have gone through a 1 liter bottle without a flat. I will probably go back to OS regular if I have problems but right now I like other qualities of Milkit over OS (doesn't need shaking, long shelf life and lasts longer in the tire, CO2 compatible, easier to clean up...), but in the end, sealing ability is the most important criterion.
Last edited by MikeD on Tue May 30, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abatty

by abatty

InSeyne wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:00 pm
@abatty, interested in your comments re the tyres. In what way are the Conti's an improvement over the IRC's? I've been using IRC for about 5 years and am pretty impressed by them.
I've found the Conti's much easier to mount and get seated - both from new and out in the field if I've needed to put a tube in (now not needed as Dynaplug works so well with big holes). I could probably get away without using washing up liquid to get them seated. I can also remove any dried up sealant from the inside of the tyre much more easily than IRC tyres. And they just seem to roll better. I'm using them on HED Belgium Plus (28mm) and DT R460 (25mm) rims. I just think they are a more modern tyre.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

abatty wrote:
InSeyne wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:00 pm
I've found the Conti's much easier to mount and get seated - both from new and out in the field if I've needed to put a tube in (now not needed as Dynaplug works so well with big holes). I could probably get away without using washing up liquid to get them seated. I can also remove any dried up sealant from the inside of the tyre much more easily than IRC tyres. And they just seem to roll better. I'm using them on HED Belgium Plus (28mm) and DT R460 (25mm) rims. I just think they are a more modern tyre.
Funny. I had the opposite experience fitting 32C GP5000 TR tyres to my Mavic Cosmic SLR32. It needed two of us to get the last bit over the rim. Swapped them out for Veloflex Corsa TLR 32s and they went on much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InSeyne

by InSeyne

I think it's absolutely dependany on wheel/tyre combinations. I recently bought a pair of Veloflex Corsa TLR 25 and fitted them with just my hands! Needless to say they weren't tight enough and required extra layers of rim tape to seal. This is my first time fitting anything other than the IRC's previously mentioned.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

InSeyne wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:11 pm
I think it's absolutely dependany on wheel/tyre combinations. I recently bought a pair of Veloflex Corsa TLR 25 and fitted them with just my hands! Needless to say they weren't tight enough and required extra layers of rim tape to seal. This is my first time fitting anything other than the IRC's previously mentioned.
Veloflex's are pretty notorious for being a loose fit. Always fitted them on with my hands on a variety of rims but as you found, seating them can be tough due to how loose they are.

Be prepared to top up the sealant regularly.

The ride quality is great though so worth the extra hassle IMO.

Yoln

by Yoln

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 pm
Orange Seal told me in person that you can either have a sealant that reliably seals or you can have one that lasts longer. They are, as of now, mutually incompatible behaviors. Orange Seal lasts me ~3 months in most tires. Most of my rear tires only last 4 months anyway with my mileage. In some tires like Goodyear Eagle F1s, 40mL of Orange Seal lasts me 5-6 months…and I live in California.

Sorry Tobin but this is an blanket statement that is largely false. I stopped using Orange sealant for that reason (doesn't last long enough) and since I've started using MucOff (on my MTB and Gravel) I found the best of both worlds, seal just as good as Orange and last at least 3 times longer
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Stueys

by Stueys

I've given up on Muc Off, two punctures now that it's failed to seal (one of which was a gravel tyre that didn't seal even when helped with two Dynaplugs). Back to OS

MikeD

by MikeD

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:13 pm
InSeyne wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:11 pm
Veloflex's are pretty notorious for being a loose fit. Always fitted them on with my hands on a variety of rims but as you found, seating them can be tough due to how loose they are.

Be prepared to top up the sealant regularly.

The ride quality is great though so worth the extra hassle IMO.
I would not ride a loose fitting tire tubeless. That's a recipe for a blow off.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:00 am

I would not ride a loose fitting tire tubeless. That's a recipe for a blow off.
I found them initially tight enough, but the bead diameter stretched more than any other tubeless tire I've tried. So much that I could easily remove the tire by hand just by pulling up on the bead and peeling both sides off the rim at the same time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kitchencity

by kitchencity

bobones wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:48 pm
abatty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:01 pm
Anything that doesn't seal quickly or opens up again gets a Dynaplug.
This. I would've given up on tubeless long ago if it wasn't for these guys. So good they can make a hole airtight even if your sealant has dried up. Needing to fit a tube is a very remote prospect if you've got a few of these in your kit.

I currently carry a mega-pill, which is not the most weightweenie friendly, but I like the preloaded tubes and the little blade for cutting the tails to stop them catching the frame or brake caliper.
Interesting - I've had very limited sucess with Dynaplugs even on relatively small ~3mm cuts. If do they hold pressure they almost always fail after a few hundred miles and I end-up having to pull the tyre and patch on the interior. Adding a second... third similarly fails.

I've used two packs' worth (10) now and not a single one is still in situ... i.e. I've ended up patching the tyre in all cases. There's really no scope for 'doing it wrong' on the install so I think the sealants I've used (Muck-Off and Milkit) must inhibit the bond - what do you use?