2022 Canyon Aeroad Headset Bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goixiz

by goixiz

Aeroroad CFR 2022/23
Planning to replace a headset bearing / How much would a reputable shop charge for this ?
Questions:
1. Any options to not have to remove brake lines (both F & R) ? - (Hoping for Yes but i kinda know the answer)
2. If cutting the hydraulic line (SRAM red Hydraulic) - whats the probability of not have to replace the entire Hydraulic line?
3. If replacing rear line whats the probability not have to remove the BB ?
4. What aero bikes have a better HS Bearing system that does not require Hydraulic lines removal ??

Thanks in advance.
- Eat More Rice !

tomtom

by tomtom

goixiz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm
Aeroroad CFR 2022/23
Planning to replace a headset bearing / How much would a reputable shop charge for this ?
Questions:
1. Any options to not have to remove brake lines (both F & R) ? - (Hoping for Yes but i kinda know the answer)
2. If cutting the hydraulic line (SRAM red Hydraulic) - whats the probability of not have to replace the entire Hydraulic line?
3. If replacing rear line whats the probability not have to remove the BB ?
4. What aero bikes have a better HS Bearing system that does not require Hydraulic lines removal ??

Thanks in advance.
1. No
2. If done right (small piece removed) no problem
3. More hassle leaving the BB in place
4. No idea.....
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcfred

by xcfred

double post
Last edited by xcfred on Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

xcfred

by xcfred

My 2023 Aeroroad is 3 months old with 1,000 miles and the headset bearings are already rusty and making creaking/clicking noises when I'm out of the saddle. I took it as much apart as I could and put on some grease and that quieted it a bit but now it feels rough and makes a sound when I turn like the cable is binding. I feel that I should not be responsible to cover what I'm sure will be an expensive shop bill to get this fixed. Totally unacceptable. has anyone had any luck contacting Canyon?

TheLuddite

by TheLuddite

xcfred wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:40 am
has anyone had any luck contacting Canyon?
I have. Quite a few times over the years. Both on their online contact and by phone. In your case I would probably opt for phone contact.

Henricus

by Henricus

Does anyone know if the lower bearing is a 'press-fit' bearing?
I have a new Aeroad and after reading that the bearings are mounted kind of dry i wanted to regrease them.
Upper bearing was loose and therefor easy to regrease.
I took of the little bracket and expected that the bearing came loose. But it was tight in the frame and i did not want to use more force to get it loose.
Attachments
headset.jpg

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Henricus wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 pm
Does anyone know if the lower bearing is a 'press-fit' bearing?
I have a new Aeroad and after reading that the bearings are mounted kind of dry i wanted to regrease them.
Upper bearing was loose and therefor easy to regrease.
I took of the little bracket and expected that the bearing came loose. But it was tight in the frame and i did not want to use more force to get it loose.
Not a press fit. That little bracket is for the rotational lock-out so you don't over turn your bars and damage the cables running through the headset. If you loosen the set screw near the spacers at the top of the headset, you can gently pull the fork down and the bearing will fall out once that small bracket is removed. Super easy. Happy to help further if you want to PM me. I can walk you through the process.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Henricus

by Henricus

Cannoli wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:55 am
Not a press fit. That little bracket is for the rotational lock-out so you don't over turn your bars and damage the cables running through the headset. If you loosen the set screw near the spacers at the top of the headset, you can gently pull the fork down and the bearing will fall out once that small bracket is removed. Super easy. Happy to help further if you want to PM me. I can walk you through the process.
I loosened the set screw and the fork came down. After i took of the little bracket i expected the bearing will fall down but it was tight.
What tool can be used to gently help the bearing come down? (There is not much space to put something in between)

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Use a dental pic, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Den ... hdGY&psc=1

If greased correctly, it shouldn't be in there tight.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Henricus

by Henricus

@Cannoli thanks!

BenCousins

by BenCousins

xcfred wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:40 am
My 2023 Aeroroad is 3 months old with 1,000 miles and the headset bearings are already rusty and making creaking/clicking noises when I'm out of the saddle. I took it as much apart as I could and put on some grease and that quieted it a bit but now it feels rough and makes a sound when I turn like the cable is binding. I feel that I should not be responsible to cover what I'm sure will be an expensive shop bill to get this fixed. Totally unacceptable. has anyone had any luck contacting Canyon?
You have a two year warranty including labor. My crappy Canyon from the crappy company was in the shop in Stockholm about 4 times in the 6 months I owned it. I also had headset bearing wear. It's a terrible seal. Don't expect however a nice attitude from the customer service people at Canyon HQ. They are aggressive.

Their focus is on targetting pro sponsorship, the website and making bikes that look good. The engineering is no longer good. Probably related to TSG getting involved in 2016. At that point they would have been aiming at the metrics needed to get to a good exit (as they did in 2020), not to ones that reflect in a good customer experience.

https://www.tsgconsumer.com/canyon-case-study

"TSG helped Canyon optimize its supply chain and distribution, allowing them to maintain its high standards for quality and craftsmanship, but in a more efficient, scalable, and cost-effective manner. "

We all know what that means.
Last edited by BenCousins on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

double post