muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

kitchencity wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am
bobones wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:48 pm
abatty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:01 pm
Anything that doesn't seal quickly or opens up again gets a Dynaplug.
This. I would've given up on tubeless long ago if it wasn't for these guys. So good they can make a hole airtight even if your sealant has dried up. Needing to fit a tube is a very remote prospect if you've got a few of these in your kit.

I currently carry a mega-pill, which is not the most weightweenie friendly, but I like the preloaded tubes and the little blade for cutting the tails to stop them catching the frame or brake caliper.
Interesting - I've had very limited sucess with Dynaplugs even on relatively small ~3mm cuts. If do they hold pressure they almost always fail after a few hundred miles and I end-up having to pull the tyre and patch on the interior. Adding a second... third similarly fails.

I've used two packs' worth (10) now and not a single one is still in situ... i.e. I've ended up patching the tyre in all cases. There's really no scope for 'doing it wrong' on the install so I think the sealants I've used (Muck-Off and Milkit) must inhibit the bond - what do you use?
I've used all sorts of different sealants including Muc-Off and Milkit, but my go to is Orange Seal regular.

When you say "failed", do you mean the little brass tip falls into the tyre and the plug gets ejected, or do you just not get an airtight seal around the plug?

If the former, then you need to adjust your technique to avoid losing the brass tip. If the latter, then, if there is no immediate stemming of the air leak with one Dynaplug, you need to squeeze in a second (or more) along side the first right away. You don't need the assistance of the sealant for Dynaplugs to work, but they need to be a tight fit.

I'm currently riding tyres with Dynaplugs still in them, thousands of miles and many months after their initial insertion.

I really don't rate Muc-Off or Milkit and find that they continue to ooze or bubble and are not effective for permanent sealing.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

do you mean the little brass tip falls into the tyre and the plug gets ejected
No, I've never had that occur.
,do you just not get an airtight seal around the plug?
Often not. At which point I put a second in which thus far has allowed me to limp home at reduced pressure. Sometimes they've worked and then failed miles later, none have lastted long-term. This was across Pirelli Cinturatos and GP5000S TRs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

bobones wrote:
I really don't rate Muc-Off or Milkit and find that they continue to ooze or bubble and are not effective for permanent sealing.
I've noticed that too, except that it happens on my Gravelking SS tires and not the Mavic Yksilon tires I have. I wonder if it would do this on new tires (not ones that I had another brand of sealant in). Although the Orange Seal was pretty dried up in the tires before I put Milkit sealant in, I did not clean out the tires of the old dried and residual liquid sealant.

MikeD

by MikeD

I wrote to Milkit and this is what they said:

"we are not aware of an incompatibility but we do always recommend to fully clean the tire as we otherwise can not guarantee the reaction and function of our sealant.

We have never heard of this issue before, so it might actually be some sort of interaction between the two sealants."

I put on a new tire with Milkit. I'll see down the road if there is any weeping or bubbling at punctures. I could not peel the Orange Seal off the inside of my old tire.

MikeD

by MikeD

Deleted.
Last edited by MikeD on Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD

by MikeD

Deleted.
Last edited by MikeD on Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD

by MikeD

MikeD wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:26 pm
I wrote to Milkit and this is what they said:

"we are not aware of an incompatibility but we do always recommend to fully clean the tire as we otherwise can not guarantee the reaction and function of our sealant.

We have never heard of this issue before, so it might actually be some sort of interaction between the two sealants."

