Strada Bianche Gran Fondo - tyre / setup advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PaulJ

by PaulJ

Hi all,

A handful of us have enterered the 2023 Strada Bianche Fondo, all for the first time. I'm looking for set up advice from others who have ridden the event previously or know the area, especially when it comes to tyres! I'm planning on using my '21 Giant TCR Advanced disc, with likely 30mm tyres, what are your thoughts? I've really no idea what to expect - I've watched a few vlog style videos and all the gravel sectors look pretty smooth, and I'm concious this is a road event so don't want to set the bike up to be too biased towards the loose stuff. That being said, a 30-32mm tyre at low pressure is a lot better on the road than a 25mm at road pressures in on un-paved surfaces, so I guess it's about finding that balance point between the two.

For extra info, we're all from the UK and fequently ride 'gravel', however this typically consists of 20% gravel, 30% fields and 50% road. For those rides, we all use 'gravel' bikes, with big tyre volume. Given this is a road not gravel event, we're all looking to take road bikes, all used to tubless etc, and have a half decent degree of confidence riding un-paved surfaces.

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

I also live in the UK and have entered the 2023 edition - I don't expect this to be remotely close to stuff like the Dirty Reiver. I would probably do it on 30-32mm fast road tyres, tubeless of course. Probably 34mm would be still good but I'd rather keep the ability to run GP5K or similar. A road bike would definitely suffice - I think there's going to be way, way too many cyclists to be really pushing off road, and given that it's our first rodeo we'll be starting at the back, which means even more traffic. A full field of 6.5k riders means 4-5x those at the Dirty Reiver..

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I rode it pre corona on a Baum Cubano Ti Bike with 28mm on lightweight wheels (lol) and then let a little air out just like when I rode the flanders everything was fine.

But now on my new bike with disc, wider wheels and tubeless I would go with 30mm.. Not any bigger, it's not full gravel, so will still go for the road bike feel and not gravel feel if you feel me? (that's alot of feel)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I haven't ridden the Fondo itself, but have ridden many the gravel sectors that often feature in the race and many others in the area as well. I used 30mm Vittoria Corsa Control at 60 - 65 psi (with latex inner tubes 8) ). Because you will be riding the day after the race and on the same sectors, I assume the gravel will be in good shape which would make 28mm a possibility. However, if the route puts you on even slightly downhill gravel sectors, you will be thanking various dieties for every millimeter of tire width every time the road bends in any direction. Some of the curves and corners will have a loose topping and it's terrifying to lean the bike. See Remco, Adam Yates at the Giro a couple of years ago. It can get scary if you are moving quick.

Another thing you might have to deal with is bigger stones embedded in rock hard compressed dirt. If the Spring is dry and hot, and depending on the exact route, there is a good chance some sectors will have surprisingly large rocks embedded in the road surface. Can have an almost Paris Roubaix cobble effect - really hammers you and the bike.

Bottom line, I would go with the biggest tires your Giant can handle, set at the lowest sensible pressure. Unless you are planning to win or achieve some high finish position, why take any unecessary risk. It's only 30km of gravel, but a lot can go wrong in 30km.

A final point, while I suspect the route is neutered of the tougher sectors, some of the climbs may be nasty steep, so you really can't have too easy of a gear. Lack of traction means out-of-the-saddle is not an option. Big soft tires will help here also. And that last little ramp before entering the Piazza del Campo is an absolute wall and you will hit it with tired legs - one of the most intimidating sights after a hard day. I'm jealous - have fun.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PaulJ

by PaulJ

Thank you, those are some very helpful replies!

Mr.Gib - it is actually the gradient which worries me most. The surface can largely be overcome with bike setup, but it's down to me to pedal it up 18% ramps after a hard few hours riding! This will be the first time I have ridden outside the UK, and I can't wait to take it all in.

urturt

by urturt

I have ridden the Strade GF 6 times and its my absolute favourite gran fondo. I can recommend 30mm tubeless setup with either any of the high-end road racing tires. I have used Pirellis P Zero with no punctures for the last 3 versions. If you do puncture, it most likely, wont be because of a cut but moreover a sneak bite.

