muc-off tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

MikeD wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:39 pm
Maybe no sealants like water. The sealant has to dry to work, no?
Ya that I do not know since I have only tried one sealant so far. I guess I'll find out at some point next season with the Orange Sealant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

Deleted

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

My end experience with Muc Off-
Effective at MTB pressure but pooor overall at higher pressures.
I also noted that wet conditions seemed to unplug the punctures.

souplesse

by souplesse

I recently bought into the Orange Seal hype, but after it failed to do anything to three separate punctures, I went back to Muc-Off which I've been very happy with in the past. I'm sure Orange Seal works well for many, just as Muc-Off does for me. I've been happy with Stans as well.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Muc-Off is water soluble so yeah it’s going to suck in wet conditions. It does clean off the inside of a tire very easily with hot water though.

Muc-Off works well if you’re willing to use double the volume as a normal sealant, but it keeps getting thicker / more viscous as it loses its carrier fluid. The ratio of solid material to liquid is also very high to start. When dry it weighed 2x dried Orange Seal.

djemz

by djemz

2 flats in 3000 kms with muc off in my gravel bike. The sad thing is that I bought a big bottle of that garbage.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Rule 1 of tubeless in my experience is to check with the tyre manufacturer what sealant they recommend.

I have had zero issues as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InSeyne

by InSeyne

I have been using Caffelatex for 5 years with no issues at all. Not many seem to use it. It was recommended to me when I first started with tubeless and I've had no reason change.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:42 pm
Muc-Off is water soluble so yeah it’s going to suck in wet conditions. It does clean off the inside of a tire very easily with hot water though.
I don't know what the chemistry is but rather like modern paints ('water borne') it cures outside the tyre to be very insoluble indeed... I made the mistake of leaving smudges of it on the bike and rim overnight and the best (but still pretty ineffective) solvent I could find was isopropanol; ended up having to wrap and bag sections to keep it wet and let the iso soften it.

In any case as a majority of punctures occur in the wet, I've found it absolutely useless as it immediately washes away in those circumstances.

I'm currently moderately impressed with Milkit which was top of Tours test (in which muc off did well also...) As it appears to have sealed at least 14 holes on my rear Cinturato: it weeps very slowly a colourless/oderlous fluid from the wounds. But it failed miserably to seal a hole made by a 2mm tack in the dry and with a fresh 60ml charge. Strange thing is that's also similarly soluble and absent pink dye I'd swear it's the same stuff...

The various videos of people putting massive screwdrivers through the tread I find very difficult to reconcile with performance in the field.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Stans race has never failed me. It's the only sealant to reliably seal.

MikeD

by MikeD

ultimobici wrote:Rule 1 of tubeless in my experience is to check with the tyre manufacturer what sealant they recommend.

I doubt that matters. Tires are constructed similarly.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

MikeD wrote:
ultimobici wrote:Rule 1 of tubeless in my experience is to check with the tyre manufacturer what sealant they recommend.

I doubt that matters. Tires are constructed similarly.
Far from it. Different construction methods mean that the sealant behaves differently. That’s why Veloflex recommend specific sealant. That’s why Continental and Vittoria don’t work with the same sealant.

otnemem

by otnemem

This thread is peak survivorship bias. Unfortunately there's really no good alternative since the (3rd party) testing is so poor.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ultimobici wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:57 pm
Far from it. Different construction methods mean that the sealant behaves differently. That’s why Veloflex recommend specific sealant. That’s why Continental and Vittoria don’t work with the same sealant.
I've had good results with Effetto Mariposa sealant on the Conti GP5000S TR.

This sealant is recommended for Vittoria Tubs with latex inner tubes, but also seems to work with Conti.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

bobones

by bobones

I'm sticking with Orange Seal regular. I've recently been using Muc-Off, Milkit and Silca (in an effort to get rid of them), and I don't rate any of them. Muc-Off and Milkit are both too think and don't seal well. Silca is messy because you can't inject it, and it dried out quickly for me.

OS isn't perfect, but I have had more success with it actually managing to seal punctures at road pressures than anything else I've tried, and that includes Stans, Oko, Hutchinsons, OS Endurance, and Decathlon own brand. I haven't tried Effetto Mariposa, so may give it bash once I've used up this batch of OS as I have seen it recommended a few times, but I ususally end up disappointed when I try something else and then promise myself to never use anything other than Orange Seal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com