I put on a new tire with Milkit. I'll see down the road if there is any weeping or bubbling at punctures. I could not peel the Orange Seal off the inside of my old tire.
I think I'm about to go back to Orange Seal Regular from Milkit. I took my tire off to clean the old sealant out, remounted and Milkit was bubbling at the bead. It took quite a while to seal. I've also found that Milkit thickens up significantly in the tire and doesn't seem to last as long as they advertise. I poured a little out on a piece of paper and after many hours it's still liquid. Isn't it supposed to harden? Maybe I got a bad batch. I got another flat recently. Tire pressure dropped to about 20 psi and I shortened the ride. Didn't see the puncture. Seemed to seal at that pressure and I pumped up the tire. Checked the sealant level at home and it was low. Put new sealant in and the tire sealed. My first bottle of Milkit seemed good but did notice weeping and clear liquid at the site of some punctures after a while. They should have sealed. Seems to me that Milkit doesn't permanently seal punctures. It thickens (becomes much thicker than when poured from the bottle) and may be too viscous to flow around the inside of the tire and rim to work effectively. I really wanted to like this stuff but don't want to have it fail on the road and have to put a tube in and deal with that mess.

Another thing, this sealant becomes so thick that you can't really gage how much is left in the tire after a time in the tire (by using the end of a zip tie as a dip stick) or suck the remainder out, as it coats the inside of the tread but maybe doesn't coat the sidewalls, bead area, or rim bed side very well to seal leaks there.

Muc-Off sealant looks very similar to Milkit, except that Muc-Off is colored with a UV dye and Milkit is white.

havana

by havana

Don't use Muc-off. It's shite. It turns into a kind of glue that doesn't seal any punctures.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

bobones

by bobones

It bears repeating: just use Orange Seal Regular and Dynaplugs. Everything else is crap.

havana

by havana

IMHO Orange isn't any better than good old Schwalbe (=Stan's) which is about 50% of the price. Just my 2 cents.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

bobones

by bobones

Stan's isn't as good as OS at higher pressure IME. First sealant I ever bought was Stan's, and it was a major disappointment. The bottomline is: if you have trouble with road tubeless don't dismiss it or bother moaning about it until you're using OS and carry Dynaplugs. By all means stick with it if you've got something else that works for you, but 6+ years / 50k miles of road tubeless in all weathers trying different sealant brands and plug systems tells me that OS (reg) + Dynaplugs is the recipe for success, particularly if you're running at higher pressures e.g. 25 mm tyres at > 80 PSI / 5.5 bar.

TeaBasedOrganism

by TeaBasedOrganism

Orange seal regular and Dynaplugs have always been the best for me. Tried regular Stans, great for MTB but useless at higher pressures. Stans race really struggled to seal around the bead, didn't dry and 'glue' the tyre on in the same way Orange does, could have just been a bad bottle though. Didn't use it long enough to test puncture sealing. My only experiance with Mucoff has been cleaning it of a friends TT bike pre-nationals, took me well over an hour (with their stupid sealant remover) to get the seattube clean. Would never subject my bike to that stuff.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Maddie wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Because testers are often paid by manufacturers
Quite true. I had a chance tried out muc-off but can hardly said it worked well, so I turned back to Stans the other day. :noidea:

Stueys

by Stueys

bobones wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:30 pm
Stan's isn't as good as OS at higher pressure IME. First sealant I ever bought was Stan's, and it was a major disappointment. The bottomline is: if you have trouble with road tubeless don't dismiss it or bother moaning about it until you're using OS and carry Dynaplugs. By all means stick with it if you've got something else that works for you, but 6+ years / 50k miles of road tubeless in all weathers trying different sealant brands and plug systems tells me that OS (reg) + Dynaplugs is the recipe for success, particularly if you're running at higher pressures e.g. 25 mm tyres at > 80 PSI / 5.5 bar.
I'd agree with this, though I would say that I found Stans Race to be pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stueys wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:56 pm

I'd agree with this, though I would say that I found Stans Race to be pretty good.
For MTB maybe, but it's really just the same super low-viscosity base as regular Stan's with "XL" crystals that are too large to actually do anything in a road tire. Either the puncture can be dammed with regular sized Stan's crystals or it's going to be large enough to never seal at high pressures without a real self-vulcanizing plug like a DynaPlug. It also doesn't play nice with liners or Fillmore valves.