SIS drink mix scam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fljones3

by fljones3

I just purchased some of the SIS Raspberry for my wife and they have changed the scoop. I did not measure the amount.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

joejack951 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:23 pm
RDY wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:54 pm
Why would you buy something with aspartame in it anyway.
The company, SIS, sure seems to not want you to know it's in there. I personally would not expect a sports drink mix to contain anything of the sort, unless it was specifically advertised as low sugar, i.e. Gatorade G2.

Right? It makes no sense. Even something like Skratch Superfuel which basically uses a lot of non-sweet fancy rice or corn starch is sweet enough, especially once you’re exerting yourself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ive used Beta Fuel for years.. always found it a little too sweet, but it has been solid for me. Been on Maurten for a few months now with no issues, but still have some beta fuel to move through.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:14 am
Ive used Beta Fuel for years.. always found it a little too sweet, but it has been solid for me. Been on Maurten for a few months now with no issues, but still have some beta fuel to move through.
Beta Fuel is very sweet, but still not as sickly sweet as SiS Go, but then again apparently I’d been using nearly twice as much as instructed thanks to the scoop size discrepancy. For liquid nutrition, I switched to Skratch Superfuel when it came out a couple years ago. I did try to find a source branched/cyclic cluster dextrin, but it costs about the same as Superfuel anyway. The regular Skratch mix is the most palatable as well.

I use Gu gels as well to help supplement carb intake on cooler days.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

It blew my mind that SiS has aspartame. It gives me headaches, which is how I discovered it. Shame on me for not reading the label more closely but who woulda thought they would use something like that!
also, Osmo over Skratch Labs any day.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

RadB

by RadB

pmprego wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:02 pm
RadB wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:00 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 am
> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
Of course not, I use one weird trick and doctors hate it.
Damn... I must be low on the irony today. I'm not following your comments.
I wasn't that serious but yeah I usually do my own mix with a hefty mix of electrolyte powder, Malto and fructose. It's around 110-120grams in a 750ml bottle.

I've tried sis electrolyte powder in the past, tastes great but does nothing for me. I've used beta fuel a few times, but cramped both time I used it during racing, have a box of it remaining. But diy for me.

pmprego

by pmprego

RadB wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:59 am
pmprego wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:02 pm
RadB wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:00 pm
MagicShite wrote:
> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

Of course not, I use one weird trick and doctors hate it.
Damn... I must be low on the irony today. I'm not following your comments.
I wasn't that serious but yeah I usually do my own mix with a hefty mix of electrolyte powder, Malto and fructose. It's around 110-120grams in a 750ml bottle.

I've tried sis electrolyte powder in the past, tastes great but does nothing for me. I've used beta fuel a few times, but cramped both time I used it during racing, have a box of it remaining. But diy for me.
Beta fuel has no electrolytes. I noticed this after cramping hard on a race. When I add my own electrolytes to it, worked fine. But I buy malto and fructose separately myself and mix it according to my preferences. I also use liquiflav to add flavours.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pmprego wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:12 am

Beta fuel has no electrolytes. I noticed this after cramping hard on a race. When I add my own electrolytes to it, worked fine. But I buy malto and fructose separately myself and mix it according to my preferences. I also use liquiflav to add flavours.

The older formula had ~200mg sodium like Maurten. Really bizarre how they cut it out completely from the 2.0 version. Superfuel has 400mg per serving, which is closer to what I’d expect if you’re going to be relying completely on your bottles for electrolytes.

I looked up Osmo and it also has about 200mg sodium per serving, but only 17g of carbs.

I suppose you could just add 1 gram of table salt to a bottle of Beta Fuel 2.0.

RDY

by RDY

Just add some carob molasses and rock salt (high mineral content one per the pink ones) to your water bottles, and if you really want to be anal, contents of a magnesium / potassium capsule to each one.

You don't NEED dextrose. And you certainly don't need all the chemicals these kind of products usually have. And it'll taste a hell of a lot better and won't rot your teeth as badly.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:44 am
Just add some carob molasses and rock salt (high mineral content one per the pink ones) to your water bottles, and if you really want to be anal, contents of a magnesium / potassium capsule to each one.

You don't NEED dextrose. And you certainly don't need all the chemicals these kind of products usually have. And it'll taste a hell of a lot better and won't rot your teeth as badly.

There’s merit in using cyclic dextrin like Superfuel has. It’s more like eating liquid bread or porridge/oatmeal than consuming pure sugars, so it’s less likely to upset your stomach, especially when relying solely on it as a fuel source.

I would buy cyclic dextrin and make my own mix with a bit of lemon juice, salt and added sugar, but it’s nearly as expensive as Superfuel.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:08 pm
Curios if anyone else has noticed this or if more companies do the same.
Just to come back to the original question, just checked: with that same 35ml scoop, 2 scoops of SIS electrolyte lemon/lime is 40-42gr on my scales. No scam in my view...

check6

by check6

And my last SiS had aspartame in it as sweetener. That was the end of SiS hydration mix for me. Moved to Tailwind and like it MUCH better.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:28 pm
RDY wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:44 am

There’s merit in using cyclic dextrin like Superfuel has. It’s more like eating liquid bread or porridge/oatmeal than consuming pure sugars, so it’s less likely to upset your stomach, especially when relying solely on it as a fuel source.

I would buy cyclic dextrin and make my own mix with a bit of lemon juice, salt and added sugar, but it’s nearly as expensive as Superfuel.
I didn't know baout this cyclic dextrin. Is is kinf of a (better) replacement for maltodextrin?

glepore

by glepore

MagicShite wrote:
> 2022 almost ending

Huh? I 've been using malto and fructose(2-1) flavored with grapefruit citric acid for a long time. Works a charm.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

Well, from my experience, SIS seems to ship two types of scoops; a round transparent one with their energy line and a black one for protein. But I also changed away from SIS simply from a cost perspective to Decathlon products. If I do a 6h training ride and eat a bar or gel every 30min. that shit gets really expensive using premium products. Also regarding the number of scoops, I use 150% of what is recommended on the box because as said already in this thread, you just need carbs. Tried to up the sugars without upsetting my gut, which takes some buildup but it now enables me to hold a much higher power, certainly for really long rides. Even burning fat is impossible without carbs and keto is just not cutting it for sufficient energy production. The drinks powder from Decathlon also contains some vitamins and minerals which help against fatigue but for me the convenience and consistency would be a reason why I don't try to make my own powder. For €20 for 2kg, I just don't bother. Try to avoid the "+" line of their powders however, they are ridicilously salty. But sport drinks are really subjective, some people may hate what you drink.