SIS drink mix scam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So I recently noticed the scoop of SIS’s drink mix doesn’t match their instructions printed on the label.

Instructions say that 2 scoops would result in 40g

But the scoop has a 35ml print on it.

And when I weighed it (zero’d the scoop), it became clear that something is wrong. If you where to follow their instructions, you would end up with 60g of drink mix instead of 40g.

Curios if anyone else has noticed this or if more companies do the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I used to buy those drinks but not anymore. I just put plain water in my bottles. Now no more mold grows in the bottles and I don't notice any difference by not using the drinking powder. I also used to buy alot of gels but not anymore. Just have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes I ride fasted.

Ever notice the packaging is getting smaller than what it used to be? Paying more for less.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Millilitres are a measure of volume. Grams are a measure of weight. These are not comparable unless measuring water.

I agree that these drinks are a scam, however; for different reason to the post though

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Zakalwe wrote:Millilitres are a measure of volume. Grams are a measure of weight. These are not comparable unless measuring water.

I agree that these drinks are a scam, however; for different reason to the post though
I know, that’s why I included the scale shot

Lina

by Lina

Stormtrooper wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:58 pm
I used to buy those drinks but not anymore. I just put plain water in my bottles. Now no more mold grows in the bottles and I don't notice any difference by not using the drinking powder. I also used to buy alot of gels but not anymore. Just have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes I ride fasted.

Ever notice the packaging is getting smaller than what it used to be? Paying more for less.
So you don't ride much I take it. Because you simply need sugars for energy on longer harder rides.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Most rides are no longer than 2 hours. Sunday rides 3 -4 hours. Anything after that I might stop and pick a snicker bar or something.

pmprego

by pmprego

Stormtrooper wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:51 pm
Most rides are no longer than 2 hours. Sunday rides 3 -4 hours. Anything after that I might stop and pick a snicker bar or something.
So there was a question from a forum user (in this a case a moderator) and you just decided to high jack the thread to talk about you. OK. :thumbup:

W.r.t. The original question I use a kitchen scale to make sure of the quantities. The scale has a margin of error around 5-10% (its a lot) but it serves the purpose and its easy to use and wipe clean.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stormtrooper wrote:
Grats, you either have no idea how to fuel of you’ve never ridden hard enough for it to matter. I have to take in 30g worth of carbs per 30min minimum in a race, and usually I err on the side of caution and take in 40g.

I take all my nutrition during races in the form of mix and a refillable flask that holds 6 packets worth of gels. I absolutely cannot stand trying to munch on a bar in the middle of a race…and then someone attacks while I have a desert dry mouth filled with an unswallowable wad of mashed up dates/soy/whatever.

Anyway SiS is really questionable stuff. Their mixes contain or have contained artificial sweeteners for lord knows what reason. The real sugars required to make these mixes already sweeten the product enough. I really get that taste of aspartame or whatever…it’s terrible.

I stick to Skratch Superfuel for races and their regular mix for some training days. On cooler days I’ll use plain water and gels since hydration requirements are lower.

As for the scoop size discrepancy. Sometimes these brands advise you shovel out a “rounded” scoop, which would probably end up close to 40g.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stormtrooper wrote:
Mine are about same, i guess you and me aren't racing so we don't need to pack tons of sugar.
I usually have one 750ml bottle with some sort of drink and one smaller with water. For longer rides i have same as you.
If i ride much longer than 2 hours i need something or blood sugar drop too much. Usually something i chew on.
But i admit, sometimes i push harder and i feel blood sugar is rock bottom.
Some older guys i know of, have a pocket full of bananas :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Even riding low Z2 for 4 hours, I’d want to start fueling right away… the carb requirement will be slightly lower, but it’s best to spread it out over regular intervals than to wait until 2 hours in. You will feel so much better…

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

@robbossman have you reached out to sis to ask them? Personally that's a big difference in the amount of product being consumed.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

MagicShite

by MagicShite

> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Stopped buying any pre-made expensive drink mix stuff a couple of years ago. Now on, I just use brown sugar, which is 50:50 glucose/fructose, and super easy to calculate naturally - the grams added to your water bottle are the grams of carbs you'll have with you, that's it.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:26 am
As for the scoop size discrepancy. Sometimes these brands advise you shovel out a “rounded” scoop, which would probably end up close to 40g.
OPs instructions say 2 scoops. What you say would make it 80 grams. The problem is the scoop is too big, not too small

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 am
> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
Can you elaborate?