Last year they introduced addtional gravel sections with Monte Sante Marie being by far the most challening one. Its quite rocky and had some larger sized stones.

To conclude go for 30mm tubeless setup you wont feel slower the tarmac sections.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

PaulJ wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:39 am
Thank you, those are some very helpful replies!

Mr.Gib - it is actually the gradient which worries me most. The surface can largely be overcome with bike setup, but it's down to me to pedal it up 18% ramps after a hard few hours riding! This will be the first time I have ridden outside the UK, and I can't wait to take it all in.
Well, be prepared to have your mind blown. My sense is you will use 34x34 gearing if you have it, and wish you had it if you go with something harder. And if it rains... :unbelievable:
Watch from about 1:06:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__WabDQY4Gc
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PaulJ

by PaulJ

I thought I might update this, just incase any one is looking for the same advice in the future.

First up, we had fantastic conditions. A chilly start,~3°C, but was up to ~15°C in places and by the end, with very little wind, and bone dry. I rode my '21 TCR disc with 32mm GP5000S TR set up tubeless, 50/34 front with an 11-32 cassette. For me, this set up was ideal, I wouldn't say I ever felt particularly underbiked on the gravel sectors, and was appreciative of the fast road tyres for the road sections, of which there is a lot - particulart in the middle 50-80% of the ride which I found a real slog. There were maybe 1 or 2 downhill gravel sections which felt a little sketchy, but nothing worth considering a more gravel biased setup given the other 98% of the parcours.

My advice to anyone doing the event in the future:

- A road bike is completely fine. A couple of guys in our party took gravel bikes, but still ran 32mm road tyres. I saw plenty of gravel bikes being used, and it might be worth considering if you aren't a particularly confident rider or have no off road experience, but it's not a necessity.

- Some of the climbs are very steep, so gearing is your friend, but are never very long. The sort of thing you can just dig deep and get up, rather than trying to pace. Don't underestimate how fast some of the road sections are though!

- Tubeless is a must. I saw SO many people pulling tubes out their tyres on the gravel sectors.

- Have good, tight, bottle cages. Some of the decents are fast and bumpy. I lost a bottle but was fortunate it was in a place where I could stop and retrieve it. There were an aweful lot of lost bottles and saddle bags strewn along the course.

- We stayed in Siena, and on the Friday did a 50km loop did the first 35km of the course, going over the first 2 gravel sections and then directly back to Siena and up the final climb up to the Piazza. This was really beneficial to know what to expect on the day. The last climb in the town really isn't that bad, yes it's steep, but also short. I perhaps left too much in the tank as it was playing on my mind through the day, but there we go.

All in all, a really enjoyable event. The scenery is stunning, and whilst the ride is challenging it's definitely in the 'hard but enjoyable' bracket.

andrewkilbey

by andrewkilbey

Also rode the Strada Bianchi, also had 32 tubeless (pirelli cinturato p7's). No punctures. I would agree that this is the sweet spot. Saddle bag kept flapping about so had to keep stopping to reattach. Bottles absolutely everywhere so I would recommend you really think about your cage & bottle combination.

I echo what PaulJ says about the ride. The gravel was not the killer it was the hills. However it was dry so could be very different if wet.

My recommedation is always keep your head up. The landscape is staggeringly beautiful. Every single mile is a take your breath away moment.

Siena is an amazing place that, if it is not on your holiday list, it really should be.

The biggest negative I can think of about the ride is the Winter training.

vinssout

by vinssout

Also rode 2023 strade bianche, with two turbo sworks 30mm clincher and latex tubes. No puncture, no problem.
Finished 12th with this setup. Can be better with tubeless but clincher was OK.

My girldfriend did the race with turbo cotton 28mm and aerothan tubes. But it's not the best idea for a men or heavy rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com